SR60-Mod
Mar 24, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2,476 of 5,004
CRYSIS 2 makes the 1st version look like a rudimentary video game, like I said if I were rich I buy all you guys a copy just to see the posts that would follow...LOL.
I think I just got a helicopter...check back later....

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,477 of 5,004
All the talk about crysis2 is making me want to move away from Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - play for a few hours everyday since day 1. Too scared to look at stats and realize how much time I spend NOT listening to music...

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #2,478 of 5,004

Incidently Bill, what kind of wood you're playing with the aluminum shells? I guess if aluminum gives that extra top energy the best compliment would be a treble de-emphazised wood for some balance. Or the opposite for team treble fundamentalists!

Aluminum will give you the top end so all you really need to worry about with wood is the bottom end.  Rosewoods are terrific for that.  I keep running into not-yet-hyped exotic woods that amaze and surprise me.  By the way, my next wood purchase is for ash, which has the highest velocity of sound of any wood.  I'd like to see how it stacks up against cocobolo, Brazilian rosewood, Bolivian rosewood, East Indian rosewood and mahogany.  

Bill, did I miss a response, what aluminum shell is that? Is that something you made.

Also, I have read the whole thread (and been following for many months now), but for clarity's sake, what is the difference between full and partial liberation? I am sure this is just me being a little dense but an explanation or pictures would be great to clarify in my mind.

Hopefully I am going to get my rod locks done tonight.....

I can't take credit for the shell.  While I've yet to tell the whole story on that, it's the aluminum shell from an HF2.  A friend sent it to me as a reference to work against.  I'm surprised by how close it is to the shell off of an SR325, though the inner on the HF2 blows the plastic of the SR325 six ways from Sunday.  Personally, I'm no longer seeking Grado aluminum, though I'm very happy to have been able to work with these.  I buy aluminum and am in the process of making my own all aluminum version of the PS1.  At the moment, I'm missing a screw or two.  Make your judgments if you must.

The difference between full and partial liberation is quite simple.  Imagine taking the "shell" portion off of the driver.  If you remove the plastic ring surrounded the basic plastic cage, and only that ring, you've accomplished "partial liberation."  All of the Grado woodies and hybrids are based on a partial liberation.  None of them involve actually taking the inner cage apart.  If you did that, you'd have a full liberation.

@ schwallman - I agree with Xaval. You got balls taking apart and modding a RS1. I take my hats off to you man.

Doesn't he?  I can't bet over it.  This dude rocks the Casbah.

I finally found a SR60 in the trade forum...now I am waiting. Thanks Bilavideo and Eclein for your help, the owner is ok to ship it overseas.

I think I can already start working on the cable but there is something I do not understand. I have seen that grados have a quad core cable...does it mean that the GND of each speaker goes to the jack? Is it something important? How do you wire the jack?

@Bilavideo : Forget about the new sr60i, but I am still interested by your wood shells (It seems that I have problem sending you PMs...)

Charly, I am sorry for the issues you are having.  You may reach me independently at bilavideobill@yahoo.com.  That's my private e-mail.  I'm not worried about listing it here.  I get so much spam in a given day.  It's about time I got e-mail from someone who actually had a reason to contact me.

Sure its crazy at first but the sound of the vented drivers alone was worth it. I know they are expensive headphones but get over that and make them sound better RS1s.

That's exactly it.  As Rush put it, "Those who wish to be should put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."  It's not the brand that matters, or the product occupying this or that position in the product line.  It's the doing.  Make your headphones do what they should be doing.  I sold off my PS1000s because I found myself wanting so badly to open them up and do what schwallman is doing.  I eventually left the PS1000 to embrace the SR60 and simply go where nobody wanted to go before.

Yeah I played Far Cry back in the day and a little bit of Crysis and enjoyed them a lot. I am really a Half Life guy at heart though.

All this talk of Grados (and compulsively checking this thread) is driving me nuts. Still no drivers today, I am really hoping they arrive by the weekend although I am not sure when/if they were sent out by Bill. Hopefully I can be back in the game soon.

Sharkz, I'm sorry for the delay.  I'm still limping out of a hole and work has been absolutely nuts lately.  You should have your drivers by Monday.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2,479 of 5,004
BILL DOESN'T LOVE ME ANYMORE

If you send me an e-mail and you don't hear back from me, it's not because I've lost that loving feeling.  I promise you it's not.  It's because I'm either not managing the PM system properly or its architecture is not ideal for managing my pen-pal traffic.  More than once, I've lost track of someone only to get a PM from someone who thought I had alzheimers or had fled the state (not that fleeing Florida doesn't have its charms).

Slap me, please, and slap me hard.  If you feel like the conversation is getting one-sided, slap me awake.  I have to upgrade my organizational management because I'm putting a strain on some of my most cherished relationships and I don't mean to be like that at all.  I'm working on a solution to this problem but until I get it all sorted out, don't be afraid to reach out and slap someone - preferably me.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2,480 of 5,004
slap! slap! 
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink_face.gif
........................................... slap...................................... slap

Quote:
BILL DOESN'T LOVE ME ANYMORE

If you send me an e-mail and you don't hear back from me, it's not because I've lost that loving feeling.  I promise you it's not.  It's because I'm either not managing the PM system properly or its architecture is not ideal for managing my pen-pal traffic.  More than once, I've lost track of someone only to get a PM from someone who thought I had alzheimers or had fled the state (not that fleeing Florida doesn't have its charms).

Slap me, please, and slap me hard.  If you feel like the conversation is getting one-sided, slap me awake.  I have to upgrade my organizational management because I'm putting a strain on some of my most cherished relationships and I don't mean to be like that at all.  I'm working on a solution to this problem but until I get it all sorted out, don't be afraid to reach out and slap someone - preferably me.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #2,485 of 5,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sharkz, I'm sorry for the delay.  I'm still limping out of a hole and work has been absolutely nuts lately.  You should have your drivers by Monday.

Thanks buddy, I can't wait. Got some nice Leopardwood cups cut tonight, give me time to finish them this weekend. Also got some rod locks milled. Things are coming together.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,487 of 5,004
Hello gang, I received a pair of SR 325's in the mail today that I purchased second hand on another forum. I bought these to do a A/B comparison with my modded SR 60's. I'm pleased to report that the modded SR 60's are the clear winner between the two! I do however like what the aluminum seems to do with the high frequency's of the SR 325's though. I'm thinking of giving these aluminum shells a try with the wooden inners Bilavideo is sending me once they arrive. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Bill.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #2,488 of 5,004

Quote:

Aluminum will give you the top end so all you really need to worry about with wood is the bottom end.  Rosewoods are terrific for that.  I keep running into not-yet-hyped exotic woods that amaze and surprise me.  By the way, my next wood purchase is for ash, which has the highest velocity of sound of any wood.  I'd like to see how it stacks up against cocobolo, Brazilian rosewood, Bolivian rosewood, East Indian rosewood and mahogany.  

I can't take credit for the shell.  While I've yet to tell the whole story on that, it's the aluminum shell from an HF2.  A friend sent it to me as a reference to work against.  I'm surprised by how close it is to the shell off of an SR325, though the inner on the HF2 blows the plastic of the SR325 six ways from Sunday.  Personally, I'm no longer seeking Grado aluminum, though I'm very happy to have been able to work with these.  I buy aluminum and am in the process of making my own all aluminum version of the PS1.  At the moment, I'm missing a screw or two.  Make your judgments if you must.

Does this mean that you prefer the Aluminium or wood shells? My buddy still hasn't gotten back to me about making my aluminium shells :frowning2:. I think I'll call him this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back