SR60-Mod
Feb 27, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #1,756 of 5,004

Dude, you're off the hook

Have you tried those skinny inners with some cocobolo's yet?

I got the cocobolos and some jumbo's on my ears right now btw. Listening to the new Adele CD for the second time. The first listen was with the HF2's. The synergy of the wood, the silver, and the jumbo's really is amazing and this CD is fantastic.

Congrats on getting wood btw. I was looking at this stuff the other day, apparently Steinway uses it to make piano's.

1. I haven't tried cocobolos yet but I'm going to today.

2. I initially misread your comment and had to laugh.  Before I clicked the link (which brought in some really cool wood), I thought you were being funny.  This is what I thought I'd read:

"Congrats on getting wood btw.  I was looking at the stuff the other day.  Apparently Steinway uses it to make pianos."

It was the best laugh I've had in a long time.

Bill

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #1,757 of 5,004

Quote:
I've been googling around for anodizing at home stuff. It is possible but you need some strong acids and stuff, by the litre too. It seems that removing the anodizing shouldn't be too hard though. I've read that you can spray it with drain cleaner and leave for an hour and it starts dropping off.

Spray oven cleaner is safer and not as likely to pit or scar the aluminum.  I've used it on Mil. type III anodize without a problem. 

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #1,758 of 5,004
Those Jaben aluminum cups look sweet, especially with the way they screw together once you insert the drivers . . . nice touch.

I even like the color . .. "Girlie-Girl Grado Pink"  
tongue.gif

Unfortunately they say nothing on their site or Jaben forum about the effect on the sound, but they do show the assembly.

I follow Head-Fi thread updates using the RSS feed, but for some odd reason this thread never appears there, only on my subscription page here.

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,759 of 5,004

Quote:
I've been googling around for anodizing at home stuff. It is possible but you need some strong acids and stuff, by the litre too. It seems that removing the anodizing shouldn't be too hard though. I've read that you can spray it with drain cleaner and leave for an hour and it starts dropping off.

yeah off Jaben site, they weren't listed on there when I checked a few weeks ago but they're there now. $99 inc the Jumbo's. I paid $32 for fedex economy shipping though :frowning2: I left a comment asking to write low value on the customs certificate so hopefully they do that.

The shipping is usually the killer. Hopefully you won't get stung. I bought my RS-1s from the States and the guy forgot to mention that they were used and he also put them at a high value, needless to say I got smashed by customs! I am going to see what Billa's alu's look like and take it from there. I would love a set of real fancy things with a mix off alu & wood but I think I would be looking at serious coin? You going to post us some pics of your project then?

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,760 of 5,004

Quote:
 I initially misread your comment and had to laugh.  Before I clicked the link (which brought in some really cool wood), I thought you were being funny.  This is what I thought I'd read:

"Congrats on getting wood btw.  I was looking at the stuff the other day.  Apparently Steinway uses it to make pianos."

It was the best laugh I've had in a long time.

Bill

It seems I may have inadvertenly constructed a triple entendre for your reading pleasure, outstanding. You have piqued my interest with these "skinny inners" though. Anxiously awaiting your impressions paired with the cocobolo's.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,761 of 5,004

Quote:
Spray oven cleaner is safer and not as likely to pit or scar the aluminum.  I've used it on Mil. type III anodize without a problem. 

Yup you got it. Oven cleaner does the trick. I also looked into Anodizing for our BMX bikes but tossed out the idea once you look into the acids and the price of a good power source to run juice through it. Also I found out the hard way that Citric Acid Powder (AKA CAP) removes it as well when I was using it to take of some rust off of our bike parts. And to think it's in our sodas and other foods........
eek.gif

BUT on the other hand I know Powder Coating would be a route to go from the house. And the color selection is amazing. 

Anyone have a powder coat system like the one they sell at Harbor freight ????

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #1,762 of 5,004

Quote:

Agree about the colour, not overly fetching is it! Would they have to be sent off to be done or is it something that can be done 'in house'?

Quote:
Those Jaben aluminum cups look sweet, especially with the way they screw together once you insert the drivers . . . nice touch.

