SR60-Mod part II
Sep 22, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #2,193 of 3,353
looks like marty has been busy lately 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #2,194 of 3,353

Quote:
I'm shamelessly showing these puppies off, even though I don't have them in hand just yet. I think they look stunning. What do you guys think? Marty never fails to deliver an awesome product! Comes with my highest recommendations.

http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/2011/09/cocobolo-magnums-with-xlrs-part-deux.html

Edit: are we allowed to link to MOT sites? I was under the impression that we were as long as we personally aren't an MOT. But, if I'm disobeying the powers that be by posting that link I'll take it down no problem. I'd hate to be the cause for yet another thread lock.

HOLY..

[size=xx-small]Wow 8-conductor braid?! Sir as an MOT who specializes in only doing that, I have to say that Marty is a gentleman and a scholar when it comes to sound snakes (cables).[/size]

I've yet to hear what magnum drivers sound/look like, I wish he got pics of them before he strapped 'em in there....

So basically Marty built you your own grail headphone from the ground up?! Thats really amazing stuff, wouldn't be possible without Symphones either..

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #2,195 of 3,353
I hear Marty has loads of pics to upload in the next couple of weeks.
A couple of them could be on their home to me as my #001 need some company
redface.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2,198 of 3,353
Quote:

Quote:

Hey i was looking through the old posts, just wondering where you guys got the bases for these stands from ikea? Thanks lots .... my grados are getting a bit unruly on my desk and don't want cabillas's wood cups to scratch.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #2,199 of 3,353
I have been modding for about half a year now and I have tried most of the mods suggested here. Maybe or most probably some people may disagree, but as for me, there is one thing I can say: it is the drivers that are most important and that make the big difference. The wood, hole punching, Dynamat, etc. may improve/change the sound, but that will not turn the cans into real beasts. It is very much like when people put an inferior engine into a top class Ferrari body and try some sophisticated tweaks to turn it into one. What you need is a top engine as well.
Now, as Grado does not sell drivers separately and top Grados are insanely expensive in Europe, I decided to go for Magnums.
At the moment I am waiting for a set of V3.5 drivers and aluminum air chambers to use in my projects. I am planning to test them in full wood , wood-lined aluminum and full aluminum setups. I hope this will give my cans the boost I have been longing to achieve by trying out the above mentioned mods.
Grado expects us in Europe to pay about as much for one 325i as for 2sets of Magnum drivers with Magnum air chambers!!  From what you hear on other threads, the Magnums do not have to fear any comparison even with the Grado beasts. Rhydon is already working on V4 drivers with further improvements like the use of acoustic lenses to further improve the performance.
Anyway, I am soon going to find out myself. If they live up to my expectations, which I believe they will, I am done with Grado, due to their lack of customer service and - to me - unacceptable sales policy for the European market. I once suffered a broken plastic gimbal. Then I was asked to send in the cans. From Austria to the USA. Insane.
I think, if they sold parts separately, they could very well take profit from what customers find out, like we do in this forum. They could take the 'fans' of their producs seriously and show them that they care for them, their enthusiasm and their loyalty. That would show they are willing to learn from them too. I would call this respect.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2,200 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey i was looking through the old posts, just wondering where you guys got the bases for these stands from ikea? Thanks lots .... my grados are getting a bit unruly on my desk and don't want cabillas's wood cups to scratch.

I got mine from a local crafts store called Michael's. I'm not sure if there are Michael's in Malaysia, but I think any crafts store should have it. They are wooden plaques used for trophies or whatnot. Mine was a cheap pine wood one that cost about $2 (6 RM?). There are some on Amazon as well, but not quite as cheap -- though I think the wood quality of those are much better than mine. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #2,201 of 3,353
Thanks Progger and Kneejung!

I've had a listen to the LCD-2 and my pair really does blow it out of the water right now lol.

Its at the point I firmly believe if there's any tiny discrepancies in the sound, I'm absolutely certain its the recording.

I remembered posting impressions of them balanced out of my toucan PB1 amp without cups, and I did say they made little difference. I'd like to retract that statement now that the cups are on. Its pretty damn phenomenal.

I'll be meeting another Head-Fi member tmr and I'll see if he's keen to post his impressions of them here.

Sometimes the Kit car is better :wink:

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #2,202 of 3,353
Quote:
I got mine from a local crafts store called Michael's. I'm not sure if there are Michael's in Malaysia, but I think any crafts store should have it. They are wooden plaques used for trophies or whatnot. Mine was a cheap pine wood one that cost about $2 (6 RM?). There are some on Amazon as well, but not quite as cheap -- though I think the wood quality of those are much better than mine. 

Thanks .... they look great ... =)

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #2,203 of 3,353

Quote:
HOLY..

[size=xx-small]Wow 8-conductor braid?! Sir as an MOT who specializes in only doing that, I have to say that Marty is a gentleman and a scholar when it comes to sound snakes (cables).[/size]

I've yet to hear what magnum drivers sound/look like, I wish he got pics of them before he strapped 'em in there....

So basically Marty built you your own grail headphone from the ground up?! Thats really amazing stuff, wouldn't be possible without Symphones either..

Haha, I built that particular cable actually... I quite like the silver:) But that's not to discredit Marty's cable skills. He makes some pretty sweet cables too! Check out some of the other cables on his site, I think he did the other ones on there!

What pics do you want of the drivers? I've got V2 and V3.5 drivers right now, and I can post pics of either if you want. They look basically like a Grado driver though... A very carefully assembled Grado driver. Build quality is much better on the Symphones than the Grados.

And yes, Rhydon does some awesome work! Seems to always run slightly behind schedule, but always delivers in the end and the product is definitely worth it:)

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2,205 of 3,353

Quote:
All this talk about the Symphones got me interest, looked it up and saw the price and requirements O.O

Just how much improvement over the RS or the 325 we talking about here? Heck with the new PS 500 out, seems a little hard to justify the cost.

They sell the drivers for only 120 bucks..

You would either install them yourself or have Marty or somebody else who pimps Grados perform the swap, I think thats pretty much all the upgrade entails... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back