SR60-Mod
Mar 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #2,416 of 5,004

Quote:
HEY! one thing about removing the dust cloth. the area between the driver diaphragm and the front grille make for a very good hiding spot for small insects.

your cans should be swept for bugs daily or at least before use. dayyuumm, last night some small crawly insect crawled inside my aural canals when i got home and "plugged" my love [my grado]... 

lol, seriously? Do you live in the Amazon?

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2,417 of 5,004
yeah seriously... i live in the far reaches of southeast asia...
good thing the damned insect is an earwax connoisseur and didnt find the asian wax to his delight.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2,418 of 5,004
McProgger, forgive my ignorance, but exactly what have you done to those pads ? I thought the general consensus was that the lower-end Grados just didnt have enough oomph, even with the mods, for the GS1000-style monster pads ? I guess I must be missing something - apologies if its just my eyesight.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2,419 of 5,004
the oomph that youre talking about might be the lack of "venting" in the lower end gradoes. bowl pads and the jumbo ones are fitted to give the grado some soundstage or sense of space. 

what he did might be a simulation of the jumbo pads.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2,421 of 5,004

Quote:
McProgger, forgive my ignorance, but exactly what have you done to those pads ? I thought the general consensus was that the lower-end Grados just didnt have enough oomph, even with the mods, for the GS1000-style monster pads ? I guess I must be missing something - apologies if its just my eyesight.

I just snapped a pair of velour HD485 pads on top of the L-cushion pads, so the HD485 fit all around my ears and they are very soft. it was only for comfort.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524252/grado-325i-woodies-swbf2cheater-earpad-mod-56k-warning

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,422 of 5,004

Quote:

what he did might be a simulation of the jumbo pads.

thanks hi-fiber - that was my assumption too - given the relatively small number of Head-Fiers who seem to find the GS1K soundscape to their liking I am hesitant to attempt such a mod, and yet ........  it never ends. Bilavideo's BV60i will spend many hours plugged into my amp tonight, friends.  

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #2,426 of 5,004

Quote:
I removed the cloth in front of the driver, but now i wish i hadnt since i can feel no difference at all. and at least it was protected from dust, i believe.
Anyway, what does not kill the grado, make it stronger.

here's the basterd:

Also, I copied this from swbf2cheater, he did it in sr325 with giant such, i did it with the L-cushion on my sr80i. Senn HD485 pads attached to the grado ones.

more comfortable than the L-cushions, circumaural is better for me.

As far as i can hear, the bass did got stronger but not tighter.

Im gonna have 2 weeks off from work soon, so id be moding these for real soon. and chosing wood 
L3000.gif

and BTW Eva 01 says "Hi ya' all"

That's pretty much what everyone's reaction is with just removing the grill cloth, but a discernible difference is certainly made after following through with further mods (damping, woodies, dynamat). I A/B'd my cans with just the damping mod and could tell the difference in clarity so problem. It tides over the smoothness IMO, and while this may be on par with the original job of the cloth (to keep the dirt out).

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2,427 of 5,004
I love this thread!! James was here a short time ago a bit timid about modding his Grados and he i now coming up with wild ideas that will eventually yield some excellent sounds, you never know so I put some old with older quarter modded ones to see...haven't listened yet but let me ask you guys if we put it to a super secret vote I bet more than half of you guys already tried it...right!!!    I took a day off to be miserable and moan, then I got Crysis 2 and fragged a bunch of folks...all better now!!!

Don't mess with the old guy!!!!!

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #2,429 of 5,004
I love this thread!! James was here a short time ago a bit timid about modding his Grados and he i now coming up with wild ideas that will eventually yield some excellent sounds, you never know so I put some old with older quarter modded ones to see...haven't listened yet but let me ask you guys if we put it to a super secret vote I bet more than half of you guys already tried it...right!!!    I took a day off to be miserable and moan, then I got Crysis 2 and fragged a bunch of folks...all better now!!!

Don't mess with the old guy!!!!!
How is crysis? I'm getting a little tired of having my ass handed to me in FIFA lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back