SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #121 of 706
I'm not so sure that a medium level signal coming from a Class A amplifier stage would pose a big issue. It should in fact act as a buffer which is a good thing. The only issue would be voltage as you would have to be careful not to overdrive the gain stage in the second amp.

Someone else in this thread mentioned this some time back.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #122 of 706
Oh, The Auditor has a clearly labeled gain knob, you could just set it to 0db and the input level should equal the output level. The phonitor should have the same labeling i think.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #123 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, The Auditor has a clearly labeled gain knob, you could just set it to 0db and the input level should equal the output level. The phonitor should have the same labeling i think.

Yes it does but I do not think this equates to "unity gain" which is pass-through. My guess is that unity gain is around -19 on the dial but that will be easy to figure out with some experimentation.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #124 of 706
I think it does equate to unity power gain, it still goes through the circuitry, but the power of the signal remains unchanged. I've tested it out, at 0db, it's equally loud on the DA10 headphone jack and the auditor headphone jack.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #125 of 706
I guess we will find out soon enough..I ordered a custom cable today from TARA Labs that is 1/4" Neutrik to RCA using their RSC conductors. I should have it sometime next week.

I will try it out feeding the Sennheiser HE60/HEV70 rig first and report back the findings. It could either flop or be great!

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #126 of 706
Just stumbled across this computer program that does what the Phonitor does and more. It also lets you control the virtual positioning of the speakers the virtual room, the size of the virtual room, and the position of the listener in the virtual room.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pra...macosx-304385/

If I get brave and can get my wife to install it for me as the setup looks tricky and I am no computer expert, it would be fun to try.

Sorry to hijack but it seemed interesting for us crossfeed believers!

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #128 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just stumbled across this computer program that does what the Phonitor does and more. It also lets you control the virtual positioning of the speakers the virtual room, the size of the virtual room, and the position of the listener in the virtual room.

If I get brave and can get my wife to install it for me as the setup looks tricky and I am no computer expert, it would be fun to try.

Sorry to hijack but it seemed interesting for us crossfeed believers!

Link??

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #130 of 706
Looks like we'll finally have a good phonitor vs auditor comparison soon. We're having a Ann Arbor Mini-meet. Hopefully, there'll be a phonitor, an auditor and 2 HD800s there.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #131 of 706
Quote:

Looks like we'll finally have a good phonitor vs auditor comparison soon. We're having a Ann Arbor Mini-meet. Hopefully, there'll be a phonitor, an auditor and 2 HD800s there.
biggrin.gif

Wow! Alright! Will the HD800s have stock cables? I always wonder if "better" or enhanced cables will make a difference. Any chance of the PS1000 and ED8 being there, too? I'm very curious about the differences. Keep us posted on the date so we can log in to ask you guys questions if you happen to be on and posting from the site.

The longer I use the Phonitor, the more I like it. I've been spending a lot more time with the HF-2 plugged into it, and I'm really beginning to like it. The bass is crisp, dynamic, deep, and punchy. The soundstage seems small, but when you get past that, you realize how much fun the HF-2 is. It synergizes well with the Phonitor.

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #132 of 706
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I thought the comparison is done some time back with HD800, PS1000 and ED8.
confused_face(1).gif

Anyway, we're also having a meet in October.
beerchug.gif

Singapore Can Slam 2009! - SGHeadphones

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #133 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif

Yes, and the initial comparisons got my attention -- and maybe others' too. But I'd still like to hear from others as well as head-fiers like you who've had a chance to share initial impressions. Any changes in opinion after the longer trial? Seems at least one other person has the same set of 'phones as you.

Quote:

beerchug.gif

Can't wait to hear your reports, see your photos! Will the Phonitor/Auditor be playing a major role?

Just checked the site -- looks like a lot of folks showing up -- and you'll be demo-ing the Phonitor. The person who said he/she ought to pay double because he'll be eating a lot is funny. And what's this about "Girls!"?

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #134 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif

beerchug.gif

Oops, where is it? >.< I think I missed it.
frown.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #135 of 706
:X Maybe I should have waited a month before buying the auditor. SPL just released the 2control, $620, with crossfeed. >.<

The 2control does have relaxed specifications compared to the phonitor and the auditor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back