SR60-Mod part II
Sep 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3,213 of 3,353

Could someone measure the front of the cup where the driver is? Thanks.

Are you asking about the older style of Grado, or the newer "i" version?  The newer "i" version will have a larger distance for the measurement you seek since the cups were redesigned.

"i" version:)

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,214 of 3,353
  Could someone measure the front of the cup where the driver is? Thanks.

1. The distance from the area where the driver is, to the outer cup facing is 1 3/8"

1. The diameter of the outer cup that covers the driver is approximately 2 1/2"

Let me know if you need additional measurements.  These were taken from my Alessandro MS1i headphones, which are the same as the "i" version from Grado.  I would have posted the measurements last night, but didn't have my tape measure close by.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #3,216 of 3,353
  My ~12 year old grado SR80 mod:

AFTER:

The plastic 'horseshoe' part of the headband on the right is attached the wrong way round.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #3,218 of 3,353
  The plastic 'horseshoe' part of the headband on the right is attached the wrong way round.
wink.gif

good eye thanks.

That would be the gimbal.  And, yes, the dot / protrusion in the arc does go towards the ear side of the headphones.

I ordered 3 pair of the Sennheiser 414 pads that should arrive today.  I'm looking forward to doing the quarter mod and soaking the yellow pads in some RIT dye to get them darker.  It's been a couple of years since I've last done those tasks.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3,219 of 3,353

That would be the gimbal.  And, yes, the dot / protrusion in the arc does go towards the ear side of the headphones.

I ordered 3 pair of the Sennheiser 414 pads that should arrive today.  I'm looking forward to doing the quarter mod and soaking the yellow pads in some RIT dye to get them darker.  It's been a couple of years since I've last done those tasks.

My SR225i's have that on both sides, assuming you're talking about the small protrusion at the apex of the gimbal arc.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #3,220 of 3,353
  My SR225i's have that on both sides, assuming you're talking about the small protrusion at the apex of the gimbal arc.

Oh, yes.  My answer was only half correct.  If you look at the arc of the gimbal in the picture, the plastic is indented on each side of the protruding dot.  That is the indicator that the gimbal is installed incorrectly. 

Sorry for any confusion.  Since I'm always confused, should I apologize to myself, too? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3,222 of 3,353
How much does removing the middle logo (sr__ circle) affect the sound?

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3,223 of 3,353
Sep 7, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #3,225 of 3,353
  Plus, on the lower end models, one would basically have to hack up the plastic grill and replace it with metal mesh to get the buttons off of the sides.

True - when I tried to take the buttons off my SR60i a few years ago, I ended up having to destroy the plastic 'grills' as they were practically welded with glue to the cups. 
I was happy to replace it with woven steel mesh later, but was surprised at how much glue there was holding the originals down. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back