Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 4, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #8,401 of 9,173
I can't imagine paying big dollars on a used machine.
The ZX300 may not have enough power.
I like the idea of balanced out for the Z7's, but I guess it won't matter for the Grado's.

Lots of reading to do.

Shane D

There isn't much point to buying the zx300 or WM1A unless you intend to use the balanced output. But to do that with the Z7, you're gonna need a cable. Something to consider.

But the Z7 will do fine with the zx300 if you do go that route. There are people here using the ZX300 with much more power hungry cans than the Z7. Yes, the WM1A makes a little more power. 250mW per channel on balanced vs. the zx300's 200mW (both at 16ohms). But consider that the Sony's stationary amp from the Signature series, the TA-ZH1ES, outputs 1200mW per channel, at 32 ohms, and that differential between the two DAPs isn't so much anymore. (And I think I've read here somewhere that the ZH1ES isn't even that powerful of an amp) So either of the Sony DAPs will drive the Z7 well, but neither will get that last squeezin'. Such is life. I like being able to move around the house so it isn't something I worry about.

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #8,402 of 9,173
Won't the included cable work with Sony players?

I don't need big power. My current amp can put out 4000mW, but I never come close to using that.

Shane D

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #8,403 of 9,173
Won't the included cable work with Sony players?

I don't need big power. My current amp can put out 4000mW, but I never come close to using that.

Shane D

The included single-ended (unbalanced, whatever you want to call it. Old school regular) cable will work of course, but the balanced cable included with the Z7 terminates in dual plugs on both ends. That works only with the Sony pha-3 portable amp, and of all things the Pono DAP. It does not work with the "Pentaconn" 4.4 jack on the WM1A and ZX300. The Z7 predates those DAPs and Sony's adoption of the 4.4 connection. You either need to 1) get a cable made for the Z7/Z1R with the 4.4 plug, 2) get an adapter for the existing cable, though I've never seen one, or 3) you could buy a Pentaconn 4.4 jack and mod the included balanced cable if you're a DIY person, but I personally wouldn't do that except just to make a backup.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #8,404 of 9,173
The included single-ended (unbalanced, whatever you want to call it. Old school regular) cable will work of course, but the balanced cable included with the Z7 terminates in dual plugs on both ends. That works only with the Sony pha-3 portable amp, and of all things the Pono DAP. It does not work with the "Pentaconn" 4.4 jack on the WM1A and ZX300. The Z7 predates those DAPs and Sony's adoption of the 4.4 connection. You either need to 1) get a cable made for the Z7/Z1R with the 4.4 plug, 2) get an adapter for the existing cable, though I've never seen one, or 3) you could buy a Pentaconn 4.4 jack and mod the included balanced cable if you're a DIY person, but I personally wouldn't do that except just to make a backup.

Thanks for the info. I was going to look at Sony for ease of integration, but I don't like the file management process with Sony.

If I have to get a new cable anyway, I will broaden my search. The Onkyo, Pioneer and Fiio look interesting...

Shane D

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #8,405 of 9,173
Thanks for the info. I was going to look at Sony for ease of integration, but I don't like the file management process with Sony.

If I have to get a new cable anyway, I will broaden my search. The Onkyo, Pioneer and Fiio look interesting...

Shane D

FWIW you don't have to use any management software with the ZX300 or WM1A. You can just drag/drop the files to the player. On the microsd card, you need to make a folder named, "MUSIC," and drop everything into that folder. Easy peasy.

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #8,406 of 9,173
FWIW you don't have to use any management software with the ZX300 or WM1A. You can just drag/drop the files to the player. On the microsd card, you need to make a folder named, "MUSIC," and drop everything into that folder. Easy peasy.

That does sound good. Do you know if it would be that easy if iTunes is your library?
Media go sucks.

Shane D

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #8,408 of 9,173
That does sound good. Do you know if it would be that easy if iTunes is your library?
Media go sucks.

Shane D

Can't help ya with that, sorry. I never used iTunes, ever. All my music files are FLAC or original CD's. I used to convert anything I wanted on my portable DAP (a 1st gen Zune) to 320kbps mp3, but thankfully that chapter is finally closing.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #8,409 of 9,173
If you are not going to go balanced, honestly don't bother looking at a high end dap. They all focus and do their best on balanced, their single end is just there because it needs to be. Only exception I can think of is LPG but that is a whole other tier money wise.
Couldn't agree more, enjoying my WM1A and MDR-Z7 with an MDR-Z1R 4.4mm cable

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #8,410 of 9,173
If you are not going to go balanced, honestly don't bother looking at a high end dap. They all focus and do their best on balanced, their single end is just there because it needs to be. Only exception I can think of is LPG but that is a whole other tier money wise.
The WM1A does have a very competent unbalanced output stage. It is completely discrete from the balanced one. This is one of the reasons why it is relatively thick plus the hoge battery.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #8,411 of 9,173
Media go sucks.

Shane D
Media Go does not suck, it works. Itunes files can easily be used on the Sony dap with drag and drop.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #8,412 of 9,173
Media Go does not suck, it works. Itunes files can easily be used on the Sony dap with drag and drop.

Media Go sucks in that it does not work properly. When I set up/adjust a playlist to play in a certain order, the program or the device says "screw that! I will display/play in whatever order I feel like."

Perhaps that is a player fault, but I doubt it. Computers just do what the software tells them to.

Shane D

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #8,413 of 9,173

I would probably buy a cable to use balanced for the Z7's.

Shane D

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #8,414 of 9,173
Media Go sucks in that it does not work properly. When I set up/adjust a playlist to play in a certain order, the program or the device says "screw that! I will display/play in whatever order I feel like."

Perhaps that is a player fault, but I doubt it. Computers just do what the software tells them to.

Shane D
That might be true. I don't use playlists at all. I only listen to complete albums.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #8,415 of 9,173
That might be true. I don't use playlists at all. I only listen to complete albums.

I rarely buy complete albums any more. I use playlist, artist, year and recently added. Occasionally I will make a playlist of a certain type of music.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back