SR60-Mod
Mar 22, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #2,386 of 5,004
Bill,

This is probably somewhat off topic but I've been reading through some of the cable talk in this thread and I can't help but notice how Grado says the SR80i has a 4 conductor cable on their website. The SR60i has a 4 conductor cable as well but it's not mentioned on their site but anyone can see that by looking at the driver solder points. All grados have at least a 4 conductor cable with the grounds that are terminated together at the plug since 1/8 or 1/4 plugs are unbalanced. I don't see how the SR60i and SR80i have a different cable...

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #2,387 of 5,004

Quote:
Bill,

This is probably somewhat off topic but I've been reading through some of the cable talk in this thread and I can't help but notice how Grado says the SR80i has a 4 conductor cable on their website. The SR60i has a 4 conductor cable as well but it's not mentioned on their site but anyone can see that by looking at the driver solder points. All grados have at least a 4 conductor cable with the grounds that are terminated together at the plug since 1/8 or 1/4 plugs are unbalanced. I don't see how the SR60i and SR80i have a different cable...

They don't. But, I am thinking they did before the "i". I'm not positive though it is 4:37am and I'm angry at a psychology professor :-\

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #2,388 of 5,004
Yep. Structural mechanics, I'm studying civil engineering. That was a tutorial sheet on shear flow through a cross section.

I don't use those pads anymore, that pic's from almost a year ago. I didn't have bowls at the time because I heard they were uncomfortable, turned out they were more comfortable for me when I finally got them. Now using jaben jumbos.

This dye is the one I was trying to get but couldn't find which people have used successfully.

Quote:

Is that engineering homework I spot there? Or just advanced math? I don't miss those days.

It is entirely possible to dye those pads dark as night. I used RIT liquid dye, some salt, vinegar, then gave them a nice washing with some detergent after. Just make sure you use a tiny bit of water. keep it as warm as possible, and let them soak for over an hour. After more than a month I have had no running of dye or fading at all.

I can take some pictures of mine tomorrow. Might also post a pic of my mostly finished Purpleheart cup. Not feeling now, beat physically and mentally after a hockey game.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #2,389 of 5,004
Big Bill and I have phone confab one Sunday afternoon when I could still walk and he talked me through the famous "snip" mod....for those already hating me for posting about these amps just one last dig and I'll be off to Neurologist-wish me luck, today is the day to find out if I'll walk again.

back to the amp, a buddy of mine on audiocircle buys so much stuff sometimes it never gets opened even though he has upgraded tubes for the item etc.. the MP-301 I got from him was unopened came with a bunch of nicer tubes and it only cost me $150....if I get the new version I'll probably sell this one so we shall see....on, no more amp talk from me...back to cans man!!!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #2,390 of 5,004
Good luck man! How do you like the synergy between them and the grados? I want a little dot of the MP, I just can't decide

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,391 of 5,004

Quote:
I'll be off to Neurologist-wish me luck, today is the day to find out if I'll walk again. 

Ed, best of luck. Its the important things like this that put everything else in perspective.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2,393 of 5,004
I really hope my spare driver comes soon, I am totally itching to give my Padauk shells a listen. Honestly just my SR-60s with anything a listen, its been more than 2 weeks now since I have heard them in anything besides mono.

Now I just need to finish another Purpleheart shell and get started on my Leopardwood ones now. And my biggest priority is getting my rod locks done. Hopefully that will be happening in the next few days. I think I might need another cheap pair of phones so I can stop switching parts back and forth. But then that makes me think I should upgrade to a 225. And I also want to try to make a pair of MS-1s with distancers. So many ambitions, not enough time or money.....

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,395 of 5,004
The Good news is I got sweet tunes and wonderful people here and other sites that keep me going..The Bad is I'll probably need assistance of some type walker/cane/wheelchair in order to get around for the foreseeable future! I'm 53 and in that time I've been able to do many things others would only dream about so I consider myself lucky.

>>>So I'm a moddin fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cool.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #2,396 of 5,004
Wow, now that's a glass-half-full attitude if ever I saw one.  Awesome!  This hobby has a lot to offer anyone with a working brain.  And if you ever feel like taking it up another notch or seven, look at amp building.

I'm studying electronics in my spare time and have all I need for my first build.  I just need access to a drill press for the case holes. After that I should have a (hopefully working) Millet Starving Student in my Audio-Cave.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #2,399 of 5,004

Quote:
I thought this WAS the compendium !!!!!!!!

Er, moving on ..... the addition of bowl pads to my BV60i, a decent tube amp and the smooooth sounds emanating from my MSII could well see me die and go to heaven. Failing that, I'll just buy the %&#! Ms-Pro and spend the rest of my days cursing everyone in this thread :)

I loved my MS2, the mids on them were like butter. My only complaint was they seemed to lack some bass punch. If this thread were available to me before I sold them to finance my HF2's, I would have loved to hear how they sounded with a couple, three, or 4 holes punched and the plastic ring removed.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2,400 of 5,004

Quote:
hey i'm curious.. grados are generally warm sounding right?

won't a tube amp make them too warm?

shouldn't a neutral sounding amp be better?

That's my opinion too, but most 'new' (not necessarily you guys) audiophiles want TUBES, and BIG TUBES at that. Granted, tubes are suited to headphones, just not all headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back