SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #136 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and the initial comparisons got my attention -- and maybe others' too. But I'd still like to hear from others as well as head-fiers like you who've had a chance to share initial impressions. Any changes in opinion after the longer trial? Seems at least one other person has the same set of 'phones as you.

Can't wait to hear your reports, see your photos! Will the Phonitor/Auditor be playing a major role?

Just checked the site -- looks like a lot of folks showing up -- and you'll be demo-ing the Phonitor. The person who said he/she ought to pay double because he'll be eating a lot is funny. And what's this about "Girls!"?

I believe there'll be plenty of impressions after the meet for the Phonitor. But I'm not sure whether the local distributor will be bring along the Auditor since most are more interested in Phonitor which completely sold out here. I think the Blue Hawaii for Stax will play the major role than SPL.

My impression is the same as usual. Is there another person that own all the three cans now? It'll be nice to know his thought about them.

I've a feeling that it'll turn out big this time. It a event that all of us have been waiting for and it finally happen.

Haha! I know who you're talking about. He's a BIG nice guy and a good friend that we've know through this hobby.

Don't tell me that Camjam don't have hot girls around to showcase the products?? Girls is a must to match our rigs. Like sport car with sexy babe. You've to attend to find out yourself.
atsmile.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #137 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:X Maybe I should have waited a month before buying the auditor. SPL just released the 2control, $620, with crossfeed. >.<

The 2control does have relaxed specifications compared to the phonitor and the auditor.

I thought you prefer your music without crossfeed. Your Auditor is good enough.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #140 of 706
Well this is REALLY interesting to me...I just got my Edition 8s (still waiting for my PS1000 and HD800 which are due any day now) and oddly enough they sound best to me with Corssfeed and Angle defeated but still with the Center maxed out. I wonder if this has something to do with the S-Logic system?

On a slightly off topic note, the Edition 8s have great imaging, detail, and a slamming bottom end with amazing extension. They kill my GS1000 in every way and challenge me HE60 in many ways. Based on ical's comments, I can't wait to try the HD800 and PS1000 as he states that these are even better. But so far, the Edition 8 comes the closest to the characteristics of my speaker rig (Focal Grande Utopia).

I also have my custom 1/4" to RCA cable and will get around to feeding my Stax 007 rig out of the Phonitor's headphone out to play with Crossfeed etc. This could be a complete waste of time but it certainly won't hurt to try.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #144 of 706
I just recently upgraded my IC between my Rega Saturn and the Phonitor from budget Audio Art cables to a Cardas Neutral Reference that improved dynamics and provided a warmer and more full body sound. Now I'm surprised how well the Phonitor drives my K340. It is one of the few SS amps that I've tried that make the K340 sound great. I've had the opinion that the K340 needs a tube amp to sound their best but the Phonitor has changed my opinion. This combination has excellent pinpoint imaging and a big soundstage. The midrange is warm and the bass is full. Female vocals are very nice. Absolutely no listening fatigue with this setup. I still like the Phonitor driving my HD800s but now the K340 sounds great too.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #145 of 706
I am interested in getting a Auditor. However, all my HP's are single-ended (unbalanced). From what I heard here, the benefit of balance only maintained if it is done all the way (DAC -> AMP -> HP). So I would appreciate your experience about using Auditor/Phonitor with SE HP (if anyone ever tried it).

1. If I have XLR (balanced) interconnect between DAC and AMP, but use XLR-to-unbalanced headphone connection, do I lost much of the sound quality such as clarity/details/soundstage/focus? How much degradation will I experience

2. If it is still good, where can I get good quality XLR-to-1/4" adaptor?

Eventually, I'll send out one of my HP for balanced connection, but I need sometime to figure out which.
biggrin.gif

Many thanks for your help!

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #146 of 706
The Phonitor is not a balanced amp. The headphone connection is the standard 1/4" plug input on the front panel of the amp. The amp inputs in the rear are XLR connectors. If your DAC/CD player only has SE (RCA) outputs, then you will need either an RCA female to XLR (male) adapter or an IC with RCA and XLR connections. I bought a Cardas adapter to use on my RCA interconnects and it works fine. The Phonitor is a great sounding amp. The Phonitor and the HD800 is a great combination. I really like the crossfeed controls, however you don't get that with the Auditor.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #147 of 706
Auditor is great sounding amp too. I use this adapter - Neutrik - Audio - Circular Adapters - NA2MPMF , got the idea from ical post - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/spl...ml#post5941172. I haven't noticed any sound degradation while using this adapter. I bought Meier Audio StageDAc (haven't received it yet though) to get nice crossfeed feature and hopefully great DAC as well. In the long run i will buy HD800/Beyer T1 or AKG's new top model and after that I will hopefully be done with this frickin wallet burnin hobby.
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #148 of 706
You are absolutely right. I must be changing minds on different amps and got so lost of my mind. Both SPL amps use SE 1/4" for HP. And I could use my DL III XLR output to feed it.

