SR60-Mod part II
Sep 12, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,011 of 3,353

Quote:
Chris - have you ever tried a wooden liner with the aluminium slip-on cup?

Just interested to see if anyone has.  I bought Twinster's old cups off his MS2is.  I pried the plastic inner/liner out - and it's an interesting sound (kind of hard to describe).  Definitely strengthened the highs and upper mids.  As soon as I can afford it - I'm going to order woody inners from Marty - but was going to try and get a slip-on style inner and cup - so I can alternate between full woody and hybrid wood/aluminium.

Just wondering if anyone else had tried this?

I don't have access to wood or a wood crafter and those SR325i's I sent back to the owner already.

I just recommend that if you're contacting Marty for work, I'd like to think the full woody is much better than the half woody, although I will attest that they do look great in pics! Some people are ok with the Grado sound (myself) and are just looking for an appearance update with the ability to resell stock cans anyway.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #2,012 of 3,353

Marty made cups, Chris_Himself made cable, compiled by me.  Now I'm looking at the PS500's or other mid-range (of their line) Grado

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,013 of 3,353

Quote:
Please don't take this as a knock against Grado. They just felt "cheaper". I popped them apart. No heat simply pulled the cups apart, which were crooked...
Quote:
As for removing cups, I just pried mine (SR80's) right off, without any heat or stickiness using bare hand and very little force.  No such luck with SR325i, though.

I think Grado is getting real cheap with their "budget series".  I'm not complaining about the little amount of glue used on cups.  No, that in fact made things allot easier with regard to modding.  However, crooked cups\gimbals and (in the case of new SR325i) cheap looking chromed cups..., now that really disappoints me Mr. Grado.  What ever happened to the quality Grado of yesteryears? 

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #2,014 of 3,353

Quote:

I think Grado is getting real cheap with their "budget series".  I'm not complaining about the little amount of glue used on cups.  No, that in fact made things allot easier with regard to modding.  However, crooked cups\gimbals and (in the case of new SR325i) cheap looking chromed cups..., now that really disappoints me Mr. Grado.  What ever happened to the quality Grado of yesteryears? 

Actually, a few of us who recently purchased Grado SR-225i headphones (about 2 months ago) had too much glue when we opened the cups.  The hot glue they used ran down the inside of the liner and partially covered one of the driver's vent holes.  This happened to Chris as well as myself.  It just might be the quality of workers they're hiring.  It probably takes a person a week or so to get acclimated to a glue gun for proper use.  Plus, I'm sure there are people who are working in a role without any passion for what they're making.  I'm sure  Mr. Grado and his long-time following employees are great at what they do, but maybe, the newer employees look at it much differently - a means to get income to pay their bills.

If I didn't live 4 hours from Brooklyn, I'd love to take on some part-time work for them if the option was available.  I wonder if they offer an employee discount? 
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #2,017 of 3,353
Sep 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #2,018 of 3,353

Quote:
Marty made cups, Chris_Himself made cable, compiled by me.  Now I'm looking at the PS500's or other mid-range (of their line) Grado

Gorgeous looking set of headphones you got there! How do you like the way the wood cups and the silver cables sound?

Quote:
Actually, a few of us who recently purchased Grado SR-225i headphones (about 2 months ago) had too much glue when we opened the cups.  The hot glue they used ran down the inside of the liner and partially covered one of the driver's vent holes.  This happened to Chris as well as myself.  It just might be the quality of workers they're hiring.  It probably takes a person a week or so to get acclimated to a glue gun for proper use.  Plus, I'm sure there are people who are working in a role without any passion for what they're making.  I'm sure  Mr. Grado and his long-time following employees are great at what they do, but maybe, the newer employees look at it much differently - a means to get income to pay their bills.

If I didn't live 4 hours from Brooklyn, I'd love to take on some part-time work for them if the option was available.  I wonder if they offer an employee discount? 
wink.gif

Yep, I found that my copy of the 225i had too much glue on it as well (bought mine in March 2011). It dripped down to the driver, but did not cover any of the vent holes. 

