SR60-Mod
May 29, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #4,051 of 5,004
Your GS1000 shells look great, love the way you came from a simple circular piece to these.
beerchug.gif
Man, teaching yourself woodworking through sheer trial and error.  A small suggestion, why not leave a sort of 'lip' sticking out over the outside part of the hole in the cup so that instead of having to bend the mesh and insert it in, you could simply cut out a circular piece and glue it neatly onto the lip?

May 29, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #4,052 of 5,004
Bill those look awesome, Bill with a lathe = Big Time Trouble "in River City".....see how many folks can guess where "trouble in River City" comes from?????
Winner gets an at-a-boy!!!!

May 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #4,053 of 5,004

Your GS1000 shells look great, love the way you came from a simple circular piece to these.
beerchug.gif
Man, teaching yourself woodworking through sheer trial and error.  A small suggestion, why not leave a sort of 'lip' sticking out over the outside part of the hole in the cup so that instead of having to bend the mesh and insert it in, you could simply cut out a circular piece and glue it neatly onto the lip?

That's a great idea.  I'm going to give that a try.

May 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #4,054 of 5,004

Quote:
  A small suggestion, why not leave a sort of 'lip' sticking out over the outside part of the hole in the cup so that instead of having to bend the mesh and insert it in, you could simply cut out a circular piece and glue it neatly onto the lip? 

That's a great idea.  I'm going to give that a try.

It's pretty simple actually Bill, just make the outer hole smaller than the one you bore from the other side, that's how I had mine made for precisely that reason, I'm guessing you probably figured that out already though. Anyway the depth of that outer hole is going to effect both the asthetics and perhaps even the acoustic elements of your shell, definitely the asthetics though. I dont even have a grill in the 225's I modded right now and it sounds a little more open, so now I'm trying to come up with something new, sort of the ABT's of modding, always be tweaking.

May 29, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #4,055 of 5,004

Quote:
It's my first headphone amp.  I've owned many amps in my system that I've utilized.   I think that what is being experienced is more than just a synergy.  While the Grados @ 32 Ohms are considered easy to drive, the current provided by a headphone amp delivers the necessary "juice" that they truly crave to unlock their true potential.

I have a pair of Porta Pro's that are just fine unamped but if you plug them into one they gallup. My foray into amps has been limited to the original uDAC which is really a DAC with a wimpy amp on the headphone out, and my Sparrow is also a DAC first, but their is nothing wimpy about the amp section. That thing looks like a cool little gizmo, glad your enjoying it.

Ed, have you posted any impressions about the IEM's you've used yet?

May 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #4,056 of 5,004
Actually, the opposite is true.  It's your friend and family that are the nuts.  Headphones are very much a personal thing.  You're not investing major bucks, but your return will be mighty impressive in the end result.  Now, if you were going to drop $60K on a pair of Wilson speakers, I'd have to fly out and slap some sense into you.  
biggrin.gif
  While they may seem sexy to some people, you still need thousands in amps to drive them, plus it's ideal if you have  your dealer come out and set them up for you.

Quote:
I'm getting ready to get some silver cables and some rosewood cups.. Nothing wild to the thread but my friends and family sure as hell think I'm crazy!

May 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #4,057 of 5,004

Quote:
I've been shelling this weekend, shelling like it's 1999.  JamesMcProgger suggested I post some of the docu-photos, as a mini-tutorial on making a GS1000 "............................

Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me Bill. Very generous of you to share your methods with the rest of us, bravo!

Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me Bill. It's very generous of you to share your method with the rest of us, bravo!Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me Bill. It's very generous of you to share your method with the rest of us, bravo!

May 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #4,060 of 5,004

Quote:
Actually, the opposite is true.  It's your friend and family that are the nuts.  Headphones are very much a personal thing.  You're not investing major bucks, but your return will be mighty impressive in the end result.  Now, if you were going to drop $60K on a pair of Wilson speakers, I'd have to fly out and slap some sense into you.  
biggrin.gif
  While they may seem sexy to some people, you still need thousands in amps to drive them, plus it's ideal if you have  your dealer come out and set them up for you.

well, in that case I won't tell you the fact that headphones are more of a stepping stone or a way to get buy until I get a well established job in the medical field. I intend to have a listening room dedicated to music and a very nice vinyl rig and speakers.. in all honesty, if the money was there... I wouldn't regret spending 60k on a speaker set up, so long as they sounded as good as they should. I will spend more on audio than I probably will on real estate by the time I'm through with my life. But, think about it.. has any house, car, object really made me as happy as good audio equipment and a great album? Absolutely not. I'd buy a 60k speaker before i'd buy an extra car or pay to have a pool.

Priorities, everyone has them

May 29, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #4,061 of 5,004
Chris is a smart kid.....its all relative. I knew a million air guy a close friend and he and I used to play golf and I asked him once about that very thing and he told me that his $100,000 Mercedes is really neat and a few weeks after you first own it, it becomes the car you drive to the 7 eleven, the gym whatever and when it breaks and they all do it costs proportionately the same to fix as to buy so its all relative. I personally spend whatever I can on the hobby I'm into at the moment (I've had several), if I was eating great, super healthy, had nice digs, and that much extra cash I'd buy as much speaker as I could get...why not, I do find it more enjoyable these days being dirt poor finding like I have things like JBL 4312A Control Monitors in mint condition for $50 off CL, another score was some huge JBL floorstanders, a sub by JBL and a awesome Kenwood 5.1 receiver for $70 a few months back, I just sold the speakers from that deal for $200 and they were worth it. Everything is relative!!!! I bought valuable stuff for $70 that other folks found to be in the way and needed gone, I was happy, they were happy, life moves on......

May 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #4,062 of 5,004
Whenever we quote someone on here can we edit out the pictures that aren't important to avoid having to look through a wall of pictures twice? It makes it look neater and I will be more likely to read your response instead of skip over it. Just a thought.

May 29, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #4,064 of 5,004
I was fully intending to write a proper review of the AKG 702 vs. the Grado SR60 here, but it's really not necessary. I know the AKGs are meant to have a good 100 hour run in, and I've only given them about thirty hours, but I can't see them changing THAT much. Alors, let me put it simply: the Grado SR60s put the fun into my music, the AKG702s drag its soul out and analyse it. They're fine, they're very clear, but they're very... boring. Long live Grado, I guess. Shame about me wasting the money though (which could have bought a nice pair of 225s.) :frowning2: 

May 29, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #4,065 of 5,004

Quote:
Whenever we quote someone on here can we edit out the pictures that aren't important to avoid having to look through a wall of pictures twice? It makes it look neater and I will be more likely to read your response instead of skip over it. Just a thought.

I agree with you - and usually do it all the time.  There are some exceptions, though.  For example when James posts pictures of his pink foamy ear covers, they are worth seeing twice.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back