I even like the color . .. "Girlie-Girl Grado Pink"  
tongue.gif

Unfortunately they say nothing on their site or Jaben forum about the effect on the sound, but they do show the assembly.

I follow Head-Fi thread updates using the RSS feed, but for some odd reason this thread never appears there, only on my subscription page here.

I think it's supposed to be red...Hmmmm

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #1,763 of 5,004
So you guys that have wooden shells, or other type shells...what are you using for the cap/top and screen??
Do you just bend screen mesh to fit the shells and put it inside?
I want to keep my chamber idea going, so I'll find a way to do mesh screen with some of that thin foam as a covering behind it. Like mine but the mesh screen will show with the foam directly behind it.
I guess a sandwich of screen with the foam in between is the way to go....it would be cool to make a cap that goes with the Cocobola shells color and snuggly fits over the shell as a cap

Man its good to be back thinking about fun crap and not about pain and puke....LOL..sorry for that visual///

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,764 of 5,004

can i ask where you got your metal screen with the wood cup? 

where does everyone else get theirs? i've tried lowes and home depot to no avail. 

i like the perforated screens i've been seeing. where might i find those?

Quote:
So you guys that have wooden shells, or other type shells...what are you using for the cap/top and screen??
Do you just bend screen mesh to fit the shells and put it inside?
I want to keep my chamber idea going, so I'll find a way to do mesh screen with some of that thin foam as a covering behind it. Like mine but the mesh screen will show with the foam directly behind it.
I guess a sandwich of screen with the foam in between is the way to go....it would be cool to make a cap that goes with the Cocobola shells color and snuggly fits over the shell as a cap

Man its good to be back thinking about fun crap and not about pain and puke....LOL..sorry for that visual///

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,765 of 5,004
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g44/c351/s450/list/p1/DIYMod_Parts-Panels_Tops_Mesh_Acrylic-Modders_Mesh_Panels-Page1.html modder's mesh?

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #1,767 of 5,004
Yeah, hit the local dollar stores. I got a very appropriate one for $1 with enough material to do 6 or 8 grilles. Easy to work with (especially with tin snips) and comes out looking very nice.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,768 of 5,004

Right on, Mine are made from a black letter tray. Cost about $7 bucks, but it did the trick. It's a little stiff to work with, and cuts best with a dremel however.
Quote:
i think those are metal screen office pencil cups / trays... 

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,769 of 5,004

It seems I may have inadvertenly constructed a triple entendre for your reading pleasure, outstanding. You have piqued my interest with these "skinny inners" though. Anxiously awaiting your impressions paired with the cocobolo's.

I got distracted today.  While getting things ready for tomorrow's mail, I had this need, this irresistible craving, to make shells out of a hunk of Brazilian rosewood.  It occurred to me that while the Skinny is an interesting solution to the problem of plastic inners, it's already incorporated within the idea of the double wall.  My double-wall design already extends a wall of wood within the interior of a plastic inner.  I got to wondering what it might be like if I extended this wall beyond the immediate need to grip the plastic.  What if I pushed the depth of the groove until the interior wall penetrated all the way to the driver?  What would that look like?  What difference would it make?

The groove isn't simply deep enough to form a brace over the lip of the plastic inner.  It's pretty deep, deep enough to go to the driver.

If you can't get rid of plastic, at least make it take a number.

The only thing preventing this shell from completely eating the plastic is driver.

While I'm not about to win any beauty contests, the effect of the double wall and the Brazilian rosewood is nothing less than spectacular.  Nothing comes close to cocobolo, except for Brazilian rosewood - and the deep double wall lets the chamber start where it ought to start: Right at the driver.  True story: I was listening to ELO's "I Need Her Love" and I heard a rumble so palpable I thought something was going on outside.  Not bad!

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,770 of 5,004

Quote:
can i ask where you got your metal screen with the wood cup? 

where does everyone else get theirs? i've tried lowes and home depot to no avail. 

i like the perforated screens i've been seeing. where might i find those?

Bill supplied the wood shells... Bilavideo and as others have said the screen mesh stuff can be found all around us.. I've seen sheets of different mesh through Amazon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back