SR60-Mod part II
Aug 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #1,381 of 3,353

Quote:
This what I heard with trimmed bowls (without socks) as well. A quantifiable increase in lower end and mid bass, yet slightly muddy. Not as much room for the tightness to be established (thus detracting a bit from bass clarity). Not enough "kick-space", as I called it in my tutorial. This is why I didn't use the trimmed bowls alone (sans-socks). I wasn't willing to sacrifice even a bit of tightness
wink.gif

Kojaku

yeah, i'd be willing to bet that trimmed bowls sound very similar to flats. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,382 of 3,353
Well I'd be willing to take those flats off your hands when you're done with them. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,384 of 3,353
See here's my feelings. Keep in mind I have an SR60, not 225.

I listened to the RS1i's and loved their bass and highs, which extended lower and with more force for bass and were slightly better (more sparkly) in the high frequency area. I can improve the bass performance (slam, quantity) by sacrificing a tiny bit of the lower midrange, resulting in a "muddiness". I however can't do anything further than I have to extend the highs, the flats are just as open as the bowls. The only thing that would change the highs would be to add comfies, but that would tone down the highs.

For me, these are fun headphones, not analytical ones. The extra oompf the flats gives the bass makes these infinitely more fun for rock music in my mind. This trade off for a tiny bit of lower mid range. If I want a more pure mid range, I'll go to my Fostexes. The bowls just have never done it for me. I know I am in a super minority here, but they don't sound that much different, minus the lacking bass, than the flats. Plus they are just uncomfortable to me. Again though, to each his own.

Once I get more happy with my source/amp, I will definitely go up stream headphone-wise. Especially now that I have heard the HF-1, RS-1 (and LCD-2 for that matter). I was tempted to buy the Rev 2.5 Magnums recently for sale, but decided to hold back.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,385 of 3,353

Quote:
In all honesty, I'm pretty much done with them. I'm going to offer them to a few other friends first, but, I'll send you a PM if no one I have in mind wants them.

Awesome. Thanks!

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,386 of 3,353

Quote:
See here's my feelings. Keep in mind I have an SR60, not 225.

I listened to the RS1i's and loved their bass and highs, which extended lower and with more force for bass and were slightly better (more sparkly) in the high frequency area. I can improve the bass performance (slam, quantity) by sacrificing a tiny bit of the lower midrange, resulting in a "muddiness". I however can't do anything further than I have to extend the highs, the flats are just as open as the bowls. The only thing that would change the highs would be to add comfies, but that would tone down the highs.

For me, these are fun headphones, not analytical ones. The extra oompf the flats gives the bass makes these infinitely more fun for rock music in my mind. This trade off for a tiny bit of lower mid range. If I want a more pure mid range, I'll go to my Fostexes. The bowls just have never done it for me. I know I am in a super minority here, but they don't sound that much different, minus the lacking bass, than the flats. Plus they are just uncomfortable to me. Again though, to each his own.

Once I get more happy with my source/amp, I will definitely go up stream headphone-wise. Especially now that I have heard the HF-1, RS-1 (and LCD-2 for that matter). I was tempted to buy the Rev 2.5 Magnums recently for sale, but decided to hold back.

They definitely present things differently. i can see why someone would like these.. and how they could dislike the bowls coming from flats.. The flats just aren't my cup of tea. I think I'm going to send them to wayne so he can try them out and then marty. So, we can prolly look forward to some more TTVJ flats impressions. At least, that's the idea. 

I have found a few albums/artists that sound particularly good on the flats.. Mostly music I would consider very bass light.. Songs that could use the extra oomph. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,387 of 3,353
I've recabled the Sr60's with Blue Dragon...

-I regret it.

Now my HD 650's with blue dragon sound the same as Grado's with the Blue Dragon. HUGE letdown. However, this does open new theories as to how effective headphone cables really are. I can't believe the cable transformed the headphone sound this way.. (albeit negatively imo)

HD 650's and Grados have the same soundsig when both are recabled with Blue Dragon. (HD 650's pulls it off infinitely better.) While Blue dragon does sound "better" than stock Sr60i cable, "better" is only quantified by a more pure "studio analytical sound" aspect. Not musical, which is what Grado craves. It killed my Grados. (since I already have recabled hd650's) Sad story. I  know I coudn't believe my ears. HD 650's and Grados sounding the same? Yes, with the same cable they do.

