SR60-Mod
May 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #3,976 of 5,004

Get a pair of Fostex t50s. They are highly modifiable. I actually am liking them stock and am having some cups turned very soon. I cannot wait to hear them.

I hope you get your cups soon.................
Quote:
I'm not sure.  I last heard from him a week ago and he indicated he was placing my liners for my SR-325i Grados in the mail.  Hopefully, he made it to the post office. 
wink.gif

I've been posting a bit in the portable amp section this evening.  My FiiO E11 arrived today with 2 LOD cables - for my Walkman and Fuze.  That little amp really changes the Grado signature for sound.  Wherever I thought the Grado may have been slightly bass shy before, this amp is making up for it, in a big way.  Each time a component in the chain changes, I have to walk through everything all over again.  Now, I wonder how the other models would fare with this amp?  Would the RS-1 totally be out of this world with sound quality?  Arg ... so many options.

OT: My official "offer" letter arrived today.  I plan on giving my notice tomorrow and starting on June 20th.  One good thing I learned about my vacation plan is that I'm on the "monthly accrual" plan and I get 10 hours added to my plan at the end of each month.  However, June 17th will be my last day.  Not to fear, the HR group confirmed that members of the "monthly accrual" plan get the full 10 hours for the month - even if they just work one day of the month.  I could sell off my SR-325i headphones + add in that extra vacation money and get some RS-1 headphones.  I'm just not sure I could make the leap into something already "done" - without me having a desire to tweak it.

May 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #3,977 of 5,004
Those RS1's appear to be beckoning wje, you should just get them. First off, there is nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back. Second you'll get a chance to see how the tweaks to your other Grado's compare, Finally you can always sell them and get a pair of T50's to tinker with later as Schwallman noted.

I've had my eye on that T50 for a while and would have bought one probably, had I not started reading this thread, but now that I've read this thread and started tinkering and modifying it seems like the next logical purchase. I've got too many headphones though, so I have to sell a couple first, although the thought of parting with one of the two causes separation anxiety

May 25, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #3,978 of 5,004

I didn't like the t50s when I first put them on. Two weeks later, they are the only cans I have used since. My HF2s are looking at me now wondering whats wrong with me. $80 was a damn good price for the sound quality these put out stock. Highly recommended from me(if anyone cares).
Quote:
Those RS1's appear to be beckoning wje, you should just get them. First off, there is nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back. Second you'll get a chance to see how the tweaks to your other Grado's compare, Finally you can always sell them and get a pair of T50's to tinker with later as Schwallman noted.

I've had my eye on that T50 for a while and would have bought one probably, had I not started reading this thread, but now that I've read this thread and started tinkering and modifying it seems like the next logical purchase. I've got too many headphones though, so I have to sell a couple first, although the thought of parting with one of the two causes separation anxiety

May 25, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #3,979 of 5,004
I hear you.  But, I'm telling you, this new amp is making things on the current Grados really open up  a bit more.  The RS-1 Grados are not the "i" models, and are being sold by someone a bit local to me.  I guess it might be good to at least give 'em a test drive and if they're not my cup of tea, give the guy a case of brew or something like that.  I need to dig a bit more into the information that is barried on the RS-1 model (the buttons, the button-less model, etc.)  I need to get into the proper analytical state to pull up this information.

Meanwhile, I'm convinced that this headphone hobby actually pays for itself.  When I look at the time I spend kicking back and relaxing (de-stressing), it easily pays me back several times over the actual cost that I've invested.  I'm able to sleep well and wake up invigorated each day.  Meanwhile, my current co-workers seem to be wound as tight as a rubber-band ball.

May 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #3,980 of 5,004

Quote:
I didn't like the t50s when I first put them on. Two weeks later, they are the only cans I have used since. My HF2s are looking at me now wondering whats wrong with me. $80 was a damn good price for the sound quality these put out stock. Highly recommended from me(if anyone cares).

When I used to read that T50 thread there seemed to be some converted Grado heads. I havent peeked in there since like October when I got my HF2's. I recall one of the posts in the HF2 review comparison thread saying they were the perfect compliment to his HF2. For $80 bucks they are certainly worth taking a chance with.

May 25, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3,981 of 5,004

Quote:
When I used to read that T50 thread there seemed to be some converted Grado heads. I havent peeked in there since like October when I got my HF2's. I recall one of the posts in the HF2 review comparison thread saying they were the perfect compliment to his HF2. For $80 bucks they are certainly worth taking a chance with.

That's starting to sound interesting.  Certainly, worth reading up a bit more on. Thanks.

