SR60-Mod
Jan 24, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #1,006 of 5,004
Hey Bill.... How would you like to have access to this man's wood collection........
biggrin.gif

On this site he explains, as far guitar building goes, the difference in tones and why they were selected.
http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/main.htm

I love Ed Roman's stuff. That Buckeye Burl is still my favorite looking wood.

And Bill...

"Korina is The Holy Grail of Tone Woods"
-Ed Roman

Looks like you've got something to do now :wink:

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #1,007 of 5,004

Quote:
Mesquite....that would be wild just because its Mesquite!!!! ...."I have the latest in Mesquite headphones!", I thought that was a soft wood for some reason, I do not know wood at all....

It's pretty hard stuff. Let it cure and you have a brick. The colors in the grains are nice.....

Absolutely beautiful - and American, to boot!

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #1,012 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone have pictures of their Gardo's with mini XLR or 3.5 mm detachable at the cups?

I'm making a cable with a mini XLR at the Y-split. Not sure if that counts.

That will be bulky. You are better of soldering your XLR at the end of the cable and make some adapters. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,013 of 5,004

Yeah I find 3-4 feet ok.  I wouldn't want anything much longer than that I think, now that you mention it though 4 feet probably would have been better lol.

Quote:
Quote:
Mmm Texas BBQ, I miss some good brisket...at any rate, I went ahead and ordered 3 feet of 4 braid silver wire from HGA, I've got a neutrik plug sitting here on the desk, and it's feeling neglected, also got sleeving and heat shrink, this will be my final mod for the SR-60s.  
beerchug.gif

Do you really think 3 feet is long enough? I wouldn't want a cable shorter than at least 5 feet, but if you measured it and thought it was a good idea, then whatever.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #1,014 of 5,004

Yeah I find 3-4 feet ok.  I wouldn't want anything much longer than that I think, now that you mention it though 4 feet probably would have been better lol.

I went with four feet.  I did it out of caution.  It gave me a little more than I needed.  I think the traditional Grado 10-foot cable is based on the older practice of listening to one's hi-fi from across the room.  With 10 feet, you get a built-in extension cord.  It proved a little much for me when I skate-boarded down my driveway.  Trying to keep the cord from getting caught on a car door, I fell and broke two fingers.  Thanks a lot, Grado.  On the PS1000 and HF2, the cord has been shortened to something like eight feet.  For my purposes, four is more to my liking.  If I need an extension cord, I'll make or buy one (Grado's 15-foot extension cord is pretty sweet).  Three feet will give you a foot from ears to Y-split and two feet down your body.  If you're using the cable to listen to tunes off an iPod, you'll be fine.  If you need more extension, you can always make an extension cord.  Three-foot is definitely workable.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,015 of 5,004
I am really happy with how my wood cups have turned out. I still have plans to get better quality wood (hopefully some Mahogany this weekend or maybe something more exotic down the line), but considering made them from $2 of oak and not using a drill press, they don't look at all bad. After staining and a coating of spray paint style lacquer yesterday, they look really good. And with the new grilles on them, even better. I need to get some more listening time on them, but I would say they are a good bit better than stock. I did try some Fun Tak damping, but I really need to get ahold of some Dynamat.

I have plans to do this all again with better materials, hopefully some time soon. I consider these a practice run. Hopefully eventually my craftsmanship will improve to the point where I can compare my work to others in this thread and not be too embarassed.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,016 of 5,004

Pics!  Post up some pics

Quote:
I am really happy with how my wood cups have turned out. I still have plans to get better quality wood (hopefully some Mahogany this weekend or maybe something more exotic down the line), but considering made them from $2 of oak and not using a drill press, they don't look at all bad. After staining and a coating of spray paint style lacquer yesterday, they look really good. And with the new grilles on them, even better. I need to get some more listening time on them, but I would say they are a good bit better than stock. I did try some Fun Tak damping, but I really need to get ahold of some Dynamat.

I have plans to do this all again with better materials, hopefully some time soon. I consider these a practice run. Hopefully eventually my craftsmanship will improve to the point where I can compare my work to others in this thread and not be too embarassed.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,017 of 5,004

Quote:

I went with four feet.  I did it out of caution.  It gave me a little more than I needed.  I think the traditional Grado 10-foot cable is based on the older practice of listening to one's hi-fi from across the room.  With 10 feet, you get a built-in extension cord.  It proved a little much for me when I skate-boarded down my driveway.  Trying to keep the cord from getting caught on a car door, I fell and broke two fingers.  Thanks a lot, Grado.  On the PS1000 and HF2, the cord has been shortened to something like eight feet.  For my purposes, four is more to my liking.  If I need an extension cord, I'll make or buy one (Grado's 15-foot extension cord is pretty sweet).  Three feet will give you a foot from ears to Y-split and two feet down your body.  If you're using the cable to listen to tunes off an iPod, you'll be fine.  If you need more extension, you can always make an extension cord.  Three-foot is definitely workable.

The cable on my sr80i's is pretty short, maybe 5-6 feet.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,018 of 5,004

Quote:
Pics!  Post up some pics

Here is a few days ago, pre grilles and lacquer. They are currently drying after coating of lacquer and likely won't be ready until Wednesday. Finally got pics to work, for some reason, FF won't work. Had to download Chrome and do it with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back