Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #8,446 of 9,173
I broke my Z7's out after a period of not using them. I had been using my hd 650 for wanting to listen and relax. The Z7 has a wider soundstage than the hd 650, that is a closed vs open, pretty amazing, oh and the bass is better with the Z7. This is my favorite closed phone that I have, at the moment !

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8,447 of 9,173
I broke my Z7's out after a period of not using them. I had been using my hd 650 for wanting to listen and relax. The Z7 has a wider soundstage than the hd 650, that is a closed vs open, pretty amazing, oh and the bass is better with the Z7. This is my favorite closed phone that I have, at the moment !
and if you use high-quality recordings (be it 16 or 24-bit or DSD) they become the best phones

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #8,448 of 9,173
and if you use high-quality recordings (be it 16 or 24-bit or DSD) they become the best phones

0x2EUd9.jpg

and it uses dome-shaped washi made from Canadian conifers

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #8,450 of 9,173
And the first people reporting that they got the new open sounding closed back Seinnheiser HD820 in house. This compared to the Z1R will be interesting. The price is similar though.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #8,452 of 9,173
I was wrong about the whole ears touching drivers issue. It seems that my left ear was actually pushing onto the inside of the cup so it was just a false impression, thank you.
After a week of using them (a lot), i have some mixed feelings about these. FIrst of all, as another head-fier posted above, when paired with GOOD recordings (and no, if it's flac or dsd it doesn't necessarily mean it's a GOOD recording), they are unbelievable. I listened to A-Ha - Crying in the rain, straight from the CD (with an autograph, mind you) and it blew my mind. No bloated bass, no recessed highs or whatever else people complain about them. They are perfect. But when it comes to less than stellar recordings, things get messy.. i listen to a lot of EDM and have songs produced by people in their bedrooms (a lot of upcoming EDM producers start this way) which i've bought to support them but sadly, most of the times it's either a bass fest or a sparkle fest, with them.
I noticed that they don't over-do it on the bass front. If the songs calls for bass, they TRY to give exactly that much bass, not more, not less. Again, it all depends on the quality of the recording. I find them highly entertaining to listen to rock. While they lack the level of detail of, say, DT880 (and when i write detail i actually mean treble, be it sparkly or ear-piercing), they manage to create a mash-up of all the instruments that simply just flows through the ears.

I'm pretty sure this has been stated before but they really don't like tube DAC's. I've been using them through an Aune T1 and while they do gain some soundstage (i believe this is thanks to the tube, the stock EH), they also lose on the mid to high front. It makes them even easier to listen to but on more than half the songs, they really lack the details. Basically, an already bass happy headphone doesn't need a tube to warm it up even more. Will give it a listen through a tube amp, tomorrow, but i'm expecting the same results, basically.

I was on the fence of whether to return them or not (i still have 9 days left for the no-questions asked return and refund) but i'm slowly gliding towards keeping them. They're no champs, that's for sure. They don't do anything perfect or better than most but i THINK that the entirety of it's imperfections make these cans, well, perfect (for some, including me). Was thinking of giving the Beyer Amirons a try, after reading that Beyer has fixed their treble issue (how i wish this were true) but i'm so afraid to do so. My right ear has this treble (5-7khz and above) sensitivity, due to an older mishap and whenever i listen to headphones which exaggerate or have spikes in the 5-7khz and above area (like Beyer has), i'm actually in pain. So basically, besides the Z7, in this price range, i noticed there aren't that many choices. I've listened to the HD700 and i was...disappointed, to say the least (they're literally a money grab launch, in my opinion, from Senn). I've auditioned the LCD2C, which are quite a bit more expensive and while i do like the overall dark sound, i really hate having half a kilo on my head for 5-6 hours. This and some QC complaints i've been reading, regarding Audeze.

Either way, as a bottom (and final) line, these are worth keeping. Forgot to mention, they're really entertaining while watching movies. God damn it, i must of pissed my pants a dozen times while watching the LOTR trilogy or the entire Transformers franchise (bring on the explosions and FX!!).

