SR60-Mod
May 31, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #4,111 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

Chris,

I think you might have to visit a fabric store.  They sell some pretty thin materials - almost the consistency that you'd find on the bottom of the box spring in your bedroom.  This is about the same density and thickness of the original material that was in place from Grado in the beginning.

Just be careful going into such a store - there are many old ladies with a passion for sewing that might try to hit on you by striking up a conversation on sewing.  Just buy what you need and bail out of there. 
biggrin.gif

psssht. I'm gonna find myself a lady with a nice 401k plan. I'm gonna be hitting on them, not the other way around. 

May 31, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4,114 of 5,004
May 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #4,118 of 5,004

Quote:
Hello guys
I went to a local shoes repair/leather workshop yesterday and left them one grado headband and ask them to duplicate it with leather and more padding... will see later today if they came out with something nice!

good idea! there is a shoe shop somewhere around here.. somewhere. I might do the same. I was thinking about making a leather headband too. I might after I get done doing sound modifications. Sound>aesthetics. I'm thinking brass gimbals and screen with my rosewood cups and a dark leather headband for the final touch. definitely gonna be modding my fostex's before I get around to worry about making my grado's more pretty though. 

May 31, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #4,119 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it too. I have searched, but without knowing the name, I hadn't come across any retail aluminum cups.

these can also be modded a good amount too. You can remove the color (deanodize) if you would like.. and you can remove the part that extends the driver away from your ear. A user named Lawrywild did both here and had good results, I'm fairly sure.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #4,120 of 5,004
Two things I wish I knew. What an RS1 sounds like compared to the 225's I modded; and what the 60's in Blackwood compared to the 225 in Blackwood sound like. From what little I can discern from the one functioning driver they are similar. I just tried to desolder and resolder the one driver on the 60 and unfortanately my efforts were in vain, it still sounds anemic, like its being smothered by a pillow. The modded 225 sounds fantastic though. It's not as laid back as my HF2 and not as dark. It reminds me of my MS2, only a little fuller and warmer. I actually like it better than my HF2 but they compliment each other well.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #4,121 of 5,004
Hello gang, I have officially fried yet another SR-60 driver. I was experimenting with a new driver basket material removal technique and I must have had to tight of a grip on its rim.  Does anyone have a spare driver that they are willing to sell me?

Thanks in advance, Bill.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #4,122 of 5,004

Quote:
Hello gang, I have officially fried yet another SR-60 driver. I was experimenting with a new driver basket material removal technique and I must have had to tight of a grip on its rim.  Does anyone have a spare driver that they are willing to sell me?

Thanks in advance, Bill.

Damn! sorry to hear that bill. Wish I could help you out. 

-edit- you might want to consider picking up an iGrado.. I had a coupon a while back for a website.. let me see if it still works

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4,123 of 5,004
sorry about your driver Big Bill, you guys have to be more careful with those drivers (joke intented) BTW I read here that grado charges 25$ for new driver+cables replacement, maybe they could also sell them for the same price? because i doubt they take sr60 with woodies.

i bastardized my drivers with lots of love today, and im excited about the results.

i removed as much plastic as i could, sonsidering that i still need to leave the plastic ring tab to hold the driver into the aluminium cup.

the front plastic had to go too

i replaced it with a very open metal mesh

the upgrade in clarity is noticeable, i can say im happy now, and the characteristic sr80i boomy bass has reduced.

now some shots to prove its openness

I think im happy with the sound now, only left to improve confort and functionality and look. so I'm over the 60% done

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #4,125 of 5,004
Actually, I've been through the process where I attempted to buy the drivers and cable from them, which I would have done the work myself after receiving the parts.  However, Grado insisted that they don't sell parts and they are the ones that need to perform the work.  It was $45.00 for my SR-325i to get recabled as well as new drivers.  The whole process took about 3 weeks with the shipment both ways.  Grado covers the shipping back to you.

Quote:
sorry about your driver Big Bill, you guys have to be more careful with those drivers (joke intented) BTW I read here that grado charges 25$ for new driver+cables replacement, maybe they could also sell them for the same price? because i doubt they take sr60 with woodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back