SR60-Mod
Jan 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #991 of 5,004
At the quality rate this thread is moving I can also senso Grado starting to sell drivers by the unit. Extra profit lol.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #995 of 5,004
Here in Texas I should be able to score some Mesquite. I wonder how it would sound as it's up there on the hardness. But that could be a negative. If anything else Mesquite is pretty darn good for Bar-B-Q........

Just a thought. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #996 of 5,004
Mesquite....that would be wild just because its Mesquite!!!! ...."I have the latest in Mesquite headphones!", I thought that was a soft wood for some reason, I do not know wood at all....

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #997 of 5,004
Mmm Texas BBQ, I miss some good brisket...at any rate, I went ahead and ordered 3 feet of 4 braid silver wire from HGA, I've got a neutrik plug sitting here on the desk, and it's feeling neglected, also got sleeving and heat shrink, this will be my final mod for the SR-60s.  
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #999 of 5,004

Quote:
Mmm Texas BBQ, I miss some good brisket...at any rate, I went ahead and ordered 3 feet of 4 braid silver wire from HGA, I've got a neutrik plug sitting here on the desk, and it's feeling neglected, also got sleeving and heat shrink, this will be my final mod for the SR-60s.  
beerchug.gif

Stop !!! If we start talking about brisket I'll have to get a slab and cook it......  Slooooowly..............  Over oak or mesquite, Heck even Pecan smokes real good dagnabbit.

any way back on topic . There is cabinet maker around the corner. I may just have to pay him a visit.   

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,000 of 5,004
Majestic-- Thanks for the pics...good stuff, hey if your woodworking guy has a lathe you may be on to something....If I had spare shells and all I'd send them to ya so he could do the measurement thing...the high end Grado's are made of some hardwood I don't know why Mesquite wouldn't work....."Mesquite Bowls"- sounds like a basketball player....
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,001 of 5,004

Quote:
Majestic-- Thanks for the pics...good stuff, hey if your woodworking guy has a lathe you may be on to something....If I had spare shells and all I'd send them to ya so he could do the measurement thing...the high end Grado's are made of some hardwood I don't know why Mesquite wouldn't work....."Mesquite Bowls"- sounds like a basketball player....
biggrin.gif

etysmile.gif
   ROFL......   "Mesquite Bolws" that's good. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,002 of 5,004

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Do you really think 3 feet is long enough? I wouldn't want a cable shorter than at least 5 feet, but if you measured it and thought it was a good idea, then whatever.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,004 of 5,004

Quote:
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!
 I tried something I haven't seen yet with outstanding results...its not what you see its whats behind it...and its not the EVS thing...

I opened up the SR125's and did the following...
1) 7 holes
2) Dynamat on the driver button
3) Removed screen and button in one piece****
4) I cut some really thin foam I had lyin around (its like 1/32) to fit the inside dimension of the top
5) Foam first with the screen and button I took out in one piece behind the foam- button facing out toward camera
6) Closed it up with tape temporary and put bowls on.
7) Put on Radiohead KID A.....
8) Wet my pants!!!

You get the slam of the low end but no boom, no undefined thump its like the low end from my Ultrasones and the mids and hi's of the Grado sound. Its still technically open as the screen is there behind the foam so for whatever reason this
is pretty cool....It took Dynamat, and 7 holes to get them to sound like my modded 60's and this last thing was the icing. But hey I'm an old guy what do I know......LOL...check it out

Just curious eclein, it would seem to me that even though they are still open that you are restricting the airflow which is what I thought was the purpose of venting the driver in the first place. I had that thump thingy going on to which is I went from 6 holes back to four and it seems to have disappated. My curiosity though is with regard to the mids and highs. If I understand your impressions correctly you seem to be implying the mids and highs have not been effected at all. I guess intuitively I sort of understand how it effects the energy of the bass, but I would think it would also effect the energy of the mids and highs too. Maybe not in a negative way but effect them none the less. Did your application of the felt tame the highs and make them less shrill?
Because I thought that was one of the things you said you didnt like about the 125. Just curious.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #1,005 of 5,004
Messing with the pads and yup, an amp does indeed help bring the HF's back. Before they were recessed a bit. Between three different styles they each affected the HF's differently. I like so far the over sized Senns, they allow all the Highs to come through. The bass on all three have stayed. Of coarse all ten holes are punched out. Time to tinker some more. 

With the pads the symbols keep disappearing. The strike of the stick softens more than I like. Still adjusting. I know distance is a factor as each pad adds at least half an inch distance from the drivers. Got some math to do even I though I suck at it. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back