Thanks and bear with that dumb question.

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #149 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all.

Anyone have experience of the Phonitor with JH13 or other high end IEM's?

Regards

Sceptre

Hey, Sceptre. I haven't tried it with any IEMs, but I'm really curious to hear the answer to your question. Hopefully those with quality IEMs will try them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumbaa32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any update on the different sound signature between the Auditor and Phonitor? I know it is a bit out of subject but some one has any idea on how these amp sound compared to the Ballanced Little dot MK7 amp?

Hi, pumbaa32. We've had some postings that compared the two, but nothing really comprehensive. But I'm sure that will be coming as more and more head-fiers get into the SPL sound.

I've had my eye on the LD MK7 balanced amp and would like to know the answer to your question. The Phonitor/Auditor are SE amps, but my guess is that they stack up well against balanced amps, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up the D7000's this afternoon and listening right now with the Phonitor. I couldn't be happier, a very large step forward from the HD650's to me. The variations between CF, Sp Angle, and Center settings are also more pronounced through the D7000's than the HD 650's.

For me:

SN 83001xx
CF 2
Angle 40
Center -0.9

Welcome aboard, John_H88. I added you to the roster (see the OP).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Phonitor is not a balanced amp. The headphone connection is the standard 1/4" plug input on the front panel of the amp. The amp inputs in the rear are XLR connectors. If your DAC/CD player only has SE (RCA) outputs, then you will need either an RCA female to XLR (male) adapter or an IC with RCA and XLR connections. I bought a Cardas adapter to use on my RCA interconnects and it works fine. The Phonitor is a great sounding amp. The Phonitor and the HD800 is a great combination. I really like the crossfeed controls, however you don't get that with the Auditor.

SteveM324, welcome aboard! I added you to the roster, which has been moved to the OP. BTW, you have quite a collection of 'phones: from your sig: HD800, Edition 9,HD650, K340,Shure E500. Hope to see some reviews on how they synergize with the Phonitor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auditor is great sounding amp too. I use this adapter - Neutrik - Audio - Circular Adapters - NA2MPMF , got the idea from ical post - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/spl...ml#post5941172. I haven't noticed any sound degradation while using this adapter. I bought Meier Audio StageDAc (haven't received it yet though) to get nice crossfeed feature and hopefully great DAC as well. In the long run i will buy HD800/Beyer T1 or AKG's new top model and after that I will hopefully be done with this frickin wallet burnin hobby.
tongue.gif

Welcome aboard, argentum. Sorry about the wallet. Head-fi or a life? Most of us can't afford to have both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are absolutely right. I must be changing minds on different amps and got so lost of my mind. Both SPL amps use SE 1/4" for HP. And I could use my DL III XLR output to feed it.

Thanks and bear with that dumb question.

Hey, Dukja. Not a dumb question at all. The SPLs are oriented to studio work so they're strange for home audiophiles. BTW, how do you like the DL III? Is it stock?

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #150 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this is REALLY interesting to me...I just got my Edition 8s (still waiting for my PS1000 and HD800 which are due any day now) and oddly enough they sound best to me with Corssfeed and Angle defeated but still with the Center maxed out. I wonder if this has something to do with the S-Logic system?

On a slightly off topic note, the Edition 8s have great imaging, detail, and a slamming bottom end with amazing extension. They kill my GS1000 in every way and challenge me HE60 in many ways. Based on ical's comments, I can't wait to try the HD800 and PS1000 as he states that these are even better. But so far, the Edition 8 comes the closest to the characteristics of my speaker rig (Focal Grande Utopia).

I also have my custom 1/4" to RCA cable and will get around to feeding my Stax 007 rig out of the Phonitor's headphone out to play with Crossfeed etc. This could be a complete waste of time but it certainly won't hurt to try.

Hey, Dinan. Congrats on getting the Edition 8! Are the PS1000 and HD800 in the house yet? Man, I'm green with envy. It'll be at least another year or more before I'll be able to afford either the Ed8 or PS1K. In the meantime, I'd like to hear about your experiences with these cans and Phonitor. Ical's got many of us panting after this golden triangle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back