SR60-Mod
Jun 3, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #4,172 of 5,004

shipsupt,

I think Grado should stand up and take notice.  They should also be scouting around for some talent out there to take on board to make some updates on their line - consulting with these outside DIY / talented individuals would be a great place for them to start looking.

I am constantly amazed at what some folks on here are capable of...

OMG! Simply beautiful job!

Where can I order those cups? My 225's are in dire need of them...

http://www.techheromods.com/

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #4,173 of 5,004

Quote:
Ok... they are SR-80's not 60's, and I did little to no of the DIY, I just put the pieces together... but it was this thread that has provided the inspiration so I thought I'd share it here.  Thanks!  The teaser to my impressions thread I hope to post this weekend is that it was all worth it!  I'll post a link when it goes up in case anyone is remotely interested.

SR-80, TechHeroMod (bigrock2150) GS-1000 cocobolo cups.  Pictures do no justice to Rahkim's master woodworking skills.

Ship those things are awesome. I need one of those leather headbands. Saintkeat gave me a way to go possibly but the guy is pretty booked up. I think I'm going to contact a local shoe repair guy and see if they can do it first. Looking forward to your impressions. Hope they sound as amazing as they look and I'm sure they do.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #4,174 of 5,004
omg so many awesome mods lately!

so I wait or 3 days and the guy at the leather shop did nothign, he just kept the grado headband there and told me he couldnt make time for it. bummer. i had to leave the city and be back next month and maybe look for a more professional shop.

the one on shipsupt looks gorgeous

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #4,175 of 5,004
Started reading around 10pm last night.  Finished all 279 pages.  I skipped a few every now and then and skimmed a bunch of posts.  But ~24h is pretty good, imo, haha.

Love all the work everyone has done on this, and I look forward to eventually doing a pair.  

I have looked at all the pictures and really seem to prefer darker and/or redder woods.  Which of these provide the best benefit for the cost?  I saw all the Taylor wood charts (I think they were from Taylor) but I have no concept of price for the woods.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #4,177 of 5,004
Okay, okay...NOW I like the look of cocobolo.  Jeez.  Nice photo, ship!

Quote:
Ok... they are SR-80's not 60's, and I did little to no of the DIY, I just put the pieces together... but it was this thread that has provided the inspiration so I thought I'd share it here.  Thanks!  The teaser to my impressions thread I hope to post this weekend is that it was all worth it!  I'll post a link when it goes up in case anyone is remotely interested.

SR-80, TechHeroMod (bigrock2150) GS-1000 cocobolo cups.  Pictures do no justice to Rahkim's master woodworking skills.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #4,178 of 5,004
GS cups looks great, but rests bass with too much weith, i think you must increase them with flats or holes. My last desing have exactly the same weith tham RS1, they have the sound i like. But i change distribution of wood for a more beautiful cup, for me, of course.

http://recopasgrado.blogspot.com/
Desde España al resto del mundo.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4,179 of 5,004
Got the sparrow. Absolutely loving it with the dir9001 and the ad1852. Still need to get my cups in the mail, get the cable on, and dampen with some felt. 10 holes is too much. *Shrug* price I pay for my curiosity. I think I'm really going to be able to dial them in. 

on a side note: i received my fostex's.. No real burn in to speak of, but I'm impressed. They do neutrality, really well. Excellent range, while remaining neutral and not sounding too closed. I think they will benefit greatly from burn-in and some dynamat. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #4,180 of 5,004

Quote:
GS cups looks great, but rests bass with too much weith, i think you must increase them with flats or holes. My last desing have exactly the same weith tham RS1, they have the sound i like. But i change distribution of wood for a more beautiful cup, for me, of course.

http://recopasgrado.blogspot.com/
Desde España al resto del mundo.

I love the cups that are presented on this page.  Made with such passion.  

I can't wait for ...

I think I'll just pick up a pair of new SR-80i Grados to start the mod project.  
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #4,182 of 5,004

Quote:
Meanwhile, these arrived via Priority Mail on my doorstep this morning.  

I need to do a bit of re-work on the gimbles to fit my head correctly.  However, the sound ... oh my.  http://www.techheromods.com -- I love these guys.  
gs1000.gif

Yes, the gimbals were quite the experiment. If I can get them to more accurately fit everyones head I'll start offering them to my customers. I think next time I'll try to make the narrower so to allow more motion. 

Thanks for your business Wayne!

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #4,183 of 5,004
OK two questions, one for Chris and one for wje. Chris, What is your basic impression of the T50 sound versus the Grado sound. I know they are neutral but are they engaging?...and wje how do those burly cups compare to the modded 225's  you've been using?

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #4,184 of 5,004

Quote:
...and wje how do those burly cups compare to the modded 225's  you've been using?

They're two different beasts.  The original SR-225 Grados with the wooden cups that I have were cut by Bill and all 12 holes were poked out and new felt was installed along with Dynamat.  The new SR-225i "burls" have Dynamat installed, I'm not sure if any holes have been poked, the cups are larger in "area" and you have the "i" signature sound that changed slightly by Grado.  Plus, the SR-225i "burls" appear as if a new set were just taken and modded.  I'm not even sure of the break-in on these, yet.

The first set of SR-225 Grados that I have had for the past few months are very comfortable to use.  A while back in this thread, Ed and I were talking about the modified Grados and how they just fit and sound like a comfortable pair of jeans.  The SR-225i will take a bit of playing and adjusting so that I have the correct comfort level for myself.  The gimbals in the picture look like a light maple color, but in person the color is closer to the burl, yet still lighter.  The burl wood itself is beyond any words that can describe it.  It's just unique and beautiful.

I remember watching an episode on A&E's "Intervention" a few years back.  There was a guy who was a meth addict and all he'd do all day long is go out looking for burl.  It was like gold to him.  Hauling in several pieces after finding it meant a great pay-off for him.  I guess ever since that time, I've been more fond of burl - and, can appreciate the beauty of it.  I'm not sure what became of the guy and his addiction, though.

I won't have really any headphone time this evening.  We have 2 birthday parties to tend to.  I have some Mike's Hard Lemonade to answer to - fortunately, we'll be walking.  
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #4,185 of 5,004

Quote:
OK two questions, one for Chris and one for wje. Chris, What is your basic impression of the T50 sound versus the Grado sound. I know they are neutral but are they engaging?...and wje how do those burly cups compare to the modded 225's  you've been using?

uhh, prelim results are prelim :) I'll give you more of an answer later. lets just say, they sound really nice. I think they need a bit of dampening and a lot of burn in. They definitely need amping of some sort. I can only use my sparrow for now, but I'll be able to comment on how well a simplistic amp like the pa2v2 works later. So far they compare to my MC5's while avoiding a sterile sound. The range is superb, while not emphasizing any specific part of the music. They will make a good companion pair of headphones to the Grado's, I think. The mids are very sweet. That is for sure. They are just a different beast :) But, I do like them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back