SR60-Mod part II
Sep 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #2,148 of 3,353

Quote:
I was just more wondering if i take the stock cups apart what glue do i use to put the stock ones back on?

Since Grado uses a variation of hot melt craft glue, you could just use a hot glue gun to apply some more hot glue and then press the cups back together.  If your current cups have an adequate amount of glue left on them, lightly heat them up with the hair dryer to soften the glue a bit, then press them together.  You should then be OK.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2,149 of 3,353
Sorry to butt in like this, just wanted to mention that you guys have made my SR80i lose all resale value. I've quarter-modded the pads, took the cups appart, felted, vented and just now I've ripped off the grills in a most hideous fashion (it's 3 AM..) but after each horrible maiming they sound better and better. Simply amazing. Is there any danger in going mesh-less for good, or do some of you guys stick to this style? I don't really care about looks right now.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2,150 of 3,353

Quote:
Sorry to butt in like this, just wanted to mention that you guys have made my SR80i lose all resale value. 

Um, did you read the terms of this site / forum when you signed up?  Yeah, that 8-page agreement - you know the one.  Well, in the fine print, the lawyers have carefully crafted a couple of statements that any loss of resale value due to headphone modification shall not be the fault of the site owners, nor any of the fellow members of the site.  Next time, please take the adequate time to read what you're signing up for before just checking the box and selecting the "OK" button.

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2,151 of 3,353
Dude.. I wanted to thank you! Screw resale value.. I'll paint them purple and call they my precious (though I think someone else already did this..).

Seriously though, they sound really good now. With the grills on, there quite was a bit of honk, now everything is much cleaner, spacious and orderly. So, slap some mesh on them or just leave it like it is?

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,152 of 3,353
Wayne, I think he meant to say that they sounded better with every modification he did but maybe while doing it so he might have made it impossible to revert back to original. It's all about the sound ZMD!  
L3000.gif

Quote:

Um, did you read the terms of this site / forum when you signed up?  Yeah, that 8-page agreement - you know the one.  Well, in the fine print, the lawyers have carefully crafted a couple of statements that any loss of resale value due to headphone modification shall not be the fault of the site owners, nor any of the fellow members of the site.  Next time, please take the adequate time to read what you're signing up for before just checking the box and selecting the "OK" button.

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,154 of 3,353
Grill or speaker cloth... let them keep their dignity 
redface.gif

Quote:
Dude.. I wanted to thank you! Screw resale value.. I'll paint them purple and call they my precious (though I think someone else already did this..).

Seriously though, they sound really good now. With the grills on, there quite was a bit of honk, now everything is much cleaner, spacious and orderly. So, slap some mesh on them or just leave it like it is?

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2,155 of 3,353

Quote:
Wayne, I think he meant to say that they sounded better with every modification he did but maybe while doing it so he might have made it impossible to revert back to original. It's all about the sound ZMD!  
L3000.gif

Yes, you are correct.  I was just having a bit of fun with a play on words.  Though, I didn't sleep a whole lot last evening.  I should get to bed for some rest tonight.  My daughter scraped the whole driver's side of our 1 year old Ford Edge against a mailbox last night.  Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant moment.  I had to bite my tongue a lot and my wife asked me to wait a day before yelling at her.  We need to get some estimates as it looks like someone took their keys and ran a line all along the side of the vehicle.  There are two golf-ball sized dings - one at the front where the injury started and one at the end, where the injury ended.  Arg!  (It is National Pirate Talk Day today, too.) 

A brief update on the headphone pad front.  I did pick up my machine on Saturday.  It's actually a "killer" machine - might be overkill for the headphone pads because this beast is capable of sewing horse accessories - bridals, parts of saddles, etc.  I only have the current thread that the lady gave me a small amount of that she had left.  It's the 207/210 size, which is quite big, or makes quite big stitches.  I think I'm going to find a place to order some # 138 thread and appropriately sized needles.  Even though I live in a large metro area, I still need to get this stuff via the Internet due to the fact that there are not any local stores that sell needles and thread capable of sewing anything more than light clothing.  However, with this machine, it can do stitch lengths up to 7mm, which is quite a long stitch.  I think I'll shorten things a bit, possibly a 5mm stitch.

I'm happy, happy, joy, joy with this machine!

More to follow as time permits.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,156 of 3,353
I feel your pain. My wife got rear ended couple weeks ago by a Ford F-250 driven by an idiot. She was second in line at a stop sign and he claim he never saw her and ram in to our car and hit so hard that my car hit the next car in front (Big Cadillac). My car, a 2011 VW Jetta Wagon TDI, as over $7000 in damage and the truck driver didn't have any papers on him and the cop never showed up claiming they were to busy that morning (first day of school day). We still do not know if the truck driver was insured???  Crazy world.

Quote:

Yes, you are correct.  I was just having a bit of fun with a play on words.  Though, I didn't sleep a whole lot last evening.  I should get to bed for some rest tonight.  My daughter scraped the whole driver's side of our 1 year old Ford Edge against a mailbox last night.  Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant moment.  I had to bite my tongue a lot and my wife asked me to wait a day before yelling at her.  We need to get some estimates as it looks like someone took their keys and ran a line all along the side of the vehicle.  There are two golf-ball sized dings - one at the front where the injury started and one at the end, where the injury ended.  Arg!  (It is National Pirate Talk Day today, too.) 

A brief update on the headphone pad front.  I did pick up my machine on Saturday.  It's actually a "killer" machine - might be overkill for the headphone pads because this beast is capable of sewing horse accessories - bridals, parts of saddles, etc.  I only have the current thread that the lady gave me a small amount of that she had left.  It's the 207/210 size, which is quite big, or makes quite big stitches.  I think I'm going to find a place to order some # 138 thread and appropriately sized needles.  Even though I live in a large metro area, I still need to get this stuff via the Internet due to the fact that there are not any local stores that sell needles and thread capable of sewing anything more than light clothing.  However, with this machine, it can do stitch lengths up to 7mm, which is quite a long stitch.  I think I'll shorten things a bit, possibly a 5mm stitch.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #2,157 of 3,353

Quote:

Lol take it easy on her, I've done much worse than that lol... except with my own car that I was paying off at the time!

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #2,158 of 3,353

Quote:

As troublesome as it surely is, the best part is that she's allright. I'm sure the car can be modded :)

I don't know how insurance works around your parts but our insurance covers almost everything except acts of god. It's pricey, but gives you peace of mind. In our case, the worst thing that ever happened was the front glass shattered by debris when on the road - a good deal for the insurer until now that's for sure.

As for the sewing machine it appears this thread should be presented with quite some really cool pics very soon. With your dedicated and meticulous spirit, the headbands will push the envelope :)

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,159 of 3,353
Hey All:

Will be picking up a pair or 225i's and was thinking about going the woodie & re-cable route.  After reading through these posts, it really does not seem like something I want to do myself.  What are my options for getting this done by somebody?  Who would you recommend?  Thanks!

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #2,160 of 3,353

Quote:
Hey All:

Will be picking up a pair or 225i's and was thinking about going the woodie & re-cable route.  After reading through these posts, it really does not seem like something I want to do myself.  What are my options for getting this done by somebody?  Who would you recommend?  Thanks!

Without a doubt Marty does both of them exceptionally well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back