SR60-Mod
Jun 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #4,412 of 5,004
The answer to this question is probably buried in the thread already, but I'm wondering if the drivers for the 325's have the same plastic enclosure? I'm looking at the Jaben alumod right now which seems to replace the outer shell. I'm thinking if I put my 225 drivers in there, that would essentially give me a 325. But the price of the Jaben mod is the price difference between a 325 and a 225 right now so perhaps I should just spring for the 325s to get a taste of the aluminum. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #4,413 of 5,004
If I recall correctly the 325i has the same plastic driver enclosure as the 225i but has aluminum shells instead of plastic shells. Also from pics earlier in the thread it looks like the 225 and 325 driver enclosures are both a bit taller then driver enclosures on lower end Grados.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #4,415 of 5,004

Quote:

If I recall correctly the 325i has the same plastic driver enclosure as the 225i but has aluminum shells instead of plastic shells. Also from pics earlier in the thread it looks like the 225 and 325 driver enclosures are both a bit taller then driver enclosures on lower end Grados.

I just took a pair of 325 goldies apart last night ( I know, that's kind of sacrilege, but I've done worse things) for a woody mod, and yes, the only difference between the 225 and 325 enclosures is the aluminum cups. 

Quote:

I'm thinking of getting around to making my own woodies.  Is there a SQ difference between the mushroom style cups and the less complex RS1-esque cylinder cups?

No.  If they are the same wood, same diameter hole and overall same wall thickness, both styles will sound the same.  However, the longer/shorter you go, it will change the sound alittle.  There's also a small but perceived difference between a metal and wood cups. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #4,416 of 5,004

Quote:
The answer to this question is probably buried in the thread already, but I'm wondering if the drivers for the 325's have the same plastic enclosure? I'm looking at the Jaben alumod right now which seems to replace the outer shell. I'm thinking if I put my 225 drivers in there, that would essentially give me a 325. But the price of the Jaben mod is the price difference between a 325 and a 225 right now so perhaps I should just spring for the 325s to get a taste of the aluminum. 

The SR-325i / SR-325is should also provide you with a better headband.  My SR-325i "Goldies" have a much nicer leather / pleather head band when compared to a pair of SR-225i headphones.  Chances are, the SR-325i head band might suffice to the point that one may not decide to swap it out from something along the lines of a Jmoney head band.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4,417 of 5,004

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting around to making my own woodies.  Is there a SQ difference between the mushroom style cups and the less complex RS1-esque cylinder cups?

I haven't had much time on my oversized burl cups (undergoing some renovations) and then I have my empty mushroom cups awaiting drivers.  However, I also have a pair of "minimalist" woody SR-225 headphones where the wooden cups are even smaller than those that are on the RS-1.  However, the sound they produce are far, far superior over the stock SR-225.  The "minimalist" woody SR-225 headphones are some of the lightest and best fitting headphones I've ever owned when it comes to the Grado line.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #4,418 of 5,004
Just have to say got my allesandro ms1i's today am listening through my mustang and they are truly excellent.

Can't wait to get modding them and really make them shine, many thanks bilavideo you made me bite the bullet and get them because of this thread! :)

Am looking forward to woodying them just need a good source of tonewood in Ireland

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #4,419 of 5,004
So, the cloth that I put on the back of the driver worked so well that I actually ended up poking one hole. I'm thinking the one hole will be perfect with the longer wooden cups. They pack quite a punch. Of course, some recordings beg for a bit more bass, but with the one hole I have yet to find a recording that sounds bad because of too much bass. I they they are where I want them.. Now, I can maybe focus on cleaning up the solder job and putting some screens on them and calling them finished :) 

Then again, I might have to poke one more :D. inb4 I end up poking all 10 holes and then covering them all back up again. At least I already have the cloth this time :p

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #4,420 of 5,004

Quote:
So, the cloth that I put on the back of the driver worked so well that I actually ended up poking one hole. I'm thinking the one hole will be perfect with the longer wooden cups. They pack quite a punch. Of course, some recordings beg for a bit more bass, but with the one hole I have yet to find a recording that sounds bad because of too much bass. I they they are where I want them.. Now, I can maybe focus on cleaning up the solder job and putting some screens on them and calling them finished :) 

Then again, I might have to poke one more :D. inb4 I end up poking all 10 holes and then covering them all back up again. At least I already have the cloth this time :p

What do you use to attach the cloth? I've tried using a ply of tissue paper but it was not easy to handle nor attach.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #4,421 of 5,004

Quote:
So, the cloth that I put on the back of the driver worked so well that I actually ended up poking one hole. 

Chris, that's great to hear.  So, the cloth was muslin that you purchased, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslin

Also, I just wanted to ensure you were not attacked by an old ladies while you were in the store. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,422 of 5,004

Quote:
Chris, that's great to hear.  So, the cloth was muslin that you purchased, right?

"It was muslin cloth that you purchased, right?" or "the cloth that you purchased was muslin, right?" XD OCD is OCD

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #4,423 of 5,004

Quote:
 Now, I can maybe focus on cleaning up the solder job and putting some screens on them and calling them finished :) 

Yeah dude, I want to see them!

I'm going to have to read up a little more on this muslin cloth you speak of.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #4,424 of 5,004
My sr80's in aluminium cups feels too bassy still, i'd rather something flat with a nice punch, kind of like the MS1. So i'll give it a try to that felt Chris speak of. Isnt that the one in wedding dresses? I believe my mom has a very old one in her closet. wouldnt harm anyone...

Wje, got the MS1 already?

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #4,425 of 5,004

Quote:
What do you use to attach the cloth? I've tried using a ply of tissue paper but it was not easy to handle nor attach.

I wouldn't use tissue paper, or any paper.. I'd find a thin cloth you could see though, like moslin. felt is too thick and absorbs the higher frequencies. Cloth is the way to go. Something thin, Like a bandana. I was going to use a bandana but, I found some thin black cloth that seemed just a bit thicker and higher quality so I used it. I cut 4 C shaped pieces and attached it using small dabs of elmers glue inbetween the holes. I applied the glue with a toothpick :). If anyone is having too hard of a time finding a bit of the cloth, let me know and I can send you a bit. However, it should be easy to find something locally. If I hadn't been picky I'm pretty sure the black bandana I found would have worked just fine. Let me know Nightslayer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back