SR60-Mod part II
Sep 14, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #2,041 of 3,353
oh.

I can't open the cups up.. I might distort it further and .. 

Is it okay to just inhale/exhale at the driver from the protector to blow out any hair stuck?

My hair's quite short, so I think it should be easy to remove. 

By the way, in theory, rough surfaces diffuse the sound better than smooth surfaces which reflect sound..

I suppose the chamber's too small to notice any differences before/after sanding the inner surface.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #2,042 of 3,353

Quote:
I live at Selangor, Shah Alam to be precise .... =)

Ahh, good to see members all the way from Malaysia. I had the pleasure of visiting Malaysia last summer, but didn't visit Shah Alam (or even JB). I stayed in KL for a couple of days, and visited Langkawi for about a week and then spent another few days in Melaka. Seriously fantastic country. Amazing food, diverse people, rich history, and gorgeous landscape. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #2,044 of 3,353

Quote:

Ahh, good to see members all the way from Malaysia. I had the pleasure of visiting Malaysia last summer, but didn't visit Shah Alam (or even JB). I stayed in KL for a couple of days, and visited Langkawi for about a week and then spent another few days in Melaka. Seriously fantastic country. Amazing food, diverse people, rich history, and gorgeous landscape. 

Thanks Questhate =) Shah Alam is a boring place thats why ... but KL and tons of other foodie areas are great esp Penang ... its like food heaven there .... if you ever come by again ill give you a tour lol =) hey just wondering, what are the sound differences that you had when you changed to woodies? i just changed mine and the sound is warmer but not as clear .. is that normal?

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #2,045 of 3,353
I'll try to explain your situation Jin, with a little bit of science.

Sound waves attack the dense housing. Dense material causes most of the sound waves to be reflected back, instead of being absorbed by the material. Somehow this causes the bass to be more pronounced. Put that bass in together with the forward mids and super highs of the Grado, you get a slightly more congested sound.

Or something like that. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,046 of 3,353
Quote:

Sound waves attack the dense housing. Dense material causes most of the sound waves to be reflected back, instead of being absorbed by the material. Somehow this causes the bass to be more pronounced. Put that bass in together with the forward mids and super highs of the Grado, you get a slightly more congested sound.

Or something like that. 

Physics-wise, close enough. 

Jin,  your brain just needs an adjustment period to the additional low freq response created by the wood.  The resonance of the wood itself shouldn't affect the quality of the sound negatively, because it's actually pretty miniscule on this scale.  Stock Grados are very bright and cool sounding cans.  When you add the warm bottom end of wood, it takes a little while for your brain to adjust...it sounds "muddier" than it did stock because with the change in sound, the focus has been taken off of the top end.  Once you get used to having more depth and impact, the congestion should start to fade and you should be able to "image" instrument placement and whatnot like before.

edit: changed it to sound less pedantic.  lol.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2,047 of 3,353

Quote:

Or something like that. 

The wood housing is denser than the plastic? OMG thanks ... thats the exact words i was looking for .. yup the sound is definitely more congested ... phewh ... i get it now .. thanksss

Quote:
Physics-wise, close enough. 

Jin,  your brain just needs an adjustment period to the additional low freq response created by the wood.  The resonance of the wood itself shouldn't affect the quality of the sound negatively, because it's actually pretty miniscule on this scale.  Stock Grados are very bright and cool sounding cans.  When you add the warm bottom end of wood, it takes a little while for your brain to adjust...it sounds "muddier" than it did stock because with the change in sound, the focus has been taken off of the top end.  Once you get used to having more depth and impact, the congestion should start to fade and you should be able to "image" instrument placement and whatnot like before.

edit: changed it to sound less pedantic.  lol.

Ill take your advice and listen for many more hours with the woodies .. with any luck ill be having superb imaging and the mids will come back ! thanks lots ..... been listening to my woodies for 5 hours straight not .. =) got it wow didnt know there was so much science to cups ... really opened my eyes / ears to be exact .. thankssssss

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2,048 of 3,353

Quote:

I wonder if a rougher inner surface (cup/chamber) would improve the sound.. Hmm .   

Btw, what do I do if hair, dirt or dust gets into the driver? 

no, because unless you make the roughness on the inner surface of your cup to the order of 1mm, none of the audible frequency will have a wavelength short enough to be affected.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #2,049 of 3,353
Good News - Bad News.  Or, Do We Say: Bad New - Good News?

Bad News: I've recently learned that Cabillas will no longer be providing his fine cups for Grado headphones.  Yes, gone are the great prices, along with the potential of future wooden-lined aluminum cup options and all that great stuff.  Life has balances - Francisco has to have time for the right balance in his life and for his family.

