SR60-Mod part II
Oct 10, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #2,402 of 3,353

Quote:

Yes, I make my own shells. So I can customize them freely. 

How many woodied Grados are you at with this new pair? 10?
biggrin.gif

Great looking pieces of wood, as usual. I'm getting some olivewood now. I think. Yours looks gorgeous.

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2,404 of 3,353

Quote:
How many woodied Grados are you at with this new pair? 10?
biggrin.gif

Great looking pieces of wood, as usual. I'm getting some olivewood now. I think. Yours looks gorgeous.

I have made a little more than a dozen woodies so far, some of them have found new owners in the family. They make nice presents for music loving people who would otherwise simply use Ipod buds or similar.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,405 of 3,353

Quote:

I have made a little more than a dozen woodies so far, some of them have found new owners in the family. They make nice presents for music loving people who would otherwise simply use Ipod buds or similar. 

Those people are pretty lucky! Loving the cups man

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,406 of 3,353
it has being like 1 month since I sat down and actually listened music in a pair of grados, I even modded one but only used it like 20 minutes. am I cured?

Gilmore lite > AKG K601 is to be responsible. sublime.

Behold brothers I have been cured!!!

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #2,407 of 3,353
Bold statement to make on this thread McProgger!!! The nerve :)
I'm shure they must be great sounding cans. You have to respect a pair of cans that's lived this long to still be building legions of followers. Enjoy them for a while... then the Grado influence will return, inevitably.

Just a little update from a while ago. I bought a pair of damaged SR80s because I needed the headband and bought a bunch of gear to start playing with the soldering iron. After a few training attempts, I used the dart on the drivers :wink:
No use as the previous owner must've killed the left driver. Just because I desoldered and resoldered the right driver until I was bored and it still breads music! This is quite a personal accomplishment as I'm not very DIY inclined, but the fact is that opening and closing a shell under these circumstances made my day. Ha!

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2,408 of 3,353

Quote:
it has being like 1 month since I sat down and actually listened music in a pair of grados, I even modded one but only used it like 20 minutes. am I cured?

Gilmore lite > AKG K601 is to be responsible. sublime.

Behold brothers I have been cured!!!

As somebody who's owned that setup before, you're definitely on to something.

The K601, HD600, and DT880 are my goto Grado replacements, there are better deals these days than a Gilmore Lite brand new, but if you've owned that thing for a long time it's more than paid itself off over the years!

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2,409 of 3,353

Quote:
Bold statement to make on this thread McProgger!!! The nerve :)
I'm shure they must be great sounding cans. You have to respect a pair of cans that's lived this long to still be building legions of followers. Enjoy them for a while... then the Grado influence will return, inevitably.

Just a little update from a while ago. I bought a pair of damaged SR80s because I needed the headband and bought a bunch of gear to start playing with the soldering iron. After a few training attempts, I used the dart on the drivers :wink:
No use as the previous owner must've killed the left driver. Just because I desoldered and resoldered the right driver until I was bored and it still breads music! This is quite a personal accomplishment as I'm not very DIY inclined, but the fact is that opening and closing a shell under these circumstances made my day. Ha!

lol!
and well done! next thing is try in a live grado, and then sleeves and fancy cables and plugs.. is addictive and rewarding!

Quote:
As somebody who's owned that setup before, you're definitely on to something.

The K601, HD600, and DT880 are my goto Grado replacements, there are better deals these days than a Gilmore Lite brand new, but if you've owned that thing for a long time it's more than paid itself off over the years!

I got the GL in the forums for $160 if I remember correctly, 2 months ago and I love it! havent heard the K601 like this never before.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,410 of 3,353

Quote:
lol!
and well done! next thing is try in a live grado, and then sleeves and fancy cables and plugs.. is addictive and rewarding!

I got the GL in the forums for $160 if I remember correctly, 2 months ago and I love it! havent heard the K601 like this never before.

Oh for $160, you win good sir.

I didn't like the K601 back when I was a kid, but it was cuz I was running it out of a portable amp. Most people have no idea how good a desktop amp sounds when youre used to 150-200 dollar portables haha...

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #2,411 of 3,353
Oh for $160, you win good sir.

I didn't like the K601 back when I was a kid, but it was cuz I was running it out of a portable amp. Most people have no idea how good a desktop amp sounds when youre used to 150-200 dollar portables haha...

That is a great price. If I'd seen it I'd have taken it. I had the GL+DPS and absolutely loved it. I'd like to have just the amp for a good price and use it with my Grado and Shure.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #2,412 of 3,353

Quote:
That is a great price. If I'd seen it I'd have taken it. I had the GL+DPS and absolutely loved it. I'd like to have just the amp for a good price and use it with my Grado and Shure.

Theres no need to buy that if you've got an X-Can V1! I love the dang things... true vintage head-fiers gear... back in the golden days when it was RS-1, DT880, HD650, and K701!

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/Neilxcan2.htm

Add another 50-75 dollars and you'll have a superstar amp :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #2,413 of 3,353
If anyone has a spare SR80 driver looking for some lovin' shoot me a PM :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #2,414 of 3,353

Quote:
If anyone has a spare SR80 driver looking for some lovin' shoot me a PM :)

If you have the original headphone they were strapped into, you can just vaguely slap it back together and send it in for a "repair" and I think you'll get the solution you're looking for :)

I think SR-80's are like 25 bucks to fix whatever you need fixed, including both drivers at the same time... 

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #2,415 of 3,353
Just did the quarter foam mod and punched two holes in each driver on my SR80i and reaping the benefits.  May go one or two more holes in each driver, but not doing all of them.

I think I'm going to do the anti-resonance felt mod next.  Hoping to do a set of homemade wood cups down the line.  Is there a particular tone wood people go for, or is it mostly asthetics that they base their wood preference on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back