May 25, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #3,983 of 5,004
See I read all the good things about the T50RPs and I really don't like mine. I have listened to them a good bit since I haven't had Grados to listen to in almost 3 months now (god its been that long, its been terrible). They just don't work for rock music for me. Not the same sound at all. They do work well for some classic and jazz, but even with a good amount of dampening in mine, they just don't have any bass and the highs just don't cut it for good in your face rock.

I really need to get my spare driver so I can start rocking again. Has anyone heard from Bilavideo lately? He told me he was sending out a driver, but that was 15 days ago and no sign of it. I haven't seen him post in a while, is he still around?

May 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #3,984 of 5,004

Quote:
See I read all the good things about the T50RPs and I really don't like mine. I have listened to them a good bit since I haven't had Grados to listen to in almost 3 months now (god its been that long, its been terrible). They just don't work for rock music for me. Not the same sound at all. They do work well for some classic and jazz, but even with a good amount of dampening in mine, they just don't have any bass and the highs just don't cut it for good in your face rock.

I really need to get my spare driver so I can start rocking again. Has anyone heard from Bilavideo lately? He told me he was sending out a driver, but that was 15 days ago and no sign of it. I haven't seen him post in a while, is he still around?

I think Bill simply can't keep up with the shear amount of promises and sales that he has made, and it's all grown to massive proportions. It's a shame to see this thread turned into a "where's my stuff at, Bill" thread. Could you guys stop ordering his stuff till he gets his act together? Also, if you have sent him money, ask for a refund if it's gone on too long. It is getting ridiculous.

May 26, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3,985 of 5,004

Quote:
I think Bill simply can't keep up with the shear amount of promises and sales that he has made, and it's all grown to massive proportions. It's a shame to see this thread turned into a "where's my stuff at, Bill" thread. Could you guys stop ordering his stuff till he gets his act together? Also, if you have sent him money, ask for a refund if it's gone on too long. It is getting ridiculous.

EDIT.

May 26, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #3,986 of 5,004
Hey guys...I just wanted to chime in on my experience with Bila. I bought a pair of Cocobolo shells from him sometime end of January. I found Bila to be very accommodating since I requested him to customize the depth of my shells to match that of the RS-1's. He agreed and that was exactly what he did for a little bit more money, which was fair since I asked for the customization and I offered to pay for it because I knew it was extra work. He got it done and shipped them out on February 11 and I got the shells in a week. Honestly my dealings with Bila so far has been great. I have never had issues with him whatsoever.

Having said that, I completely understand what some of the rest are going through and yes, it's not pleasant to keep waiting for your orders to arrive. Because of this, it makes me wonder if Bila got tasked with something...or God forbid something unpleasant happened. It's so unlike him to not respond, provide updates and / or stick to his words. I just hope he's alright...and that he can post an update and fill those back orders. He's made shells for a lot of us in the past so large quantity of orders should not be something new to him.

Bila's done a lot for this community and I hope this is something that gets resolved quickly and we can all move on with why we are here in the first place - bringing the best out of our Grados.

May 26, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #3,987 of 5,004
That's the same boat I was in. I ordered my wood cups two to three weeks ago and multiple times the ship date had to be moved back but I believe that he made a shipment on Tuesday night. Hopefully some of your stuff was shipped too.

May 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #3,988 of 5,004
Last word I got from Bill he hurt his shoulder.

He apologized (again) for not being able to deliver as agreed. I understand that some people may begin to feel somewhat unpleasent about the delays and he aknowledges that "maybe" he has too many orders going on. Probably his own fault on not being capable of managing expectations properly as saying "tomorrow it's in the mail" doesn't seem to be happening.

On his behalf, I'd say his willing to go forward as he's constantly having new ideas and wants to incorporate them on his projects. I can relate to that since I'm also passionate about a few things in life and always want to present the ultimate design/concept/idea. This is a half-full glass perspective. A half-empty perspective will picture it as a wind up.

For the record, my agreement with him goes further than presenting a "mere" set of shells and more than once I've thought of just asking for a refund (since I sent the funds in January).  I haven't done it yet in a definitive stance. If he's having a hard time getting shells done, I have to understand that a full custom set is even harder to deliver under these circumstances.

I really have no idea how much stuff he's got behind to gauge. However, and this is merely a personal perspective, I'm willing to wait a bit more - he's not actually a business. I hope this comes out all right for everyone, as this thread (thanks mostly to Bila) has had to much awesomeness going on to go sour.

May 26, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #3,989 of 5,004
Ya I think that that is what we all need to think about and remember. That he isn't a business and that he has a life outside of making wooden cups. Recently he has gotten hurt, made many changes to his equipment, and if I recall one of his grand kids was sick, these are just the things that I have heard about and I am sure that there are many other things that could and probably our slowing down production but hopefully it will all work out. After I receive my cups on Friday and install them, I will be sure to post a review of both them and Bila.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back