SR60-Mod
May 30, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #4,096 of 5,004

Quote:
I don't know what you are talking about the Audinst is the best I can get ever :wink: (In all honesty... I probably couldn't make much of a difference.. I'd probably be hard pressed to make a big switch like 10 %. I bet 10% would cost me at least a couple grand). 

I doubt the Audinst is the best you can get. I was just saying you could feed an amp with it at some point if you wanted too. I went with the Sparrow because I didnt want that temptation. Little did I know that Bila's evil thread would be reaching into my wallet though. I think the Sparrow offers great value especially based on Cee Tee's impressions in the Sparrow thread comparing it to the Benchmark DAC. All I really know though is the Sparrow is night and day better than the uDAC I had, and I was pretty happy with the uDAC.

What did you end up with btw? It looks like you had a done deal on an Audinst and another Sparrow came into the picture.

Edit: Never mind I see you ended up with a Sparrow, good deal. Kingwa makes good stuff.

May 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #4,097 of 5,004
One of my drivers in the SR60 sounds flat. If that makes sense. The right channel sounds much fuller, more dynamic, and louder. The left one is working it just doesnt sound right. Is it possible it's just a bad connection or is it something else. Perplexed in modville
confused.gif

May 31, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #4,098 of 5,004

Quote:
I doubt the Audinst is the best you can get. I was just saying you could feed an amp with it at some point if you wanted too. I went with the Sparrow because I didnt want that temptation. Little did I know that Bila's evil thread would be reaching into my wallet though. I think the Sparrow offers great value especially based on Cee Tee's impressions in the Sparrow thread comparing it to the Benchmark DAC. All I really know though is the Sparrow is night and day better than the uDAC I had, and I was pretty happy with the uDAC.

What did you end up with btw? It looks like you had a done deal on an Audinst and another Sparrow came into the picture.

Edit: Never mind I see you ended up with a Sparrow, good deal. Kingwa makes good stuff.

Yup. A Sparrow and I swear it said on the audio-gd website that it could be used as a dedicated DAC

May 31, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #4,099 of 5,004

Quote:
One of my drivers in the SR60 sounds flat. If that makes sense. The right channel sounds much fuller, more dynamic, and louder. The left one is working it just doesnt sound right. Is it possible it's just a bad connection or is it something else. Perplexed in modville
confused.gif

Fried driver?

May 31, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #4,100 of 5,004
I KILLED ANOTHER LATHE

I was in the middle of Shell Fest 2011 when the lathe flatlined on me.  I'm not sure what happened, just what didn't.  Please light a candle and say a prayer for my lathe as its soul departs this world.

I'm sure Lathe #2 has gone to Heaven, if only because of its good deeds.  Not only did it die in the service of the greater good, it had the goodness to die on Memorial Day.  Its passing reminded me of all those men and women who have given what Lincoln called "the last full measure of devotion."

Memorial Day is also a big sale day at Harbor Freight, so Lathe #2 has paved the way for Lathe #3, a more expensive lathe.  I'm happy to report that the new lathe is smoother.  Lathe #2 would have wanted me to have Lathe #3.  R.I.P, Lathe #2.  Welcome aboard, Lathe #3.

May 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #4,101 of 5,004

Quote:
I KILLED ANOTHER LATHE

I was in the middle of Shell Fest 2011 when the lathe flatlined on me.  I'm not sure what happened, just what didn't.  Please light a candle and say a prayer for my lathe as its soul departs this world.

I'm sure Lathe #2 has gone to Heaven, if only because of its good deeds.  Not only did it die in the service of the greater good, it had the goodness to die on Memorial Day.  Its passing reminded me of all those men and women who have given what Lincoln called "the last full measure of devotion."

Memorial Day is also a big sale day at Harbor Freight, so Lathe #2 has paved the way for Lathe #3, a more expensive lathe.  I'm happy to report that the new lathe is smoother.  Lathe #2 would have wanted me to have Lathe #3.  R.I.P, Lathe #2.  Welcome aboard, Lathe #3.

oh my goodness Bill. Stop killing things. Glad to hear you got a replacement so easily though. 

May 31, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #4,103 of 5,004
I KILLED ANOTHER LATHE

At this rate, I'd be springing for the shipping on something better and waiting on it. Find a woodshop in or near the state and get something nice. Considering you're basically a business here, regardless of how small and hobby-esque, you should probably move past the once in awhile lathes of Harbor Freight.