+1 to your idea of taking on part-time work. I've always thought it would be cool to have a weekend job for fun at an REI (since i love snowboarding, backpacking and cycling), Calumet (photography gear was another wallet-killer for me), or maybe a Guitar Center so that i can demo a wide variety of headphones. I wouldn't even need to be compensated that much if the scheduling was flexible enough for me to still make weekend plans. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,019 of 3,353
I'm quoting a post about linking to web sites belonging to Members of the Trade as this question keeps coming up in this thread particularly.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't link it because the mods are careful about members here who are or are not a MOT (Member of the Trade).  I think there's a lot of fine options available - yet, I don't want to jeopardize the offerings. 
wink.gif

Quote:
I think it's ok for YOU to link other MOT's stuff, but not your own. Youre allowed to discuss your own products as they come up, but not shamelessly plug your products all the time. I think thats as much as I know about the subject

Quote:
I know we are all a little paranoid after the last thread got locked down... But it's perfectly fine to post all the links you want as long as YOU aren't the MOT or affiliated with the MOT.

What would the Internet be without links.
wink.gif

If you're curious about the details, it's all right here:
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/terms-of-service

This last post is correct.   I'm going to quote the Terms of Service as lately I've been sending people the link frequently recently:

Quote:
"Member of the Trade" includes (but is not limited to) manufacturers; individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; individuals selling items acquired (or made by the individual and/or his associates) for the primary purpose of resale; individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; dealers; distributors; manufacturer's representatives; importers; magazine and e-zine writers.

"Main Forums" are those forums within Head-Fi not specifically designated as areas for commercial advertising by Members of the Trade.

No Members of the Trade can use his/her business name, product name, brand name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or URL as part of his/her Head-Fi username. All Members of the Trade must contact the forum administrator at jude@head-fi.org to notify him of an interest in posting before making any posts. If a forum member who was not previously a Member of the Trade becomes a Member of the Trade, he must notify the forum administrator of the change in status. After notification of the "Member of the Trade" status, the forum administrator will then add the appropriate tag (Audio Dealer, Manufacturer, Distributor, etc.) to the appropriate profile(s).

A Member of the Trade may not--via the forums, Private Messaging, or Head-Fi's e-mail relay function--volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the Main Forums.

A Member of the Trade may not post announcements, advertisements, sales information or the like about a product he makes or sells in the Main Forums, via Private Messaging, or via Head-Fi's e-mail relay function.

No advertising by Members of the Trade that is not pre-approved by the Head-Fi administrators is allowed in the member forums. Some sponsors have Branded Sponsor Forums in which they will be allowed to advertise their wares. There will also be designated areas and forums where sponsors and non-sponsors alike will be able to advertise their wares. Head-Fi is most definately NOT anti-trade. In fact, trade members are a welcome and vital part of the Head-Fi community. However, Head-Fi's Main Forums, its Private Messaging System, or its e-mail relay function are not to be used for unsolicited self promotion and advertising of audio products or services.

A Member of the Trade may not post negative comments about products/services of competitors.

A Member of the Trade may not review (or make any subjective assessments of) his or her services and/or products he or she manufacturers, represents, sells.

Head-Fi Private Messaging is not to be used for unsolicited advertising. Using Head-Fi Private Messaging for unsolicited advertising will result in at least a temporary ban of the sender from Head-Fi.

Head-Fi's e-mail relay function is not to be used for unsolicited advertising. Using Head-Fi's e-mail relay feature for unsolicited advertising will result in at least a temporary ban of the sender from Head-Fi.

Promotion of Member of the Trade video content (similar to, but not limited to, YouTube videos):  If you are a Member of the Trade, and you wish to post video content that is in any way promoting your company, products, services, etc., you must first contact Jude via private messaging or email for approval first.  If you receive approval to post your video, then the rules regarding posting of personal video content will apply.

I should add here that "A Member of the Trade may not post negative comments about products/services of competitors." includes posts by MOTs that perform mods about the products or companies that manufacture the products they modify. IE: A MOT that modifies Grados cannot post negative comments about Grado or their products and a custom cable maker cannot comment negatively about stock headphone cables.

Most importantly: A person is a Member of the Trade when their activities define them as a Member of the Trade, NOT only after they are tagged. Basically, as soon as someone decides they will offer products or services, they are a MOT by definition and CANNOT volunteer posts about their activities. It seems people think they can advertise their activities until they are well-known, then get a MOT tag and stop. That is NOT the case.

I suggest bookmarking this post for future reference. 
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2,022 of 3,353
Just some quick questions...

I bought some MS1s and I was wondering if they had the same or similar 10 ventilation holes the SR-60 have. I really think the weakest thing about these headphones is the lack of bass. I mean I don't want a crazy pounding, but I want something a bit more then stock.

Also I'm assuming it's going to be a similar method of taking them apart. In the 1st post the headphones were "steamed." I have a heat gun (I use it for body work on cars), would it be ok to use that? Obviously I'd heat it and then periodically try to twist the housings apart, just worried if there's anything that potentially be damaged before the glue melts.

