SR60-Mod
Feb 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,741 of 5,004
I'll save everybody pain and anxiety--if you get Neuropothy in legs or arms, numbness burning pain go here:
http://www.mossrehab.com/
they saved my life in Allentown at Sacred Heart Hospital
I was trying to treat something with very little medication that even with alot is barely treatable but bearable...I can now walk again with a walker, cane, zoom around in a wheelchair but not bound to one yet...not this year...but Moss is the place to go. I have Peripheral Nueropothy because of a weird blood cancer I have they found 12-13 years ago and I had numbness and burning pain in feet and legs, hands also becoming numb and burning. I fell 6 times trying to go to the bathroom when my roomate took me to the ER. I played drums since I was 10 I'm 53 today and I couldn't tell where my foot was, whether it was face down up, behind me or twisted like a pretzel. I've burned it without knowing, etc... its the reason people do crazy things...I totally understand why people in great pain suicide as I would easil have gotten my legs removed to relieve the pain..its nuts. A few weeks back I finally got it full bore and could no longer judge distance, footing and ended up in Moss to relearn walking, and pain management. I'll never play again but I will walk from time to time without aid and have three times while in Hospital but its to risky to drive, or walk out in the world so I'm doing my thing and listening to music and futzing with these cans. The hospital folks thought my modded 125's were the best headphones they ha ever heard. Everybody who heard them and doctors, nurses, aids all listened....these mods work folks and work well. I tested it with a pair of 125's for several weeks while in patient and they sound excellent!! Thanks Bill!!!! for doing this for the rest of us!!!

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,742 of 5,004
Eclein glad your feeling better, getting around as best you can, and turning the staff at Moss Rehab into Grado heads. Sounds like your spirits are pretty good despite your burden. One day at a time man. If you ever just need an ear my PM box is open.

I just got the new Gregg Allman CD today, Low Country Blues. The first song, Floating Bridge sort of recounts your ordeal. Maybe not but it's great blues from one of the masters.

Welcome back!

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #1,743 of 5,004
Dudes and dudettes let the modding continue....YES... don't let my post bum you out I'm good.....Please show me pics of your mods so I can get ideas...That Lion blows me away...I want some sort of nice metal top mesh but need to see Bills shell for color matching. I like the mod I did to the 125's and want to mod into a wood shell the same chamber like thing...

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,746 of 5,004
ANOTHER TAKE ON THE SKINNY BRIDGE

Only on HeadFi could a person announce he "got wood" and not get carted off by the cops.  But I did today - receiving a box of African paduak, tigerwood, purple heart, cherry, etc. - from a place in Arizona.  I had made several sets of small cups from the Paduak before deciding to come back to the subject of the "skinny bridge."  I really think this may be a big deal, as people catch on to its uses, because it allows you to keep the plastic inner but bypass it with a wood bridge extending into the inner cup and essentially making the plastic largely irrelevant.

I've found that the wood lays down better if you notch it to get the cable out of the way.

I was working on this project when I rediscovered some Brazilian rosewood I'd started to work with (before rediscovering the problems with my table saw).  I'd always wanted to give this wood a try but had to table it.  Now, with this project on the front burner, I decided to go for it.  I made a bridge using Brazilian rosewood.  The idea is that you can slide anything over this bridge and not only get the benefit of building the bigger shell but also isolate and wall off the plastic nobody wants to get rid of (for fear of killing their driver).

It was while using the BR to make a bridge that I got a chance to hear this wood for myself.  To my surprise, it was everything you hear about.  I'd had another piece of BR before that I'd made some cups from, but that project had never quite turned out like this.  The bass response is incredible.  It's a tribute to cocobolo that it sounds almost this good, given the differences in price and availability.  I still think cocobolo is prettier, nor is it quite as oily as BR.  Both woods leave a clay-like residue all over my saw blades, a residue that has to be diligently removed in order to prevent overheating, sticking and less precise cutting - but BR actually leaves a pool of oil.  I've never seen that before.  I was cutting my second shell with it and found this drippy, oily pool beneath the wood.  I thought was water, and wondered how it had gotten there, till I touched it and the viscosity gave it away.  Wow!

