SR60-Mod
Feb 25, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #1,711 of 5,004
seriously?

you might have pushed a bit of felt deep inside and obstructs the coil's movement.

OR

you punctured the mylar diaphragm. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #1,713 of 5,004
If you got it on both sides, you probably damaged something... Perhaps it is just a hair or piece of felt that is vibrating. You can try to gently blow/suck it out.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #1,714 of 5,004

Originally Posted by kitesrfun1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

after i vented the drivers on my sr-80s i got a ratlle/blasted speaker sound. anyone got any ideas as to what i should do?

It's actually pretty hard to puncture the drivers.  They're flimsy but durable.  They'll wrinkle if you look at them wrong but they don't puncture quite so easily.  If you've got buzzing, it's either:

1. hair, dust or a piece of felt on or in your driver - which will come free when you blow and shake it out;
2. part of the diaphragm coming off the basket (very rare, only after a lot of abuse), which can be pressed back down;
3. new rattling or buzzing caused by newfound bass. The cure here is to damp the magnet plate with something like Dynamat.  It will fix the buzzing.  This is actually the most common post-venting situation.  Now you have enough bass to realize your air chambers are like somebody's trunk as he drives past blaring his stereo and showing off his bass.  Damping will fix the situation.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #1,716 of 5,004
thanks for the advice i will try these out as soon as i can. 

Quote:
 Originally Posted by kitesrfun1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's actually pretty hard to puncture the drivers.  They're flimsy but durable.  They'll wrinkle if you look at them wrong but they don't puncture quite so easily.  If you've got buzzing, it's either:

1. hair, dust or a piece of felt on or in your driver - which will come free when you blow and shake it out;
2. part of the diaphragm coming off the basket (very rare, only after a lot of abuse), which can be pressed back down;
3. new rattling or buzzing caused by newfound bass. The cure here is to damp the magnet plate with something like Dynamat.  It will fix the buzzing.  This is actually the most common post-venting situation.  Now you have enough bass to realize your air chambers are like somebody's trunk as he drives past blaring his stereo and showing off his bass.  Damping will fix the situation.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #1,717 of 5,004
I would strongly recommend you put some Dynamat on the back of the driver magnet. Depending on how many holes you punched out, you will get some crazy out of control bass. I punched all 10 holes on my SR-80 and while at first I thought I didn't need it, some songs proved me wrong. Bass was out of control. Using Dynamat Extreme on the back of the driver put everything back in its place. The bass is still there but it's tight and controlled (i.e... it'a awesome :))

Quote:
thanks for the advice i will try these out as soon as i can. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #1,718 of 5,004
Not to be too much of a mooch, but does anyone have any extra Dynamat? I don't feel like buying a whole sheet to use less than 2 square inches and I feel like it will do a better job than my Fun Tak dampening. I still have some buzzing on one side when listening to heavier music (Metallica S&M) that I am hoping this will remedy.. I'd appreciate it if someone was willing to send a bit.

I do really like the flat style pads too. After some listening yesterday, definately the best compromise of pads. Not too uncomfortable, but with good sound. And also cheap (~$7 a pair shipped after ordering 2 pairs) and easy to mod. Highly recomended.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,720 of 5,004

Not to be too much of a mooch, but does anyone have any extra Dynamat? I don't feel like buying a whole sheet to use less than 2 square inches and I feel like it will do a better job than my Fun Tak dampening. I still have some buzzing on one side when listening to heavier music (Metallica S&M) that I am hoping this will remedy.. I'd appreciate it if someone was willing to send a bit.

I do really like the flat style pads too. After some listening yesterday, definately the best compromise of pads. Not too uncomfortable, but with good sound. And also cheap (~$7 a pair shipped after ordering 2 pairs) and easy to mod. Highly recomended.

Give me an address.  I have some I'll give you.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #1,721 of 5,004

where can i find dynamat? is it the stuff for your car?

oh and the buzzing rattling is only coming from one cup. should i still use dynamat?

It's the stuff for your car.  It's really a rubbery goo, but a heavy one.  The idea is that this stuff adds weight and absorbs the shock.  It helps prevent rattling and buzzing.  Believe it or not, once you fully vent your drivers, the bass potential is so impactful that post-tweak buzzing is more or less common.  Once you slap on the Dynamat, you'll notice an immediate improvement, not just with the buzzing issue but with the overall presentation.  When I mod, I routinely slap on Dynamat.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #1,722 of 5,004
hey bill if it wasn't too much trouble could you send send me some as well? If it's too much of a hassle don't worry about it

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #1,723 of 5,004

hey bill if it wasn't too much trouble could you send send me some as well? If it's too much of a hassle don't worry about it

The offer is open to anybody who needs it.  I'm not giving out whole sheets, but if somebody needs a little Dynamat to cover a driver, I'm your dealer (wocka wocka).

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #1,724 of 5,004
GET YOUR PANTIES INTO A TWIST

I stumbled upon a new idea for woodifying plastic Grados, particularly for those who want to minimize the influence of plastic without resorting to a full or partial driver liberation.

SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE!

I cut a wooden shell that actually goes INTO the plastic inner (Call it the Skinny or the Song Thong).  I've ineptly SHOVED IT into an aluminum ring, thereby depriving you of a cool picture of this wooden Skinny getting inserted into the plastic inner.

I probably should have shot this differently, but as this vacant ring depicts, I've got wood.  I've also got metal.  And they're having their way with the plastic.  It's bass akwards but it works.

Anyway, I have no idea how this sounds - and I'm late to take my wife to a movie - but it seems like a lot of potential mileage for a minimal investment.  I'll check it out tonight when I come home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back