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #8,453 of 9,173
I would not completely dismiss tubes. Tubes don't necessarily add bass. The Z7 sounds really good out of Lyr 3, hybrid tube amp. There is some magical synergy happening with the Z7's and Lyr 3 with KenRad vt231 tube.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #8,454 of 9,173
I would not completely dismiss tubes. Tubes don't necessarily add bass. The Z7 sounds really good out of Lyr 3, hybrid tube amp. There is some magical synergy happening with the Z7's and Lyr 3 with KenRad vt231 tube.
I haven't rolled that many tubes, truth be told. Besides the stock EH, i only have one '85 russian 6n23p which compacts everything, at the expense of soundstage. It makes everything more clear, defined but also the lower end is more noticeable. Sorry if my post made it seem like i totally dismissed tubes and Z7. By the way, what amp would be recommended for these? I've set my eyes on a couple of more Aunes (the X1s, X7, balanced X6), the good ol' Mojo and a few others which are probably in the same category as the X1s/X7.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #8,455 of 9,173
Either way, as a bottom (and final) line, these are worth keeping. Forgot to mention, they're really entertaining while watching movies. God damn it, i must of pissed my pants a dozen times while watching the LOTR trilogy or the entire Transformers franchise (bring on the explosions and FX!!).
If I felt the way you describe these, I would return them and move on. There are two many headphones out there that you may love , why try and deal with a headphone you are not in love with ?
PS I really like the Z7 , but you may not, get something you love !

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #8,457 of 9,173
I was wrong about the whole ears touching drivers issue. It seems that my left ear was actually pushing onto the inside of the cup so it was just a false impression, thank you.
After a week of using them (a lot), i have some mixed feelings about these. FIrst of all, as another head-fier posted above, when paired with GOOD recordings (and no, if it's flac or dsd it doesn't necessarily mean it's a GOOD recording), they are unbelievable. I listened to A-Ha - Crying in the rain, straight from the CD (with an autograph, mind you) and it blew my mind. No bloated bass, no recessed highs or whatever else people complain about them. They are perfect. But when it comes to less than stellar recordings, things get messy.. i listen to a lot of EDM and have songs produced by people in their bedrooms (a lot of upcoming EDM producers start this way) which i've bought to support them but sadly, most of the times it's either a bass fest or a sparkle fest, with them.
I noticed that they don't over-do it on the bass front. If the songs calls for bass, they TRY to give exactly that much bass, not more, not less. Again, it all depends on the quality of the recording. I find them highly entertaining to listen to rock. While they lack the level of detail of, say, DT880 (and when i write detail i actually mean treble, be it sparkly or ear-piercing), they manage to create a mash-up of all the instruments that simply just flows through the ears.

I'm pretty sure this has been stated before but they really don't like tube DAC's. I've been using them through an Aune T1 and while they do gain some soundstage (i believe this is thanks to the tube, the stock EH), they also lose on the mid to high front. It makes them even easier to listen to but on more than half the songs, they really lack the details. Basically, an already bass happy headphone doesn't need a tube to warm it up even more. Will give it a listen through a tube amp, tomorrow, but i'm expecting the same results, basically.

I was on the fence of whether to return them or not (i still have 9 days left for the no-questions asked return and refund) but i'm slowly gliding towards keeping them. They're no champs, that's for sure. They don't do anything perfect or better than most but i THINK that the entirety of it's imperfections make these cans, well, perfect (for some, including me). Was thinking of giving the Beyer Amirons a try, after reading that Beyer has fixed their treble issue (how i wish this were true) but i'm so afraid to do so. My right ear has this treble (5-7khz and above) sensitivity, due to an older mishap and whenever i listen to headphones which exaggerate or have spikes in the 5-7khz and above area (like Beyer has), i'm actually in pain. So basically, besides the Z7, in this price range, i noticed there aren't that many choices. I've listened to the HD700 and i was...disappointed, to say the least (they're literally a money grab launch, in my opinion, from Senn). I've auditioned the LCD2C, which are quite a bit more expensive and while i do like the overall dark sound, i really hate having half a kilo on my head for 5-6 hours. This and some QC complaints i've been reading, regarding Audeze.

Ever heard of garbage in garbage out? If the music is poorly mastered no can or speaker system but apple earbuds will help. The Z7 excel one one point above most other cans, one very important point, if the music is that good it can knock you off your feet and stuff you
deep into the sound and you develop a deep relationship to your music like never before. With most other cans you only listen but stay outside of the soundfield. I know only two cans that can do that. One is the Z7, the other is the Z1R.
P.S. if you want to try a Beyerdynamic take the DT 1990 not the Amiron.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #8,458 of 9,173
Ever heard of garbage in garbage out? If the music is poorly mastered no can or speaker system but apple earbuds will help. The Z7 excel one one point above most other cans, one very important point, if the music is that good it can knock you off your feet and stuff you
deep into the sound and you develop a deep relationship to your music like never before. With most other cans you only listen but stay outside of the soundfield. I know only two cans that can do that. One is the Z7, the other is the Z1R.
P.S. if you want to try a Beyerdynamic take the DT 1990 not the Amiron.

Any specific reason to try the 1990s over the Amiron? I’m highly sensible when it comes to treble and correct me if i’m wrong but shouldn’t the Amiron have a lower treble peak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back