SR60-Mod
May 29, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #4,081 of 5,004

Quote:

Two holes is understated, a minimalist mod that some people like.  Four holes is the most popular configuration.  I vent all the holes.  On one project, I vented more than the ten that were there.  I started punching in holes.  There must have been 20 by the time I was done.  I'm not so sure that was the most careful approach, but I just had to do it.  It didn't improve the bass at all but I did feel like there was a significant upgrade in clarity.

Thee's the Bill I know. :D

I'm going to go try that. I'm just going to cut the plastic out, and have half of the support in there. I hope my hand doesn't slip like it did last time. 
eek.gif

May 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #4,082 of 5,004
so, I've decided the felt helps neutralize unbalanced recordings.. and holds back the ones that are done right. No felt for me. I can't punish the good music. 

-EDIT- and now i'm back to 4 holes. looks like i'm leaving the grilles off so i can keep switching the holes being covered. it's worth the aesthetic downgrade to be able to fine tune my preferences. It is almost acting as a physical EQ for me. I'll update with pictures to show all of you how i'm doing it. 

May 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #4,084 of 5,004

Quote:
looks like i can't get the sparrow.. apparently he has the BNC version of it and it doesn't have usb in.. I can't believe it.

I think i'm gonna pick up a Audinst HUD-mx1.

Well, if you havent got it yet, your not stuck trying to sell it, or finding a work around. That Audinst looks like a nice unit and it's scalable unlike the Sparrow. The Audinst has RCA outs to feed an amp if you want to down the road and the Sparrow doesnt. I sort of did that to myself on purpose though.

May 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #4,085 of 5,004

Quote:
Well, if you havent got it yet, your not stuck trying to sell it, or finding a work around. That Audinst looks like a nice unit and it's scalable unlike the Sparrow. The Audinst has RCA outs to feed an amp if you want to down the road and the Sparrow doesnt. I sort of did that to myself on purpose though.

I don't know what you are talking about the Audinst is the best I can get ever :wink: (In all honesty... I probably couldn't make much of a difference.. I'd probably be hard pressed to make a big switch like 10 %. I bet 10% would cost me at least a couple grand). 

May 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #4,087 of 5,004

Quote:
ahhh. Now I have an offer for a sparrow and an audinst. I don't know which to buy. Someone help me lol. The sparrow is the A version with usb out this time.

Uh sorry but.. isn't this slightly OT?

May 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4,089 of 5,004

Sorry to hear of your accident.  It sounds like you might need a personal injury lawyer to get involved.  After all, you don't want to work your whole life away do you?  A nice, 6-figure pay-out should allow you to work part-time for a number of years and attend to the activities you enjoy.  
biggrin.gif

I have one, one that i already knew of. He works pro bono on bicyclist accidents, especially with vehicles. He's an awesome dude, I have good insurance and I'm confident we'll find the person who ran me down. Im just glad I'm not more seriously injured. I mean, a broken tibia, a couple cracked ribs, a fractured ocular socket, a concussion and dozens of bruises and scrapes isn't exactly a walk in the park, but I'll be all good in no time with no lasting injuries.

Bill, did you get my cans busted out yesterday ?

May 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #4,090 of 5,004
to get us back on topic... I have an update on my felt experiments. and a buncha pictures. 

using some thin stiff felt as a grille. looks pretty nice I think and it has absolutely no effect on the sound

felt flat

watch this

leaving 4 holes open. tames the highs a bit. doesn't effect bass to my ears

this.. did nothing good for the sound. I just thought it looked kinda cool and took a pic.

this nifty piece will cover all the holes

tames the highs again of course.. and the bass to a smaller extent. (probably because this is very transparent felt, its a bit thick, but i can blow air right through it. 

the felt used is stiff felt from michaels it cost me a whooping dollar! and it sticks on its own accord so if i leave my grilles off i can put whatever felt I want on. I think I'll keep my grilles off and these pieces around for when a recording is a bit too shrill. as far as the bass they don't do much to my ears. 

P.S. I'm getting an a version sparrow after all!

May 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #4,091 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry to hear of your accident.  It sounds like you might need a personal injury lawyer to get involved.  After all, you don't want to work your whole life away do you?  A nice, 6-figure pay-out should allow you to work part-time for a number of years and attend to the activities you enjoy.  
biggrin.gif

I have one, one that i already knew of. He works pro bono on bicyclist accidents, especially with vehicles. He's an awesome dude, I have good insurance and I'm confident we'll find the person who ran me down. Im just glad I'm not more seriously injured. I mean, a broken tibia, a couple cracked ribs, a fractured ocular socket, a concussion and dozens of bruises and scrapes isn't exactly a walk in the park, but I'll be all good in no time with no lasting injuries.

Bill, did you get my cans busted out yesterday ?

wow.. seems like it was a pretty bad accident, but you walked away kind of lucky with what you actually received. I was actually going to buy a touring bike, but motorists scare me entirely too much. I bought a mountain bike... Now I dodge trees and almost always end up hurt, but at least they don't hit as hard as a car! 

Actually, riding on the street is probably much more safe than trails.. I just can't escape the fear of cars. Maybe one of these days... Here's to a speedy recovery Unchain.

May 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #4,092 of 5,004

Thee's the Bill I know. :D

I'm going to go try that. I'm just going to cut the plastic out, and have half of the support in there. I hope my hand doesn't slip like it did last time. 
eek.gif

If you have a drill press, set the depth stop in advance so that you won't be able to go too far with the feed.  It takes a little extra time but it's worth doing.

May 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #4,094 of 5,004

Quote:

If you have a drill press, set the depth stop in advance so that you won't be able to go too far with the feed.  It takes a little extra time but it's worth doing.

I used a set of snippers and slowly cut out pieces of plastic. It had no effect. Kinda like going from 8 to 10 holes punched, I noticed no difference.

I also pulled the dynamat off the plastic (I had a layer between the holes), and the sound is nicer. I had it overdamped.

I'm drawing up plans for a CNC machine, and I'm going to try and make some cups with it. Aluminum and wood.

May 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #4,095 of 5,004

Quote:
I used a set of snippers and slowly cut out pieces of plastic. It had no effect. Kinda like going from 8 to 10 holes punched, I noticed no difference.

I also pulled the dynamat off the plastic (I had a layer between the holes), and the sound is nicer. I had it overdamped.

I'm drawing up plans for a CNC machine, and I'm going to try and make some cups with it. Aluminum and wood.

good luck to ya bob! looking forward to see what you come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back