May 31, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #4,104 of 5,004
it wasnt as hard as I thought

next to the sr (non i) series original cups

now some words

comfort:
not a comfy as the standard grado with quartermoded hd414 pads.the aluminium cups are too heavy.

sound:
speaking about soundwise only. do they worth gradosr80 + 150$ in parts? No.
do they sound better than stock sr80? Yes, they do, easilly.

these should be better, if only the bass wasnt soo boomy IMO, dont get the wrong idea, I thought the stock SR80 was too boomy. less boom and more punch is what I want.

all the plastic in the driver in pissing me off (in my mind). think im gonna go as close as a full driver liberation as I can, considering that it needs the plastic tab tohold in place inside the aluminium cup. will try to cut off the  excess of plastic from the walls in the back and change the front grill fora more open metal grill. and cover the holes back.

May 31, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #4,105 of 5,004
this one goes for wje who loves these colors
tongue_smile.gif

these hd414 cups are ano go for me, makes it more bassy and the comfort is terrible, these cups are about 300 grams each (0.7 pounds) . rod locks are mandatory.

also a note on the "fake" jumbos
ther arent so deep, my ear touches the bottom  of the cup.

and yet another note, the driver is quite recessed inside the cups:

note 6: the punch or "bass kick" is delicious
L3000.gif
this might be the big pro. stil the "booooom" is too lenghty, specially for fast speedy rog metal, i want BOM, but i get BOOOOOOM. and this comes since the headphones was stock

May 31, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #4,106 of 5,004

note 6: the punch or "bass kick" is delicious
L3000.gif
this might be the big pro. stil the "booooom" is too lenghty, specially for fast speedy rog metal, i want BOM, but i get BOOOOOOM. and this comes since the headphones was stock

speaking my exact feelings nowadays james. I'm finding them too bassy a lot of times. However, i have upgrades in the mail. Including a major source upgrade. We will see how i feel in a few weeks. If i still think they are too bassy I'm gonna have to look into different felts. One that blocks more air but not highs. Unlike the stuff I have right now.

May 31, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #4,108 of 5,004

Quote:
confused.gif

That's the same situation I experienced after doing a bit of work on SR-325i headphones.  In my case, I sent them into Grado and asked for a new cable and new drivers to be installed.  It took about 3 weeks with shipping and the charge from Grado was $45.  Granted, that's a very nice price to spend to resolve an issue with the SR-325i, but not as much so with an SR-60.

There is a chance that the solder got too hot and may have realease part of the wire going to the driver (which is under the block that you solder the wires to).

May 31, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #4,109 of 5,004

Quote:
speaking my exact feelings nowadays james. I'm finding them too bassy a lot of times. However, i have upgrades in the mail. Including a major source upgrade. We will see how i feel in a few weeks. If i still think they are too bassy I'm gonna have to look into different felts. One that blocks more air but not highs. Unlike the stuff I have right now.

Chris,

I think you might have to visit a fabric store.  They sell some pretty thin materials - almost the consistency that you'd find on the bottom of the box spring in your bedroom.  This is about the same density and thickness of the original material that was in place from Grado in the beginning.

Just be careful going into such a store - there are many old ladies with a passion for sewing that might try to hit on you by striking up a conversation on sewing.  Just buy what you need and bail out of there. 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #4,110 of 5,004

Quote:
That's the same situation I experienced after doing a bit of work on SR-325i headphones.  In my case, I sent them into Grado and asked for a new cable and new drivers to be installed.  It took about 3 weeks with shipping and the charge from Grado was $45.  Granted, that's a very nice price to spend to resolve an issue with the SR-325i, but not as much so with an SR-60.

There is a chance that the solder got too hot and may have realease part of the wire going to the driver (which is under the block that you solder the wires to).

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm surprised I didnt notice it until now but I hadnt really been listening to them. I started fooling around with them again and was going to determine which pair I thought sounded better. Something sounded off and that's what it was. Oh well I guess rather than selling a pair of headphones it will be a pair of cups and a driver. Sharkz if you still need a driver shoot me a PM.

The 225's sound so good that I'm contemplating selling the HF2's too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back