SR60-Mod
Feb 28, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #1,771 of 5,004
OK...so in prepration for the wooden shells arrival today and to find out for sure what it sounds like I took the SR125's apart and opened up the rest of the holes to my immediate delight so Ten it is nd ten it will be, the number shall be ten and ten shall be the number...LOL.
They sound great, so the little chamber I made along with Bills other mods make these really special. The dynamatt controls everything and subtle changes in the sound are bigger than you would think as they alter/better the sound in just the right areas.
'
So the other cans my SR60's that I originally bought off a gentleman here at head-fi will get all ten holes and wood shells along with EVS ground enhancers, and new cabling done by Alex Sventitsky who owns a new cable company called Wywires. This guy used my system as a testing setup and I have his Interconnnnects, Speaker wire, and Power cord in daily use and they all brought improved sound in there own way. He has become a friend and will do his thing, he is researching it now after his morning coffee and Bran....and he'll nail these babies. So thats the plan guys...wish me luck.......LOL

Ed
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,772 of 5,004
Wow, 10 holes? Seriously? I don't know but before the cocobolo shells, I lived with 4 and they sounded just about right. However, even 4 on the cocobolos were too much. I'm down to two and they sound right again :) Well, sound is a very subjective thing and 10 could work for you nicely just as 2 did for me. Looking forward to your impressions soon.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #1,773 of 5,004
OK...thanks for that info..I'll be doing a friends SR60's from another forum soon and your info will be super helpful so I don't go overboard. You just cover them up with Dynamat to restore back correct??
 Ed

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #1,774 of 5,004
Supposedly it's actually more red than pink in person than the pics show. I'll see when they arrive here. Atm I'm thinking remove the anodizing, and create my own brushed aluminium finish with a scouring pad. Don't like the new chromed PS1000 so don't want shiney.

I'm considering ordering a new pair of cans to put in these. SR80i or MS1i? Not sure.

I'm going to line the inside of the distancer as per MS1000i mod with felt. Would lining the whole of the inside of the rear chamber with felt be beneficial also? or should I leave it as raw aluminium.

Quote:

I think it's supposed to be red...Hmmmm

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #1,775 of 5,004
I'm going to line the inside of the distancer as per MS1000i mod with felt. Would lining the whole of the inside of the rear chamber with felt be beneficial also? or should I leave it as raw aluminium.

It seems obvious that it would have some impact but to what level I am unsure? Also interested to know answer to this.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #1,776 of 5,004
Found another pic of what they look like fitted. (with normal bowls)

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #1,778 of 5,004

Quote:
OK...thanks for that info..I'll be doing a friends SR60's from another forum soon and your info will be super helpful so I don't go overboard. You just cover them up with Dynamat to restore back correct??
 Ed

Sure Ed. You can always go back in and cover them up again if you punched one too many. Dynamat or Blu-Tack is fine. Works for me. Best if you start with maybe 4 holes since that seems to work for most. Or even less and slowly work your way up if you want more bass. All the best.

@ lawrywild - the Jaben alumod seems to be doing quite well where I'm at. Our local Jaben even installs them for free if you drop by their shop with your cans. I've listened to their demo set (a modded SR80i) and it's quite impressive to be honest. Having said that, I definitely won't stack it against a PS1000. It does however walk over my SR325is (which were stock at that time) but I'd be more interested to compare it to a Magnum mod 325, which I feel is a fairer comparison seeing how both are full aluminium. Except that I don't know anybody with one. Still, call me old fashioned but I'm a woody kinda guy. The thing is, I just love the organic sound of wood, which is why I am enjoying every single minute of the cocobolo shells and not thinking about anything else.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #1,779 of 5,004

Quote:
OK...so in prepration for the wooden shells arrival today and to find out for sure what it sounds like I took the SR125's apart and opened up the rest of the holes to my immediate delight so Ten it is nd ten it will be, the number shall be ten and ten shall be the number...LOL.

Quote:
Wow, 10 holes? Seriously? I don't know but before the cocobolo shells, I lived with 4 and they sounded just about right. However, even 4 on the cocobolos were too much. I'm down to two and they sound right again :) Well, sound is a very subjective thing and 10 could work for you nicely just as 2 did for me. Looking forward to your impressions soon.

Yeah, I started out with six and dialed it back to 4. There was sort of a bloopiness with 6 in the wooden cups.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #1,780 of 5,004
Does someone have a link they can post where I can buy those RED aluminum ones...I'm a dolt when it comes to figuring out some of the websites out there, just want to know how much with shipping to Pennsylvania, they look awesome. Exactly  what I'd love to have but in black but RED works.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #1,781 of 5,004
Heh, you and I, we're the same. Like you, I went ahead and punch 6 on my first attempt and man did that made it really fat sounding (and not in a good way). I found the low end way too sloppy  with the aluminium shells of my 325is. There was nothing that I could play that would sound ok, let alone good. Immediately, they went back into the operating theater and came back out with just 4 holes. And that was just about right to be honest.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #1,782 of 5,004
Duh I forgot to post why i was posting...the holes will be a dial them in kinda thing I think...so I'll start all in, as in ten because I did it already and then dial them back if need be. I'll bounce all this info off the friend who's cans I'm going to mod so he can make the call. The Grado's he is sending are not his only pair of headphones and if they get ruined which they won't he is OK with it. I'm not going to liberate the driver on his as I've never done that on mine yet. Big Bill bricked a pair recently and he's careful like I am so I'm not trying it until we come up with some perfect method.

Aluminum will sound bright? dead? what?? The felt or foam I have in place of the screen on my 125's makes a nice small chamber like with some open area through the foam..they sound very nice, they have bass thats tight and solid like closed cans but they still sound open and awesome like Grado's should and do...........
I'm leaning toward making another chamber with the wood shells....the cap is all thats missing...

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #1,783 of 5,004

Quote:
Does someone have a link they can post where I can buy those RED aluminum ones...I'm a dolt when it comes to figuring out some of the websites out there, just want to know how much with shipping to Pennsylvania, they look awesome. Exactly  what I'd love to have but in black but RED works.

Try visiting Jaben's site. They have one in Singapore as well - www.jaben.net. Although I'd recommend you write directly to this guy Yu Heng - yuheng@jaben.com.my. You can try working out shipping with him. 

Also, Jaben has a install site for the alumod:
http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=15062.0

Hope this helps.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #1,784 of 5,004
http://jaben.net/shopping2/product.php?productid=63&cat=6&page=1

Quote:

@etteoh

Well I don't expect them to be PS1000 beaters! Good to hear you think they trounce a 325is though. Did you listen to them with jumbos or bowls? How was the weight of them and what did you think of the colour? Mine have been shipped now, here end of the week hopefully.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,785 of 5,004
Those aren't mine :wink:

I just found that pic from an impressions thread from a new york meet last november. They're owned by bozebutton with SR80i drivers. I am considering just keeping them red though, looks quite cool in that pic. I think I'll use SR80i aswell and recable with mogami 2893 as I did my MS1i's. Open up 4 holes, maybe 6.

Quote:
Not so pink after all! Lovely job bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back