SR60-Mod
Feb 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,696 of 5,004
Hi bila, thank you for this thread, it gave me the confidence to mod my SR80s and I am absolutely amazed at how different they sound. I changed the grill with brass mesh and it looks fantastic, put three holes through the vent and stuck a thin bit of blu-tac to the back of the driver and chaned the pads and woah! So much more bass, and the brightness almost completely tamed, they are like completely new cans. Because of how successful (and fun!) these cheap mods were I've decided to splash out on some cardas star-quad and see how things change. I'm really excited! :)

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,697 of 5,004
Wow, that's about as bad as the drivers I toasted with the glue there.

But more importantly, how do they sound compared to the much nicer (cleaner) looking Grados?

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #1,698 of 5,004
Can you use any piece of adhesive in place of the blu tak? just curious

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,699 of 5,004

If it's alright with everyone i would like to propose a big THANK YOU to Bill,before he goes into full self destruct mode.
biggrin.gif
  Allot of us are getting more enjoyment from our Grados than we ever thought possible thanks to his inquiring and fearless approach to modding.I would never have thought of attacking mine with a Biro
eek.gif
.Lord knows where he will end up,but he seems to be having fun getting there.Best thread on the forum award.!!.??

Thanks, Wallace!  What a difference a day makes.  I was feeling pretty low last night, but I think part of it was my health.  I may have caught something.  I felt so much of my strength sapped yesterday.  I couldn't get anything right.  I'm the same guy today, but feeling a little better (I stayed home from school and look at all the trouble I got myself into).  

Which brings me to this:

We're still finding our way, but I think we're getting closer to Grandma's house.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,700 of 5,004
sexy Bill. You continue to amaze me (us).

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,701 of 5,004

sexy Bill. You continue to amaze me (us).

If I can do it, you can do it.  Don't look now but I think I just did it.

But hey, it's just an SR60!

It doesn't hurt that I had help.  Meet Son of Bilavideo, or as I like to call him My Young Apprentice (muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha).

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #1,703 of 5,004

If I can do it, you can do it.  Don't look now but I think I just did it.

But hey, it's just an SR60!

It doesn't hurt that I had help.  Meet Son of Bilavideo, or as I like to call him My Young Apprentice (muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha).

That is pure sweetness Bill. How did you end up attaching the gimbal around the alumininum shell? It looks like some sort of screw.

Keep em' coming!
Al

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #1,704 of 5,004
Some badass cans you two pulled together. Looking great! How does that headband look with sweet chocobolos?

Yes, this thread does deserve some kind of awesomeness award!

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #1,705 of 5,004
Thanks Al

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,706 of 5,004
this is my first attempt at moding and turning wood cups for my sr-80s. made from myrtle wood purchased from rockler her in socal. i'm open to any suggestions what so ever. 

i'm not certain if i want to liberate the drivers from plastic. 

the cups depth is little under 2"
the thickness is 1/8"
the cups outer diameter is 2.5" 
the.. bevel/ring..? is 2 1/4" 

i vented the the drivers and grill cloth as mentioned from bilavideo. 

thanks in advance

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #1,707 of 5,004
I am currently rolling pads. Got my Sennheiser pads in today. Pads currently in stock: Comfies (quarter modded), Bowls, Stock Sennheiser, Sennheiser Flats (1.3" hole, 8 .3" slits radially). 

So far the "Flats" are winning in terms of sound quality to comfort ratio. The Comfies are by far the most comfy (big surprise), followed by the Stock Senns, Flats, and Bowls. I just can't do the bowls with my glasses (which is before bed, when I do most of my listening). Even after 3 or so years, they haven't softened up that much.

The Flats really don't feel that bad so far. Need more time, but hey, if they get too uncomfortable, I have 2 pairs of more comfy pads to switch to. The only issue now is getting them dyed black. The 70's yellow clashes with my nice wooden shells. It looks great with the black plastic, not so much with wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back