Perhaps I'll resolder stock... Or buy 225i cable. Or buy 80's or 225i's.... I need that cable in my woodies. Not the same soundng headphone over again twice.

p.s. I miss my Grados.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,388 of 3,353
I've recabled the Sr60's with Blue Dragon...

-I regret it.

Now my HD 650's with blue dragon sound the same as Grado's with the Blue Dragon. HUGE letdown. However, this does open new theories as to how effective headphone cables really are. I can't believe the cable transformed the headphone sound this way.. (albeit negatively imo)

HD 650's and Grados have the same soundsig when both are recabled with Blue Dragon. (HD 650's pulls it off infinitely better.) While Blue dragon does sound "better" than stock Sr60i cable, "better" is only quantified by a more pure "studio analytical sound" aspect. Not musical, which is what Grado craves. It killed my Grados. (since I already have recabled hd650's) Sad story. I  know I coudn't believe my ears. HD 650's and Grados sounding the same? Yes, with the same cable they do.

Perhaps I'll resolder stock... Or buy 225i cable. Or buy 80's or 225i's.... I need that cable in my woodies. Not the same soundng headphone over again twice.

p.s. I miss my Grados.

Yay for stock cables :)! I find the stock 225i cables more than satisfying enough in terms of detail and clarity. Hopefully you find your particular flavor of cable soon :)

And uh, sorry to hear your Grados now sound like Sennheisers...I was never a fan of Sennheiser sound. I went all the way up to the 650's myself and found them all particularly veiled, with the 600 taking the cake in the darkness category. I love musicality. I know it's a term that gets tossed around liberally lately...but I find the Grado experience visceral. Bringing enough detail with exceptional emotion. Headphones designed by a music lover, not an audio engineer (not to say that those can't be one in the same, but they often aren't). My two cents :wink:

Kojaku

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,389 of 3,353
This is curious. I got a few minutes listening to an HD600 Saturday. Then on the same rig I listened to my 60's and a pair of RS1i's. In NO scenario can I imagine the Grados (any of them) sounding anything like the veiled* analyticalness that is the Sennheiser house sound.

* For years I had heard about the Sennheiser veil. I still had always wanted to hear them. Within five seconds of putting on the HD600's, I knew exactly what people were describing. Wasn't my cup of tea, however I would need to experiment with them much more I think. The HD800's were much better though.....

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #1,390 of 3,353
This is curious. I got a few minutes listening to an HD600 Saturday. Then on the same rig I listened to my 60's and a pair of RS1i's. In NO scenario can I imagine the Grados (any of them) sounding anything like the veiled* analyticalness that is the Sennheiser house sound.

* For years I had heard about the Sennheiser veil. I still had always wanted to hear them. Within five seconds of putting on the HD600's, I knew exactly what people were describing. Wasn't my cup of tea, however I would need to experiment with them much more I think. The HD800's were much better though.....

Yeah, well that's an extra $1400-ish of de-veiling you're hearing so it **** well better be unveiled xD but seriously, the situation with the blue dragon sounds so sad...xS

Kojaku

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #1,391 of 3,353

Quote:

Yeah, I can't believe the cable made your grados sound like hd650s... seems like a real stretch. I'd have to hear it to believe it. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,392 of 3,353

Quote:
Yeah, well that's an extra $1400-ish of de-veiling you're hearing so it **** well better be unveiled xD but seriously, the situation with the blue dragon sounds so sad...xS

Actually it was HD800s through a Apex Pinnacle. Closer to $12k.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #1,393 of 3,353
This thread needs ALLOT more pictures. I have already posted all my stuff more than once...

Come on guys! Post em'

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,394 of 3,353
Hey guys. Been reading through this thread the last couple of days, mostly scoping out pictures and reading posts around them.  Got to about page 70 before I cracked and had to come post! 

Anyways, after some futile attempts at making some wooden cups with hole saws and a hand held drill, my dad told me I can use a lathe at his work (Taylor guitars).  I think we know more or less what we are going to do, but if anyone can point me to any useful info on lathing wooden cups for the SR60 that would be awesome.  I'm planning on just making some simple cups out of koa (that's what we have to spare in the house) but I'm going to keep the drivers in the plastic for simplicity's sake. This is my first mod to my headphones besides pulling out the white speaker cloth, hehe.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back