Good News: We still have people, or MOT members, who make custom wooden cups for our Grados.  Yeah!   We don't have to live with the "status-quo."  Those that were in the "queue" with Cabillas will apparently get their cups shipped out, but asking for new orders seems like a "no-go."

Bad News: My one leather sewing machine sews too fast.  I need to slow the beast down to make some straighter stitches.

Good News: I've made lots of prototypes and have been enjoying it.  I essentially need a servo motor, where I can dial in the speed that I want the motor to max out out.  However, there is an interim method that I can use - which means installing a 2" pulley on the motor side in place of the 4" pulley to slow the motor down.  Plus, I'm getting another leather machine on Saturday, that will capably sew 3/4" of leather.  Yes, 3 layers of belt can be sewn together for those "extra-thick" headbands.

More to follow in due time.  Enjoy everybody !!

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2,050 of 3,353
Cabillas' cups were a steal at the price he was offering and top notch quality, I'll be sad to see him go.  My iroko cups are gorgeous and sound amazing, I can't imagine ever parting with them.

Still in the market for a headband though, so it's not all bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Bad News: I've recently learned that Cabillas will no longer be providing his fine cups for Grado headphones.  Yes, gone are the great prices, along with the potential of future wooden-lined aluminum cup options and all that great stuff.  Life has balances - Francisco has to have time for the right balance in his life and for his family.

Good News: We still have people, or MOT members, who make custom wooden cups for our Grados.  Yeah!   We don't have to live with the "status-quo."  Those that were in the "queue" with Cabillas will apparently get their cups shipped out, but asking for new orders seems like a "no-go."

Bad News: My one leather sewing machine sews too fast.  I need to slow the beast down to make some straighter stitches.

Good News: I've made lots of prototypes and have been enjoying it.  I essentially need a servo motor, where I can dial in the speed that I want the motor to max out out.  However, there is an interim method that I can use - which means installing a 2" pulley on the motor side in place of the 4" pulley to slow the motor down.  Plus, I'm getting another leather machine on Saturday, that will capably sew 3/4" of leather.  Yes, 3 layers of belt can be sewn together for those "extra-thick" headbands.

More to follow in due time.  Enjoy everybody !!

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2,051 of 3,353
Yeah, I don't think I'll get my replacement cups for the pair that I sent off to Kojaku.  So much for trying to be a nice guy.  I guess I'll chalk one up as a "learning experience" on this one. 
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'm sick of being the nice guy.

[size=10pt]

[size=1.6em] Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me[/size]

[/size]
[size=10pt]    [/size]

You know, in the end, Kojaku, turned out to be an ungrateful P.O.S.  I ponied up the USPS Priority Mail postage and all.  I even responded to his message if I'd like some of the available leather he had, since he offered it.  As soon as he got the cups from me, he barely said "thank you" if that and stopped communicating with me.

I'm really starting to hate this crap.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2,052 of 3,353

Quote:

oh that is really bad news... i accidentally made a dent on one of the cups i got from Cabillas during a long haul flight from asia back to the states and was thinking of getting another pair from him for my future SR225i...

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #2,053 of 3,353

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think I'll get my replacement cups for the pair that I sent off to Kojaku.  So much for trying to be a nice guy.  I guess I'll chalk one up as a "learning experience" on this one. 
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'm sick of being the nice guy.

[size=10pt]

[size=1.6em] Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me[/size]

[/size]
[size=10pt]    [/size]

You know, in the end, Kojaku, turned out to be an ungrateful P.O.S.  I ponied up the USPS Priority Mail postage and all.  I even responded to his message if I'd like some of the available leather he had, since he offered it.  As soon as he got the cups from me, he barely said "thank you" if that and stopped communicating with me.

I'm really starting to hate this crap.

uhh now that you mentioned it, I noticed that Kojaku hasn't been around for a few weeks... I thought he was at least an enthusiastic contributor to the community with his advocacy on the sock mods and stuff...

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2,054 of 3,353
Kojaku, karma always comes around buddy, hope to hear from you soon

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #2,055 of 3,353
So I tried taking apart my MS1s with a heat gun and that was a really really bad idea. It melted the mesh on one of the cups a bit...):

It doesn't effect sound and only appearance a little, but it's still annoys me. Eventually I took the cups apart with a spoon and poked the holes I wanted to poke.

Ideally I'd like to get new mesh. I saw a couple of old threads around with a really really cool copper wire mesh mod. Looks amazing, unfortunately it's next to impossible to get copper mesh in Canada. Tried looking around locally to places like Canadian Tire and Home Depot, no luck. McMaster-Carr and Amazon.com has exactly what I want but they don't ship to Canada. The few sites that do ship to Canada charge $30 on top for shipping...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what alternatives I could do? The closest thing I could find was the window screen mesh, but that always comes in huge rolls and I don't think it would look that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back