Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 5, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #8,420 of 9,173

E-earphone has them too. About the same price. On the e-earphone webpage it says you can order with an Amazon (jp) account, so I considered trying that if I find myself wanting to hoard a spare set. My wife has an Amazon jp account and has whatever shipped to her parents.

edit: I just now realized that is actually e-earphone, selling on rakuten. No wonder the price looked similar lol. durrrrr.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #8,422 of 9,173
Jun 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #8,424 of 9,173
I recently bought the z7 with the Kimber cable (not my choice, it came free with the headphones). I wasn't initially impressed until I started listening to brass-heavy stuff, especially trumpet. I've never heard it sound so indescribably wonderful. Looking forward to setting aside some time for my favorite Louis Armstrong recordings.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #8,425 of 9,173
Owning these for about 2 days and listening to them almost continuously, i can't even begin to understand the flac these cans have been getting. They are (at least for me) perfect. True, bass is a bit overboard on *some* tracks (mainly EDM) but on everything else, they are flawless. Considering their current price, they should be the 1st choice of many people. If it matters for anything, the audio chain is desktop pc - mkdot iv - aune t1. All the tubes are stock. One hinge i have is that they seem to sound better when i play from the pc directly to the T1 dac. Somehow, the mkdot seems to alter the sound in a way i do not like. True, the on-board audio solution i'm using is quite decent (z270x Gaming 7 from GB, the one with OP-AMPs).

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #8,426 of 9,173
Owning these for about 2 days and listening to them almost continuously, i can't even begin to understand the flac these cans have been getting. They are (at least for me) perfect. True, bass is a bit overboard on *some* tracks (mainly EDM) but on everything else, they are flawless. Considering their current price, they should be the 1st choice of many people. If it matters for anything, the audio chain is desktop pc - mkdot iv - aune t1. All the tubes are stock. One hinge i have is that they seem to sound better when i play from the pc directly to the T1 dac. Somehow, the mkdot seems to alter the sound in a way i do not like. True, the on-board audio solution i'm using is quite decent (z270x Gaming 7 from GB, the one with OP-AMPs).
There is an old post from @jude stating that he likes them a lot and recommending to buy two Z7, because you want to have a backup pair.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #8,427 of 9,173
There is an old post from @jude stating that he likes them a lot and recommending to buy two Z7, because you want to have a backup pair.

I literally had the exact same discussion with my wife. I was thinking out loud, something like "Would it be worth to buy one pair of HD800 or 2 pairs of these and save some money for a week-end out?". The answer was obvious. My only problem is that i can't stand buying used headphones...well, used gear, in general. So i think i will order another pair of these (they're 450 dollars here, from an authorized seller).

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #8,428 of 9,173
I literally had the exact same discussion with my wife. I was thinking out loud, something like "Would it be worth to buy one pair of HD800 or 2 pairs of these and save some money for a week-end out?". The answer was obvious. My only problem is that i can't stand buying used headphones...well, used gear, in general. So i think i will order another pair of these (they're 450 dollars here, from an authorized seller).
In my case the backup unit is the Z1R, one he'll of a backup.....

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #8,429 of 9,173
Bought these sails instead of the Z1R. Love my Z7’s. Saving up for...

Attachments

• A593D0B7-7FD0-419A-B50F-7F30839A46E4.png
    A593D0B7-7FD0-419A-B50F-7F30839A46E4.png
    843 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back