Speaker amps for headphones
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,271 of 3,871
Oh, sorry if I misread your post.
No worries, you were probably admiring the beautiful scenery around you in Vancouver and were distracted :wink: That is a beautiful part of the country. Wish I could afford to retire out that way, but likely cold and snowy Ontario will be my province for life.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #3,272 of 3,871
No worries, you were probably admiring the beautiful scenery around you in Vancouver and were distracted :wink: That is a beautiful part of the country. Wish I could afford to retire out that way, but likely cold and snowy Ontario will be my province for life.
Lol I'm barely affording to go back to school out here right now. The distance learning thing my send to cheaper pastures.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #3,273 of 3,871
Quinpu A-1.0X driving the HEDDphone:

IMG_20200824_191152267.jpgIMG_20200824_191219568.jpg

Here is the adapter cable "au naturale":

IMG_20200826_195142207[1].jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #3,277 of 3,871
I'm a dude with monoblock AHB2's driving his headphones, but I hopped on the train to crazytown years ago...

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #3,278 of 3,871
Has anyone tried the [original] Sophia Electric "Baby", 10WPC, Class A, push-pull?
. . . or something comparable?
Relax, it takes time...

The fact that it's a fairly small collection of us that run headphones off of speaker taps means that chances are slim to none on that.
Low powered tube amps like that may have some trouble with super high impedance headphones (100+). I can't remember the exact science why though, so I could be mistaken. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Chances are that it'll work well if your looking at a Baby 1, the Baby 2 doesn't seem too great though. If I were you, I would invest in one cheap set of headphones to test amps with.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #3,279 of 3,871
I'm a dude with monoblock AHB2's driving his headphones, but I hopped on the train to crazytown years ago...
I am thinking of buying the Pass amp camp amp kit just to run my headphones.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #3,281 of 3,871
It is so nice to see that there are always new members trying out speaker taps. I will never go back to a dedicated head amp as frankly there is just no need. I will always have speakers which means I will always have speaker terminals. I don't go hog wild, but I invest in competent gear so my amp will be a solid device which means that the headphones are going to be well driven. If the amp can drive speakers, and it is of a competent design, it is more than capable of driving headphones. Best move in headphones that I ever made as it allowed me to stop chasing amps which in turn made more funds available to try out more headphones.

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #3,282 of 3,871
Posted this pic in the susvara thread.. but here it is again! First time trying this speaker amp thing.

20200829_085634-01.jpeg

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #3,283 of 3,871
Posted this pic in the susvara thread.. but here it is again! First time trying this speaker amp thing.

20200829_085634-01.jpeg
Gorgeous gear, how do you like using the speaker tap? It must sound fantastic.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #3,284 of 3,871
Gorgeous gear, how do you like using the speaker tap? It must sound fantastic.

Thanks! Actually the matrix and gsx mini aren't in the chain. I'm using the Holo spring 2 dac and a Woo audio 22 as the pre, but they're outside the pic.

So far so good with the speaker taps. Initially I thought I preferred the sound directly out of the headphone amp, but I think I was mistaken; the susvara are fresh out of the box and took a short while before they opened up. The bass was sorely missing at first and I was a bit disheartened, but that has changed a lot after playing music through it the whole day.

I was mulling over purchasing a Woo audio 33.. But I'm having second thoughts now as speaker amps seem a favourable alternative. And some of the (relatively) high end speaker amps eg the Hegel 390/590 are cheaper than the wa33 (jps and elite edition).

Aug 29, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #3,285 of 3,871
Thanks! Actually the matrix and gsx mini aren't in the chain. I'm using the Holo spring 2 dac and a Woo audio 22 as the pre, but they're outside the pic.

So far so good with the speaker taps. Initially I thought I preferred the sound directly out of the headphone amp, but I think I was mistaken; the susvara are fresh out of the box and took a short while before they opened up. The bass was sorely missing at first and I was a bit disheartened, but that has changed a lot after playing music through it the whole day.

I was mulling over purchasing a Woo audio 33.. But I'm having second thoughts now as speaker amps seem a favourable alternative. And some of the (relatively) high end speaker amps eg the Hegel 390/590 are cheaper than the wa33 (jps and elite edition).
Nice choices for sure. Yes, not to be unkind, but by way of comparison spending on a really good speaker amp is just a much better, more flexible choice. Why would I sink thousands of dollars into an amp that can only drive headphones? Just doesn't make sense to me when you can just get a decent speaker tap cable made and have both a great speaker and headphone amp and you can do it for way less than the WA33 for example. Great choice and if you think about the science behind this there is no reason at all that a dedicated headamp should be better. If your speaker amp produces clean power with enough drive to sustain average and peak demands without clipping that is the recipe for great sound from an amp. Assuming that the amp is competently designed and doesn't introduce avoidable sound colouration introduced either by engineering mistakes, or deliberately to create a "signature sound".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back