SR60-Mod
Mar 24, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,446 of 5,004
I didnt believe grado used different drivers in different models. All the drivers look identical to me. But the hf2 drivers in the rs1 cups have a boomier bass than the rs1 drivers in the cups. They both seem to have the same amount of dampening material and They both(at one time) had the same hole knocked out of them. Food for thought.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2,448 of 5,004

Quote:
I finally figured out how to do this with a drill press.

Can you see why the slip-on is only half the shell?

Bill those are awesome!

This whole thread has been pretty amazing, but the last couple of pages have been truly outstanding.

I sourced some African Blackwood the other day and would have already pulled the trigger but was needing a piece to try and coniferate something exactly along the lines of what Bill our patron saint of glorious moderation is holding. I was initially thinking Ovangkol but they didnt have any so I'm going with African Mahogany. Just replied to the email, should have a new pay pal invoice tommorow and my Blackwood 225 will start coming to fruition. Of course now I need to source a 225 also. Thanks for the blueprint Bill. I was going to have the whole thing lathed but your way may be better. What kind of wood is that btw?

Progger, I love your pads. How do they sound?

I've got jumbos so I'm not looking for a comfort upgrade. I'm looking for something that bridges the gap between the bowls and the jumbos. Something that increases the soundstage, is a little less fatiguing sonically, but rocks like a Grado.

And a shout out to you Ed, nice pic. I'm not a gamer but I could see how having some ordinance like that to play with could be therapeutic
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #2,451 of 5,004
@Bill, a big thumbs up on how those alu-wood hybrids look. I personally like the all wood visual a bit more, but the hybrids have a thing of their own going there. Looking at the user replaceble shells concept I could easily go for both :)

@schwallman - you got balls. Great stuff!

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #2,452 of 5,004
Bill, I think the new shells (inners?) you have made are simply fantastic. And they look pretty professional, to boot. Great job there! I am totally wishing I had the means to get a drill press and some hole saws right now.. HAHA :) Am itching to liberate my drivers after I took apart my spoilt one.

Anyway here are my BilaGrados (I understand that's the name for them now? :) )

Stupid postal service chipped my shells ): But well they still sound awesome and I guess that's all that matters :)

Woodied, Holepunched, Quartermodded and recabled with Canare and a Neutrik.

And.. my (not so) portable rig.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #2,453 of 5,004
Incidently Bill, what kind of wood you're playing with the aluminum shells? I guess if aluminum gives that extra top energy the best compliment would be a treble de-emphazised wood for some balance. Or the opposite for team treble fundamentalists!

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #2,454 of 5,004
Bill, did I miss a response, what aluminum shell is that? Is that something you made.

Also, I have read the whole thread (and been following for many months now), but for clarity's sake, what is the difference between full and partial liberation? I am sure this is just me being a little dense but an explanation or pictures would be great to clarify in my mind.

Hopefully I am going to get my rod locks done tonight.....

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #2,458 of 5,004
The aluminum shell is from a HF2.

Quote:
Bill, did I miss a response, what aluminum shell is that? Is that something you made.

Also, I have read the whole thread (and been following for many months now), but for clarity's sake, what is the difference between full and partial liberation? I am sure this is just me being a little dense but an explanation or pictures would be great to clarify in my mind.

Hopefully I am going to get my rod locks done tonight.....

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,460 of 5,004

Quote:
The aluminum shell is from a HF2.

Thats what I thought, but was confused. I thought Bill had sold his pair.

Bill, when you finish up some cups made from your museum of wood, I would love to see a lineup of what the cups of different woods look like. I going to try to get some pictures of my finished Padauk and Purpleheart shells tonight. I love seeing what the different finished woods look like though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back