I'm gonna get Cabillas to make me wood pads. Thats right:

Wood.

Pads.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #1,368 of 3,353

Quote:
I'm gonna get Cabillas to make me wood pads. Thats right:

Wood.

Pads.

Who's going to remove all the slivers from your ears?  I know I won't be volunteering for that job.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #1,369 of 3,353

Quote:
If someone comes up with a way to sock mod the 414s I'll be all over it.  They could use something to cover up the yellow.  
biggrin.gif

You don't  have to suffer with the Yellow Sennheiser pads.  Buy some fabric dye and turn them into black pads.  R.I.T. is usually a common brand of fabric dye that can be easiy achieved and purchased.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #1,370 of 3,353

Quote:
If someone comes up with a way to sock mod the 414s I'll be all over it.  They could use something to cover up the yellow.  
biggrin.gif

If you or anyone else need advice for the dying of 414 pads, just let me know. Before I did it, I read tons of threads about them turning out greenish or grey instead of black or of color bleeding out. I did mine 6 months ago and they are as black as Grado comfies with no color bleed. It must have been the voodoo mix of ingredients I used along with my process. Its really not that difficult.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #1,371 of 3,353

Quote:
Got a pair on the way.. and my bloodwood cups! Not sure if the 225i is going to need them.. kind of silly ordering a pad to increase the bass when I'm not sure if I'll need it or not. But, at least I'll know what flats are all about.. I think I'll be looking to pass them on to someone else most likely though, unless my woodie 225i's need the bass.. Now, I just need to demo a pair of Jumbos.. who wants to send me a pair? Actually, I might be willing to trade the flats for jumbos if someone would be willing.. That is assuming I don't care for the flats.. I could think they are amazing and wanna hold onto them. 

Dibs! 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #1,373 of 3,353
Ok so I've done the sock mod, but I can't help but notice that the socks aren't on there very tight. Any way to remedy this? Did I do something wrong?

Also. ZOMG!! The BASS! Haha great mod Kojaku. Truly phenomenal stuff.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #1,374 of 3,353
Ok so I've done the sock mod, but I can't help but notice that the socks aren't on there very tight. Any way to remedy this? Did I do something wrong?

Also. ZOMG!! The BASS! Haha great mod Kojaku. Truly phenomenal stuff.

Roll tightly sir :)

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,375 of 3,353

Quote:
Roll tightly sir
smily_headphones1.gif

That does make sense. The tighter it is, the harder it will be to get around the pads, but also the harder it will be for them to fall off. Thanks.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,376 of 3,353
Listening to the MS Pros with the flats... This bass is ridiculous. Listening to some Bone Thugs. It's pretty fun, all this bass. Not sure I'd use the flats often, not with these headphones, they really *need* bowls, maybe even jumbos for the ms pros. 

Bout to try the flats on my stock 225i's I think it will do good things for the 225i, not sure if they will need it once they are in wood though, shall find out soon. If not, I might have to pass these flats right along. 

-EDIT- Wow, I'm impressed at how much bass the flats pulled out of the 225i's.. Very impressed. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,377 of 3,353

Quote:
Listening to the MS Pros with the flats... This bass is ridiculous. Listening to some Bone Thugs. It's pretty fun, all this bass. Not sure I'd use the flats often, not with these headphones, they really *need* bowls, maybe even jumbos for the ms pros. 

Bout to try the flats on my stock 225i's I think it will do good things for the 225i, not sure if they will need it once they are in wood though, shall find out soon. If not, I might have to pass these flats right along. 

Is it more bass impact/tightness or is it low bass response? 

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,378 of 3,353
What's the opinion of quarter modding the HD414 pads the gluing bowls onto them with the electric tape around it..?

Has anyone tried it yet? Opinions..?

Uh...yeah, this sounds like a bad idea on a few fronts. The previously mentioned elongation, the possible leakage between the pads (also of different densities), not to mention that this throws the comfort of the hd414's entirely out the window. Just seems like an overall bad idea xS

Just got mine yesterday, i'm in love with them. I can't even picture myself cutting and opening and everything. Well, at least for now.

Looks like I'll be posting my step by step opening, liberating, soldering, and replacing tutorial sooner rather than later. Maybe by this Sunday, because the demand is rising. I think I saw like 3 people get Cabillas cups in this week. So I'm sure people will be needing the help :)

Kojaku

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,379 of 3,353

Quote:
Is it more bass impact/tightness or is it low bass response? 

both. Grados are always tight.. I've yet to hear a grado that wasn't really punchy on the low end... With the flats, there is a lot more bass response overall including the very lowest end and mid bass... To the point where they sound slightly muddy compared to bowls, but this is what I expected.. I didn't really expect to keep these pads, but try them out and probably pass them along because I feel like most grados have plenty of bass as they are.. I'm even pretty fond of the 225i's. I don't foresee using the flats too much, as of right now, but I'm going to give them a good chance. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #1,380 of 3,353
both. Grados are always tight.. I've yet to hear a grado that wasn't really punchy on the low end... With the flats, there is a lot more bass response overall including the very lowest end and mid bass... To the point where they sound slightly muddy compared to bowls, but this is what I expected.. I didn't really expect to keep these pads, but try them out and probably pass them along because I feel like most grados have plenty of bass as they are.. I'm even pretty fond of the 225i's. I don't foresee using the flats too much, as of right now, but I'm going to give them a good chance. 

This what I heard with trimmed bowls (without socks) as well. A quantifiable increase in lower end and mid bass, yet slightly muddy. Not as much room for the tightness to be established (thus detracting a bit from bass clarity). Not enough "kick-space", as I called it in my tutorial. This is why I didn't use the trimmed bowls alone (sans-socks). I wasn't willing to sacrifice even a bit of tightness :wink:

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back