SR60-Mod part II
Jul 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,182 of 3,353
I performed the blu tak mod, it is meant to tame the highs, but I feel like it really just killed the highs. The highs dont seem to be as.... Happy anymore. They seem kind of dull and depressed.

Also, another topic, any recommendations to make them more comfortable on my ears? I have decent sized ears that stick out and they press against the driver. Im currently using Bowl pads. I also plan on performing the Shack Hack mod eventually but anything to help until I get time to run to RS?

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #3,183 of 3,353
Quote:
I performed the blu tak mod, it is meant to tame the highs, but I feel like it really just killed the highs. The highs dont seem to be as.... Happy anymore. They seem kind of dull and depressed.

Also, another topic, any recommendations to make them more comfortable on my ears? I have decent sized ears that stick out and they press against the driver. Im currently using Bowl pads. I also plan on performing the Shack Hack mod eventually but anything to help until I get time to run to RS?

Reshape the headband a bit.  It's amazing what shaping the band can do to alleviate pressure on the ears.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3,184 of 3,353
I tried to install leather headband on my old sr60s, but when I try to get this metal band from plastic I can't. I tried like on this video on youtube (Grado leather headband installation) but i'm affraid to break this plastic thing.
Thanks in advance for help.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #3,185 of 3,353
Quote:
I tried to install leather headband on my old sr60s, but when I try to get this metal band from plastic I can't. I tried like on this video on youtube (Grado leather headband installation) but i'm affraid to break this plastic thing.
Thanks in advance for help.

It should come apart pretty easily.

You'll hear a crack, and it will scare you, but that's just the glue seal breaking.  After you hear that, grab the plastic part and the metal/vinyl headband and pull them apart.  Should come out very easily.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,187 of 3,353
Newbie here, too lazy to go through all pages ...
Debating which one to get (60 or 80) as I have held both for pickup this evening ...

Is there a post / page which explains all different mods and how to (Blu Tak Mod, Quarter Mod, etc.) ... Is Felt mod and Dynamat mod the same ...
Leaning toward purchasing the 60 and do some mods (Hole punch (4 holes), Quarter mod / Flat TTVJ pad, etc) ... No custom wood or cable mod, a bit too intensive for me ... But is it hard to glue the cap back, any advice ...

What kind of mods should I consider if I purchase the 60, what about 80 ... Would it be on par with 80 or even 125 after sr60 mods ...

Any suggestions/advices would be much appreciated ...

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3,188 of 3,353
Just try them both. If you will like sr60 get them. I like my sr60 but I would love to check all other grado headphones. I'm curious if I would like them even better.
Mods do change a bit but they wont make PS1000 from your sr60. Maybe you wouldn't like how the PS1000 sounds.

Try & buy, and don't regret after. There are always better headphones.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #3,189 of 3,353
If I were to send my sr60's to someone, how much would the average labor cost to frankenstein them?

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3,190 of 3,353
Quote:
If I were to send my sr60's to someone, how much would the average labor cost to frankenstein them?

Depends on what you want done.

There's one company I know of (well, it's 1 guy really and he's really good at what he does) that will put on wood cups for you for the price of shipping if you buy the cups from him.

Rewiring would likely cost more, again depending on materials; though you could do that yourself if you wanted.

Actually, you could do any of the mods yourself; but I understand wanting to send them off after I nearly had a disaster with one of my headphones.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,191 of 3,353
Quote:
Depends on what you want done.

There's one company I know of (well, it's 1 guy really and he's really good at what he does) that will put on wood cups for you for the price of shipping if you buy the cups from him.

Rewiring would likely cost more, again depending on materials; though you could do that yourself if you wanted.

Actually, you could do any of the mods yourself; but I understand wanting to send them off after I nearly had a disaster with one of my headphones.

Completely stock, but I could send with the cups off (but included) and take the cloth off everything. Yeah I haven't started my journey in electronics tinkering yet so I would rather a seasoned veteran do it

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #3,192 of 3,353
Quote:

Completely stock, but I could send with the cups off (but included) and take the cloth off everything. Yeah I haven't started my journey in electronics tinkering yet so I would rather a seasoned veteran do it

I would leave the cloth on.  It protects the drivers from dirt and hairs that could really negatively impact the sound.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #3,193 of 3,353
Quote:
I don't think it's made a difference, I've swapped my SR-225's to SR-60's and it didn't do anything except look really awesome

Maybe i did miss a post but what about no mesh at all on the sr225i? ie: I don't have children around to poke a hole inside the driver
Thanks
Daniel

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #3,194 of 3,353
Quote:
Maybe i did miss a post but what about no mesh at all on the sr225i? ie: I don't have children around to poke a hole inside the driver
Thanks
Daniel

You should leave the mesh on ALL Grados to prevent stuff getting in...
When buying used Grados one should always check that the mesh (cheese cloth) is in place and in good shape.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,195 of 3,353
Quote:
I think I'm going to splurge and purchase wood cups and a recable from Ohrenholz. Will post when it's all done, assuming I go through with this. It seems odd to spend more modding a headphone than you did on the headphone.

But I want to. :)

Can you tell me what is the Ohrenholz web site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back