And lastly, after you soften the glue and take the housings apart, do you need new glue to put them together? Or do you just poke the holes and then stick the housings back together?

If you can't tell I'm new to this audiophile stuff and MS1s are my first audiophile cans. Loving them so far but I still want to mod em!

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #2,023 of 3,353
Yes the MS1i's have the same layout - and yes same method for removing the cups.  Be careful with the heat, and don't place too long in any one spot.  Just keep rotating around the cup, and periodically trying to pry them apart.  It doesn't take too long.

For mine, I haven't re-glued, because they hold together alright without the glue - and this it's easier to take them apart for any more changes.  If you're going to vent the drivers, start small - 1 or 2 holes only.  You can always add more later.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #2,024 of 3,353
Don't heat the cups up too rapidly.

What I did for one side was apply low heat for about 20 seconds, pulled away for 5, 20 seconds.. pulled away for 5.

The other side, I did it without pulling away. The glue melted really fast but when the cups cooled down,

it shrank so it wouldn't fit onto the driver housing. 

lol.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #2,025 of 3,353
Can anyone here speak Spanish or help me clarify things with Cabillas .. i ordered a pair of sapele cups on july 21th ... shortly after he gave me a tracking number which showed that he posted it on august 3rd and i have received them safely.
mount:​
€40.00 EUR
Currency conversion:​
RM175.15 MYR = €40.00 EUR
Exchange rate:​
1 MYR = 0.228381EUR
Sent on:​
July 21, 2011
Payment method:​
Credit Card Payment
Subject line of your payment email:​
You've received a payment
Message in your payment email:​
Sapeli wood. Name : Yoong Loong Jin head-fi name : jinteddy7 Email : jinteddy7@gmail.com No. 12A, Jalan Industri USJ 1/8, Taman Perindustrian USJ 1, 47600 Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia

I then decided to order another set of iroko cups on august 15th for iroko cups
Amount:​
€40.00 EUR
Currency conversion:​
RM175.18 MYR = €40.00 EUR
Exchange rate:​
1 MYR = 0.228347EUR
Sent on:​
August 15, 2011
Payment method:​
Credit Card Payment
Message in your payment email:​
Iroko wood. Name : Yoong Loong Jin head-fi name : jinteddy7 Email : jinteddy7@gmail.com No. 12A, Jalan Industri USJ 1/8, Taman Perindustrian USJ 1, 47600 Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia

i have not received them yet, i keep emailing cabillas asking if he has sent them yet and he keeps telling me yes and giving me the same tracking number as the first set of cups .. i think that he has mixed up my orders and disregarded the second one .. i tell him that i sent him a second payment for the second cups but he tells me that he already sent the cups on august 3rd as stated in the tracking. i think that this is just a matter of miscommunication as there is a language barrier .. can someone help me clarify things with him .. ive asked him many times but he still keeps giving me the old tracking number. I don't blame him and i'm not trying to tarnish his name as i received my first set without any problems. please help. -jin-

Particulares > Localizador de envíos > Estado del envío

Estado del envío

[td=colspan:2]  Número de envío: RR577586775ES
[td] Fechas[/td] [td] Estados[/td] [td] 03/08/2011[/td] [td] Admitido[/td] [td] 03/08/2011[/td] [td] En tránsito[/td] [td] 03/08/2011[/td] [td] En tránsito[/td] [td] 05/08/2011[/td] [td] Salida de la Oficina Internacional de origen[/td] [td] 10/08/2011[/td] [td] Llegada a la Oficina Internacional de destino[/td] [td] 10/08/2011[/td] [td] Salida de envío de oficina de cambio destino[/td]

NOTA: Para obtener información sobre los estados, sitúe el cursor sobre cada estado

Realizar nueva consulta

[/td]

Individuals  >  shipments Locator  >  State Shipping

Shipment Status

[td=colspan:2]  Shipment number: RR577586775ES
[td] Dates[/td] [td] States[/td] [td] 03/08/2011[/td] [td] Acknowledged[/td] [td] 03/08/2011[/td] [td] In transit[/td] [td] 03/08/2011[/td] [td] In transit[/td] [td] 05/08/2011[/td] [td] Departure from the International Office of origin[/td] [td] 10/08/2011[/td] [td] Arrival at the International Bureau of destination[/td] [td] 10/08/2011[/td] [td] Output shipping destination exchange office[/td]

NOTE: For information on states, position the cursor over each state

Further consultation

[/td]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back