SR60-Mod part II
Sep 21, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #2,176 of 3,353

Quote:
I don't know.. I think Dynamat solved the sibilance issue that seems so prevalent in the Grado sound signature.

Anyhoooooo.. My headphones are done =D

Will post pics here by the end of the day. Can't be bothered to take them off my head now..

I guess there's no need to tells us how good they sound
smile.gif

And yes... we need pics.

As for the Dynamat, I think it has an effect in sound as I test it on any headphone that I can put my paws in. The effect is not always very noticeable, but I hear a damping effect on the driver. Also the amount of Dynamat (I use the Xtreme) is important because you can add too much - it's the easier way to assess it's effects.

I find Dynamat to, tipically, diminish a bit of the ringing effect that sometimes the driver brings to the table: bass can get tighter (and also less noticeable). On the mids there seems to be less of an effect applied to Dynamat, sometimes a bit more instrumental separation, sometimes. I hear no effect on treble.

Now, since Grados are not your usual bass can it's possible that it's effects are not heard or found relevant so it's easy to dismiss. As I have 6 holes on my MS1 I do have bass, and Dynamat helps getting a grip on things.
Apply Dynamat on bass heavy cans and I think it's very hard to ignore the bass damping effect like on Ultrasones in general or D2000.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #2,177 of 3,353
Good to see so much activity in this thread still. Sadly my Grados haven't gotten much head time lately. I am very happy with where my Fostexes are currently. In the past few weeks I have added a DAC and now a Cavalli CTH into my food chain and things have improved tremendously. I need some more time with my Grados with the new amp, but I think my next step will eventually be a pair of Magnums to really up the ante.

Its nice to see so many nice woodied Grados now. It makes me sad though because they all look so much better than mine. 
basshead.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #2,180 of 3,353
Keat,

Your Grados look AMAZING!!!!   Beautiful !!!!  Oh, so nice !!  Thanks for sharing.

I have some saddle style faux leather similar to  yours that I need to do something with in regards to a head band.  All of the needles and thread that I received with my recent leather machine from the previous owner were way too large.  I did place my order yesterday for more more realistic sized needles along with some camel / sand colored thread as well as some black thread.  Each spool of thread is 1 Lb. worth.  That should last me for a few weeks.
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2,183 of 3,353
I saw some leather that they were trying to identify on one of the other hobby forums I hang out in.  It turns out that it is actually shark skin.

Pretty cool stuff.

Ugh!  I can't attach a picture even though I resize it.
mad.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #2,184 of 3,353
Ooooo... I don't think shark skin would be difficult to find though, considering the amount of sharks fin soup that gets sold in this region.

From what I've seen at the shop, they've got various grades of cow hide, horse hide, python skin, python belly, sting ray skin, lamb skin.

For those interested, check out their site: http://www.obbigoodlabel.com/

If there's enough of you interested then I'll bother to make the trip down with the stock vinyl headband for them to figure out, saves you guys the trouble of sending one over.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #2,185 of 3,353
Quote:
Wow Saintkeat they look amazing!

My headband arrived today, all fitted and it looks / feels great; thanks jinteddy7 

welcome =) glad you liked it =)
Quote:
Ooooo... I don't think shark skin would be difficult to find though, considering the amount of sharks fin soup that gets sold in this region.

From what I've seen at the shop, they've got various grades of cow hide, horse hide, python skin, python belly, sting ray skin, lamb skin.

For those interested, check out their site: http://www.obbigoodlabel.com/

If there's enough of you interested then I'll bother to make the trip down with the stock vinyl headband for them to figure out, saves you guys the trouble of sending one over.

wow ... sting ray skin, i loveeee sting ray skin  ... those should be fit for the ps1000's =)

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #2,187 of 3,353
I'm shamelessly showing these puppies off, even though I don't have them in hand just yet. I think they look stunning. What do you guys think? Marty never fails to deliver an awesome product! Comes with my highest recommendations.

http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/2011/09/cocobolo-magnums-with-xlrs-part-deux.html

Edit: are we allowed to link to MOT sites? I was under the impression that we were as long as we personally aren't an MOT. But, if I'm disobeying the powers that be by posting that link I'll take it down no problem. I'd hate to be the cause for yet another thread lock.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,189 of 3,353
That blog post...first confirmation that magnums pair well with wooden cups?  Interesting.

Quote:
I'm shamelessly showing these puppies off, even though I don't have them in hand just yet. I think they look stunning. What do you guys think? Marty never fails to deliver an awesome product! Comes with my highest recommendations.

http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/2011/09/cocobolo-magnums-with-xlrs-part-deux.html

Edit: are we allowed to link to MOT sites? I was under the impression that we were as long as we personally aren't an MOT. But, if I'm disobeying the powers that be by posting that link I'll take it down no problem. I'd hate to be the cause for yet another thread lock.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2,190 of 3,353

Quote:

yup we are allowed as long as we are not affiliated with the mot himself ... =) so if you are just a former buyer then no problem ... link away =) hope im right though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back