SR60-Mod
Jun 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #4,202 of 5,004
Jun 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #4,204 of 5,004

Quote:
too bad chippechanga hasnt come with a more cheap alternative for his structure.
chris when are we gonna see your modded grado?

1) He is only selling the gimbals right now in aluminum and brass at my suggestion :) They really aren't priced too bad imo. send him a PM if you'd like pair and he can price the shipping and whatnot. 

2) I should receive the cups tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm gonna have to do a bit of work on the cups and free the drivers. But, I would say the chances are good that I have everything assembled by Tuesday if I can get in to see my uncle. If not they will most definitely be done by the weekend. Till then I'm burning in these Fostex's. Shoot, I also have to get some material for the back of the driver. Still not liking all 10 holes open. It's not bad, just too much.

Quote:
Chris,

Thanks!  Lots of great information in that thread as well as some links located to other threads.  Since I'm essentially a wood person - e.g. all my tools are for wood, working with metal would be harder.  I'd have to order a pair of gimbals pre-made.  Which isn't a bad option for me.

No problem Wayne!

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #4,205 of 5,004

Quote:
there is a brand new in sealed box SR60i in the FS forums for 65$ shipped. im tempted... but honestly I want to see how the MS1 does with all this mods. is already my favorite entry grado

James,

Thanks for the info.  Oh, by the way, I do realize you change your avatar picture about every 3 days.  However, the current one (of the ladies), you should probably keep that one running a bit longer.  Thank you.    
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #4,206 of 5,004

Quote:
James,

Thanks for the info.  Oh, by the way, I do realize you change your avatar picture about every 3 days.  However, the current one (of the ladies), you should probably keep that one running a bit longer.  Thank you.    
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

haha.. I was thinking the same. I'll have to update my picture when I finish the grado's and try to sneak my new amp in there too. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #4,207 of 5,004

Quote:
1) He is only selling the gimbals right now in aluminum and brass at my suggestion :) They really aren't priced too bad imo. send him a PM if you'd like pair and he can price the shipping and whatnot. 

I knew this, and I ordered a pair of those aluminium gimbals two weeks ago 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
James,

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

3 days really? ha! did not knew that. and I'm currently on a "one avatar per day" thing, i already have booked until Thursday and i did not chose them.

wje, whats the deal with those wooden gimbals from your techhero modded grado? i think they look nice, is there no problem in stretching them open to fits the cut between it?

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #4,208 of 5,004

Quote:
wje, whats the deal with those wooden gimbals from your techhero modded grado? i think they look nice, is there no problem in stretching them open to fits the cut between it?

James,

Actually, they were a prototype set.  I don't think we'll see any more wooden ones from Techhermods for a while.  Getting the wood to work with the wooden cups can be a bit difficult.  The wooden ones (currently) don't offer as much movement as the stock plastic ones, do.  This can create a few issues when it comes to the fitting for most users.  I'm currently using the comfy pads because the thickness of the bowls, combined with the more limited movement of the wooden gimbals changed the comfort too much.  Oh, keeping the wood is very much an option.  My mind is going through several approaches for tackling this.  However, I also have the feelers out for some stock gimbals to get in place while I work on the wooden ones.  Also, I want to hear back from Marty on his offerings and see what else might be available.

As the time goes by with these Grados - and, they break in more, the sound is really, really sweet.  I'm running some Cowboy Junkies through them at the moment - great sounds are making me pleased.  Very pleased.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #4,209 of 5,004

Quote:
3 days really? ha! did not knew that. and I'm currently on a "one avatar per day" thing, i already have booked until Thursday and i did not chose them.

James,

I'm really sorry to hear that.  However, I've marked the occasion for historical purposes.  Image is below:  
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #4,210 of 5,004

Quote:
...and wje how do those burly cups compare to the modded 225's  you've been using?

Some more impressions for you.  The SR-225i "burls" are totally mopping the floor over my stock SR-325i "Goldies".  I wish this party that I have running with Cassandra Wilson could go on for a bit longer, but I need to get some rest and work in the morning.  Just 2 weeks left with the old employer - yet, lots of loose ends to put completion on that I'm committed to.  

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #4,211 of 5,004

Quote:
Some more impressions for you.  The SR-225i "burls" are totally mopping the floor over my stock SR-325i "Goldies".  I wish this party that I have running with Cassandra Wilson could go on for a bit longer, but I need to get some rest and work in the morning.  Just 2 weeks left with the old employer - yet, lots of loose ends to put completion on that I'm committed to.  

I like to hear this. I'm going to try like hell to get my wooden cups and my silver cable installed tomorrow and try to get some impressions in between, if I can and if i get the cups tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have pics and impressions tomorrow.. If not tomorrow hopefully before Wednesday :D

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #4,212 of 5,004
Grado Rocks!  I called into their N.Y. office this morning and explained my gimbal issue.  They're sending me out a pair in the mail today.  Time for the "happy dance". 
beyersmile.png

Oh, I think I'm almost 100% set on getting a pair of SR-225i to mod into the cups I'm getting from Spain.  Reviewing the Grado site again, reveals that the 225i drivers are speced the same as the 325i drivers (matched to 0.5).   I realize I could get the SR-80i and save some money, but then I'd have to drop another $20 on bowl pads.  In the end, the price gap narrows down a bit making the leap to the 225i not as brutal.  Also, the 225i features the manly sized cable, so I wouldn't have to drop more money into cable supplies for recabling the 80i.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #4,213 of 5,004
I've found Grado customer service to be great as well. I tore up a rod tip when I added my rod locks. They sent me a new pair of tips, no charge. And the person who answered my email was professional and very courteous!

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #4,215 of 5,004

Quote:
anyone knows what did this guys used to hold the  gimbals? (instead of the plastic L and R pieces)

looks very neat, here's the post

Yeah, they were some pieces off of some medical machine.. I'm pretty sure it was a device that took blood pressure. In other words, you are going to be very hard pressed to find exactly what he used. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back