SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Jun 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #286 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these compare to the PK3's?

I like them better than my PK3s AND my PK1s

If great bass, a huge soundstage and comfort appeal to you, give them a try

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #292 of 327
I have PL30's, PK2 and PK3. The PL30 is pretty good for $20. I don't think it would be very good for $50. If you need something cheap, it's decent. I don't think it's in the same league in terms of sound quality as the Yuins.

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #293 of 327
I had put these away for a bit to play with new and different interesting toys. When I came back to them, my opinion hasn't changed. Man O Man I didn't think IEMs were capable of such a soundstage.
I do alot of my listening at night, in the dark.
Twice I jumped up, knowing someone was in the room with me.
These things freak me out and thats why I LOVE them.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #294 of 327
I've just ordered them from mp4nation after reading a lot of good reviews about them. They ship a free FiiO E3 with it as well! Nice. I've ordered a E5 just a week ago, but oh well :wink: I hope they'll ship soon.

I currently own UE Metro-Fi 170, Sony EX-71, Grado SR-60. I guess they will beat the UE's and Sony's, right?

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #295 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just ordered them from mp4nation after reading a lot of good reviews about them. They ship a free FiiO E3 with it as well! Nice. I've ordered a E5 just a week ago, but oh well :wink: I hope they'll ship soon.

I currently own UE Metro-Fi 170, Sony EX-71, Grado SR-60. I guess they will beat the UE's and Sony's, right?

I've got a full arsenal of iems but these just do something special. They "image" like full size cans. Of course they are not and never will be full size cans but they are amazing. They have a new pro model now I'd like to check out.
PS: the Grado SR-60 is tough to beat for the money.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #296 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Comparing the Sony's in short: byebye big bass, hello better mids and highs.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #297 of 327
One would think using a twenty something dollar headphone with expensive equipment is a waste. I am here to say, throw the best you've got at the PL-30's. If you use them with cheap components they will sound cheap. If you use them with good equipment, it pays off in spades. I actually love the bass on these things. Its not what you would call a "warm" iem and they do not plumb the depths of subwooferland but the bass is accurate. Their strongest point though is the soundstage they throw with recordings that have that information on them.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #298 of 327
Wow lots of rave reviews for the PL30's. I'm kind of stuck deciding between the PL30's and MP21's (around same price). MP21 gives me a mic so I can it's a bit more convenient (can use with my iphone, use with Ventrilo, etc), but the PL30's would sound a little better it seems. Definitely different animals with the PL21's being more bassy and PL30's more refined.

What do you guys think? Any other comparisons between the PL30 and PL21? I've read a couple posts about the comparisons but want to hear a bit more feedback. Did you guys all order from places like focalprice and dealperfect? I'm currently using CX300's for portable stuff (possibly fake).

Also wanted to know if you guys used the Fiio E3/E5 with these. Did extra amplification improve SQ? I have an E5 coming soon so I'm curious to know that as well. Thanks in advance guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #299 of 327
NuForce has an iem similiar to the PL-30 in looks and has a mic. i have not heard it but is supposed to be nice. PL-30 is always crystal clear even with complex passages.E3/E5 is another big bang for the buck product IMO.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #300 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NuForce has an iem similiar to the PL-30 in looks and has a mic. i have not heard it but is supposed to be nice. PL-30 is always crystal clear even with complex passages.E3/E5 is another big bang for the buck product IMO.

Thanks Woody. How do you feel about the PL-21/MP-21? Would the E5 improve the sound or would an iPhone drive the PL-21/30 to their max potential already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back