You can put anything over the bridge, including the original shells (if you like 'em that much).  I can see an SR325 owner putting the bridge into his/her cans, to create a kind of HF2 experience.  It doesn't have to be an expensive, rare or exotic tonewood.  Even a ring cut from ordinary plywood would be a worthy alternative to ordinary plastic.

As it is, though, the BR is incredible.  I can see why this wood is so sought after.  The bass response is tremendous.  The only negative I see, in terms of the sound, is that it produces bass so well that you won't want to pair it with flats or comfies.  Those pads are designed to trap bass, but when a small shell is producing this much bass, there's no need for pads that do that.  The sound, with comfies, is a bit warm, more so than I'd like, especially after discovering the sonic benefits of aluminum.  It's weird to use the words "Grado" and "too much bass" in the same sentence, but I found a tentative solution in doubling comfies.  The resulting bass was ample while the sizzle can back with a roar.  I also found the soundstage to open up considerably.

I've long since parted with my jumbos, but I'd bet even money that BR shells would work just fine in providing enough bass to handle jumbo sibilance.  In my next project, I'll be looking to pair BR with aluminum.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,747 of 5,004
Thanks to all...

Once again eclein good to see you back on the board.

Bill that is ingenious!

I am getting some hours on my all woodies and my new alum wood combination (lions) versus my rs1i and will post shortly.

Cheers,
Al

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,748 of 5,004
Dude, you're off the hook

Have you tried those skinny inners with some cocobolo's yet?

I got the cocobolos and some jumbo's on my ears right now btw. Listening to the new Adele CD for the second time. The first listen was with the HF2's. The synergy of the wood, the silver, and the jumbo's really is amazing and this CD is fantastic.

Congrats on getting wood btw. I was looking at this stuff the other day, apparently Steinway uses it to make piano's.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #1,749 of 5,004
I've placed an order for the metal mod. I'm planning on removing the pink anodizing then polishing them by hand or sending them to be anodized in black or something less vulgar.

No brainer for me because you get a set of Grado jumbo's with them, and those alone cost over £50 in the UK!! (ridiculous)

Quote:

These have been on the Jaben site for some time.  Has anyone tried it yet?  They are about $99 for the aluminum and less for the wood.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #1,750 of 5,004
Well considering my friend has can'napped my newly mod'd 225's. I am tempted to let him have them and take his 80's and try a few things with them. Thinking going down the alu road? Any suggestions on where I can get hold of some pretty alu or hybrid cups?......hint hint Bill :wink:

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #1,751 of 5,004

You order them off the Jaden site ? I've not been on there as yet.
Quote:
I've placed an order for the metal mod. I'm planning on removing the pink anodizing then polishing them by hand or sending them to be anodized in black or something less vulgar.

No brainer for me because you get a set of Grado jumbo's with them, and those alone cost over £50 in the UK!! (ridiculous)

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #1,752 of 5,004

Quote:

Agree about the colour, not overly fetching is it! Would they have to be sent off to be done or is it something that can be done 'in house'?

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #1,753 of 5,004
I've been googling around for anodizing at home stuff. It is possible but you need some strong acids and stuff, by the litre too. It seems that removing the anodizing shouldn't be too hard though. I've read that you can spray it with drain cleaner and leave for an hour and it starts dropping off.

yeah off Jaben site, they weren't listed on there when I checked a few weeks ago but they're there now. $99 inc the Jumbo's. I paid $32 for fedex economy shipping though :frowning2: I left a comment asking to write low value on the customs certificate so hopefully they do that.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #1,755 of 5,004
Ah makes sense. I still think the $99 is worth it for the aluminium alone regardless of the jumbos.

Quote:
The "Jumbos" Jaben sells are not the same as the ones from Grado...

Here's another thread about them  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521560/jaben-grado-woody-alumod-bundle-anyone-go-for-it

The gimbal rod collars I have will be real useful for holding these in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back