SR60-Mod
May 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #4,006 of 5,004
Ahh ... here's to spontaneous purchases.  Should be arriving sometime next week.  I love the burl, but might make some modifications to the maple-ish gimbles to change the look a bit.

Thanks, Rahkim

May 26, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #4,008 of 5,004

Quote:
Very nice wje! do you know if those wood hinges (cup holders) are included?

I'm sure they are.  Rahkim is da man.  I can't wait.  
beyersmile.png

Did you notice how Rahkim doesn't use any pink or "odd colours" on his headphones?   
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

May 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #4,010 of 5,004

Quote:
Im still not sure if decolorize the jaben cups or leave them red.

I'd say leave them red - just as they are.  If a time comes and you get really sick of the color, then remove it.  Keep in mind, applying the color is much harder than removing it.  I joke about color - but, you know in all seriousness, I listen to a lot of music in the dark.  Plus, I wouldn't let another's opinion influence me - as long as the sounds were sweet and soulful.  
basshead.gif

May 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #4,011 of 5,004
Guys, I'm back!  I'm sorry to be out of it for the last week or so.  It has been a crappy week. (Can I say that?) I hurt my shoulder last weekend and kept getting shooting pains every time I lifted my arm.  By Tuesday, things were better but then my lathe died!  I have since taken it in and gotten a complete replacement for it.  I'm currently working out in the carport.  If you need to get in touch with me, send me a PM.  I'll be back with you tonight.

Bill

May 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #4,012 of 5,004

Quote:
Guys, I'm back!  I'm sorry to be out of it for the last week or so.  I hurt my shoulder last weekend and kept getting shooting pains every time I lifted my arm.  By Tuesday, things were better but then my lathe died!  I have since taken it in and gotten a complete replacement for it.  I'm currently working out in the carport.  If you need to get in touch with me, send me a PM.  I'll be back with you tonight.

Bill

Were you buying them from Harbor Freight?  I finished my whole basement with one of their $99 framing nailers.  It did an excellent job - and, I couldn't justify the $350 DeWalt.  However, at the end of my project, it was behaving a bit odd, so I brought it back to Harbor Freight for an exchange.  They were a bit reluctant to do the exchange since I didn't purchase the extended service plan, but they finally caved.  Their tools are OK for the occasional DIY person.  However, for use on a professional basis, there may be some issues with them holding up.

May 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #4,013 of 5,004

My dad swears by harbor freight products. I understand they are not the most expensive products, but treated with care they have been good to my dad. I looked into getting a $300 lathe from there, the reviews were all good. Maybe sometimes you just get unlucky with a product. Take it back, maybe the next will last longer. I guess go for the extended plan though.
Quote:
Were you buying them from Harbor Freight?  I finished my whole basement with one of their $99 framing nailers.  It did an excellent job - and, I couldn't justify the $350 DeWalt.  However, at the end of my project, it was behaving a bit odd, so I brought it back to Harbor Freight for an exchange.  They were a bit reluctant to do the exchange since I didn't purchase the extended service plan, but they finally caved.  Their tools are OK for the occasional DIY person.  However, for use on a professional basis, there may be some issues with them holding up.

May 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #4,014 of 5,004

Quote:
Guys, I'm back!  I'm sorry to be out of it for the last week or so.  It has been a crappy week. (Can I say that?) I hurt my shoulder last weekend and kept getting shooting pains every time I lifted my arm.  By Tuesday, things were better but then my lathe died!  I have since taken it in and gotten a complete replacement for it.  I'm currently working out in the carport.  If you need to get in touch with me, send me a PM.  I'll be back with you tonight.

Bill

Glad to hear from you. 
biggrin.gif

You guys might want to create a new thread for the commercial cups so that this thread can be used exclusively for modding discussions.

May 26, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #4,015 of 5,004

You're absolutely right.  For the occasional job, you can't beat Harbor Freight, which had the only lathes I could buy within an hour of my house. They don't sell lathes at Lowe's or Home Depot, Builders Square or Ace TrueValue.  You can get some sweet deals online, but the shipping is pretty stiff, given the weight of the item.  I bought from Harbor Freight so I could get my feet wet with the lathe, and I did pay for the extended service plan, which made taking it back a lot easier.  As I get into this, I'm going to invest in some serious industrial equipment, but I didn't want to throw down the milk money on my first lathe.  As it is, it's amazing what you can pull off with something reasonable.  I wish I could afford a CNC.  That would be awesome, but for that, I'm going to have to sell a body part, maybe two.

May 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #4,016 of 5,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're absolutely right.  For the occasional job, you can't beat Harbor Freight, which had the only lathes I could buy within an hour of my house. They don't sell lathes at Lowe's or Home Depot, Builders Square or Ace TrueValue.  You can get some sweet deals online, but the shipping is pretty stiff, given the weight of the item.  I bought from Harbor Freight so I could get my feet wet with the lathe, and I did pay for the extended service plan, which made taking it back a lot easier.  As I get into this, I'm going to invest in some serious industrial equipment, but I didn't want to throw down the milk money on my first lathe.  As it is, it's amazing what you can pull off with something reasonable.  I wish I could afford a CNC.  That would be awesome, but for that, I'm going to have to sell a body part, maybe two.

Builder's Square is still in business?  All their stores closed in my area many years ago.  They were owned by K-Mart at the time.

Oh, I don't mean to be rough on Harbor Freight.  In fact, I've bought plenty of tools from them (angle grinders for $29.99 vs. $129.99 at other places).  I think it's like any tool.  If you take care of it - oil it as needed, etc. it should last quite a while.  With regards to my framing nailer, what I didn't state was that I framed my 1,150 s.f. basement with it, so it really got a work-out.  At $99, it's practically a disposable tool at that price.

I've spotted a lathe at Harbor Freight that is apparently only sold in the stores, but not on-line.  It features a sanding disc at the end of this.  I figure getting a 2-in-1 tool like this for the occasional headphone cup would be quite useful as I'd imagine using the sanding disc might be easier on rounding some of the cups might be easier than using the blades or knives.

May 26, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #4,019 of 5,004
OK so Bila is respirating. I guess that rules out Mrs Bila whacking him with a large heavy object for using the dinner table as a workbench. Just some technical malfunctions and a wounded wing. So back to the subject at hand. I took the grills out of my 225 today and vented a couple of holes, then three, then four, and have halted at 5.

I'm listening to my new Warren Haynes CD, Man In Motion
biggrin.gif

These things sound so shweeeeeeet!

May 27, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #4,020 of 5,004

Quote:
OK so Bila is respirating. I guess that rules out Mrs Bila whacking him with a large heavy object for using the dinner table as a workbench.

I assumed that's how he "hurt" his shoulder
tongue.gif

(and I hope you meant "recuperating")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back