SR60-Mod
Jun 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #4,156 of 5,004
the butcher method of course.

heat and pull, but dont overheat. another thing I've seen, but never tried using an exacto to slit between the driver housing and the plastic inners. whatever you do be careful :D

and what cable is that? looks stunning

ps: the heat and pull was good enough for me but my outers ended up deformed, too much heat, imagine if they were inners with the driver so close...

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #4,157 of 5,004

Quote:
My mind staggers just trying to imagine how expensive that floor must be.

It's actually no more expensive than any other wood!! A real gem! Any of you cupmakers out there can build with this. I've been mulling it over. I might just woody another pair of grados/dennon/whatev, because that wood just blows my mind. It is very hard though. 2nd hardest on Janka test, but it is absolutely flooring. What a fine crown jewel. For any piece of furniture.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #4,158 of 5,004

Quote:
the butcher method of course.

heat and pull, but dont overheat. another thing I've seen, but never tried using an exacto to slit between the driver housing and the plastic inners. whatever you do be careful :D

and what cable is that? looks stunning

ps: the heat and pull was good enough for me but my outers ended up deformed, too much heat, imagine if they were inners with the driver so close...

haha.. i'm leaning towards using a jewlers flathead and a small hammer. 

cable is made by mr. pbandstefanwich. it is an 8 conductor silver cable made out of pure 28awg silver put in teflon and then litz braided. The bottom half has a cloth or nylon sleeve on it. The splitter is wooden with a carbon fiber inset in the middle. It looks cool. But how will it sound?

p.s. sorry about the text. my browser is acting funny.

I'm waiting on a bit of solder to get in. I think I might end up putting on the shells and then the cable. Probably. It's a shame, it is hanging in my closet looking all beautiful and not being seen. Kinda pissed Stefan sent it to me so quickly. Lol :) its teasing me hardcore. I got a 4 conductor one made up for a pair of my portapros that is just awesome looking and a sweet 10ft canare extension for when I want to move around or listen in bed. Can't wait for my cups and amp.

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #4,160 of 5,004

Quote:
Soooo. Which method am I going to use to partially liberate my drivers?

I used the Bila method. There is a video of it somewhere back in the thread, around January I think. Anyway essentially with magnet side down I wedged a pairing knife between the driver and the housing and just patiently worked my way around until the driver came free. Used this method to liberate both the 60's and the 225's. I also worked with a vise which seemed to help. Good luck taking a knife and hammer to your phones is not a natural act.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #4,161 of 5,004
My "ideal" situation or "dream" for liberating drivers would be to have a craft knife that was heated so I could precisely make the separation possible.  I'm not a big fan of hacking away at plastic so close to the actual driver itself.  Also, "other" methods of chipping away the plastic makes me a bit nervious due to the potential for plastic particles getting into the driver area, etc.  I think another method that would work would be to utilize a belt sander and slowly remove or sand of the plastic around the driver to liberate it.  Mmm ... tools ... Mmm ...

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #4,162 of 5,004
Is there a formal review of SR60 vs SR60 modded pair? Would love to here it.  
Besides more bass from the vents, what else are we looking at?

And with all these mods, does it surpass the SR80, or SR125 without mods?

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #4,164 of 5,004
Tyll is doing those headphone measurements for the ortho guys. I wonder if he'd do the same for the modded grados.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #4,165 of 5,004
If limited to one most simple modification, which one mod makes the most positive difference (besides the recabling)?  Would it be the venting?

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4,166 of 5,004

Quote:
If limited to one most simple modification, which one mod makes the most positive difference (besides the recabling)?  Would it be the venting?

Removal of the screen/button, unless you want more bass. IMO Grado''s natural bass is enough as it is so I'd go for the more open/airy soundstage.

EDIT: Recabling does not make a positive difference imho. Grado's cable is plenty decent and good. Unless you find it unwieldy and excessively long like I did.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #4,167 of 5,004

Quote:

Not the recable, that is for sure. Probably screen>holes(if you want more bass. i like it, but it can be a bit off-putting with some recordings.) >removing the driver cloth (very easy to do, so do it :D)>recable (although I have yet to put on my cable.. i might think I hear and night and day difference, but it wouldn't make much sense.

Quote:
Removal of the screen/button, unless you want more bass. IMO Grado''s natural bass is enough as it is so I'd go for the more open/airy soundstage.

EDIT: Recabling does not make a positive difference imho. Grado's cable is plenty decent and good. Unless you find it unwieldy and excessively long like I did.

+1 some say silver does make a difference, but I doubt it will ever compare to other mods as far as changes that you can do. I just wanted a shorter, pretty cable :D

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #4,168 of 5,004
Ok... they are SR-80's not 60's, and I did little to no of the DIY, I just put the pieces together... but it was this thread that has provided the inspiration so I thought I'd share it here.  Thanks!  The teaser to my impressions thread I hope to post this weekend is that it was all worth it!  I'll post a link when it goes up in case anyone is remotely interested.

SR-80, TechHeroMod (bigrock2150) GS-1000 cocobolo cups.  Pictures do no justice to Rahkim's master woodworking skills.

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #4,169 of 5,004
shipsupt,

I think Grado should stand up and take notice.  They should also be scouting around for some talent out there to take on board to make some updates on their line - consulting with these outside DIY / talented individuals would be a great place for them to start looking.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #4,170 of 5,004
OMG! Simply beautiful job!

Where can I order those cups? My 225's are in dire need of them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back