SR60-Mod
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #2,461 of 5,004

Ok, your going to take a razor and jam it between the wood and plastic driver. Go around the whole plastic circle. Some places will be tougher than others to get the razor deep enough. You will need a stronger blade as I broke a few off. Just keep going around the circle and eventually if will just come out. Dont get discouraged at what the wood looks like when your doing it. Just keep thinking that you are going to be able to sand the wood and restain if you want. It really just takes time and patience.
Quote:
Schwallman,

can you briefly describe how you took apart the RS1 shells? I think my RS1i's are starting to shake in terror....

Cheers,
Al

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #2,462 of 5,004
I finally found a SR60 in the trade forum...now I am waiting. Thanks Bilavideo and Eclein for your help, the owner is ok to ship it overseas.

I think I can already start working on the cable but there is something I do not understand. I have seen that grados have a quad core cable...does it mean that the GND of each speaker goes to the jack? Is it something important? How do you wire the jack?

@Bilavideo : Forget about the new sr60i, but I am still interested by your wood shells (It seems that I have problem sending you PMs...)

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #2,463 of 5,004

Quote:
Ok, your going to take a razor and jam it between the wood and plastic driver. Go around the whole plastic circle. Some places will be tougher than others to get the razor deep enough. You will need a stronger blade as I broke a few off. Just keep going around the circle and eventually if will just come out. Dont get discouraged at what the wood looks like when your doing it. Just keep thinking that you are going to be able to sand the wood and restain if you want. It really just takes time and patience.

Thanks for the instructions...  Now do I have the guts :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2,464 of 5,004

Quote:

I think I can already start working on the cable but there is something I do not understand. I have seen that grados have a quad core cable...does it mean that the GND of each speaker goes to the jack? Is it something important? How do you wire the jack?

Using 4 wires means that each channel has a ground and signal. The two ground wires are twisted together and soldered to the body of the plug. People like this better because it keeps everything isolated between the channels.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2,465 of 5,004

Quote:
I didnt believe grado used different drivers in different models. All the drivers look identical to me. But the hf2 drivers in the rs1 cups have a boomier bass than the rs1 drivers in the cups. They both seem to have the same amount of dampening material and They both(at one time) had the same hole knocked out of them. Food for thought.

Correction. You've got a pair of them :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,466 of 5,004

Quote:

Ok thanks,

My plan is to make a detachable cable on one side only, I would like to put a jack socket in the left cup and make a cable that go through the headband to the left cup. For the main cable that I will plug from my source to the left cup, I could use 4 poles jack and socket to keep the ground separated but do you think it is worth it?

I have seen that some sr60s have been modded like that but I do not know if they kept the ground separated...

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,467 of 5,004
Considering that just about all recables I have seen here have been done with Quad or Mini Quad (Mogami, Canare, or some variation), I would say they all use seperated grounds.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #2,468 of 5,004
The sounds of these mods just get better with age.

Seriously, the fun listening to modded Grado's in unparred I believe.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #2,471 of 5,004
Mar 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #2,472 of 5,004

I see now. Just remember they are only headphones. Your great grand children probably wont be taking these to the pawn stars guys. As "collectible" as they are, they wont ever get you anything you can retire on.
Quote:
of balls. 1 for the RS1 and another for the HF2. Takes some big hairy stuff to take both apart! :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,473 of 5,004
I was away for like 1/2 a day and BOOM--45 posts or so I missed..LOL...

1) ***CRYSIS 2 is THE BEST videogame I have seen or played ever in my 53 years...I originated with Super Mario, Pilotwings and DOOM showed up and the Half-Life and then it got harder and harder for me to shoot bad guys, I suck at aiming, never could get the knack, with CRYSIS 2 on the easiest setting and sensitivity low I can aim and shot and kill guys!!!! I played until 4am last night and will start here soon...its flatout balls to the walls fun...the look of the game, the detail and environment are incredible, if I was wealthy I'd buy every gamer here a copy..seriously!!!                2) I played CRYSIS 2 and watched "Skyline" last night with my BilaGradoeclein 4.0's on and enjoyed every moment, was never uncomfortable (bowl pads) and felt like I was in the game and in the movie!!!  LOL...this stuff is fun...  
3) Bilavideo with a drill press!! No we are talking new level on top of the already 12 new levels he's taken us into, I don't even think f other headphones in fact if anyone wants a pair of Alienware Branded Ultrasone Hfi 700's I got some and will gladly give any of you a deal on them. Bill keep on drilling my friend!!! I'm sure we will all get better sound because of it...the wood inside the metal got me so excited I had to smoke a cigarette after....LOL...
ED

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2,474 of 5,004

at work we are looking into moving into building 3d databases with the crytek engine(crysis engine). Its funny the managers go to trade shows and see these bad ass military training scenarios from these company's and think we can just knock stuff out like that in a short time frame. Of course they don't get that the guys had months if not years for the demo they are showing. We have a few weeks to complete certain databases.

But yes crysis is a pretty cool game and awesome visuals. I haven't played the new one yet. Maybe i can get my company to buy it for me for "research"

Quote:
I was away for like 1/2 a day and BOOM--45 posts or so I missed..LOL...

1) ***CRYSIS 2 is THE BEST videogame I have seen or played ever in my 53 years...I originated with Super Mario, Pilotwings and DOOM showed up and the Half-Life and then it got harder and harder for me to shoot bad guys, I suck at aiming, never could get the knack, with CRYSIS 2 on the easiest setting and sensitivity low I can aim and shot and kill guys!!!! I played until 4am last night and will start here soon...its flatout balls to the walls fun...the look of the game, the detail and environment are incredible, if I was wealthy I'd buy every gamer here a copy..seriously!!!                2) I played CRYSIS 2 and watched "Skyline" last night with my BilaGradoeclein 4.0's on and enjoyed every moment, was never uncomfortable (bowl pads) and felt like I was in the game and in the movie!!!  LOL...this stuff is fun...  
3) Bilavideo with a drill press!! No we are talking new level on top of the already 12 new levels he's taken us into, I don't even think f other headphones in fact if anyone wants a pair of Alienware Branded Ultrasone Hfi 700's I got some and will gladly give any of you a deal on them. Bill keep on drilling my friend!!! I'm sure we will all get better sound because of it...the wood inside the metal got me so excited I had to smoke a cigarette after....LOL...
ED

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #2,475 of 5,004
Yeah I played Far Cry back in the day and a little bit of Crysis and enjoyed them a lot. I am really a Half Life guy at heart though.

All this talk of Grados (and compulsively checking this thread) is driving me nuts. Still no drivers today, I am really hoping they arrive by the weekend although I am not sure when/if they were sent out by Bill. Hopefully I can be back in the game soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back