Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #8,101 of 9,173
No, you are correct, and that is one of the major point of the modifications on Z7. Cables do bring improvements. It is futile to try and convince those inexperienced folks to believe in it, the same thing as USB cables. So I will just let those who have no experiences themselves slide...it is their losses.

Agreed! Although I am still hesitant regarding USB cables. Logic still tells me that as long as music is only 1's and 0's, the quality of the cable should not matter. But I guess that is an eternal discussion...

Btw, did you use silver cable inside the earcups too? Thanks.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #8,102 of 9,173
Agreed! Although I am still hesitant regarding USB cables. Logic still tells me that as long as music is only 1's and 0's, the quality of the cable should not matter. But I guess that is an eternal discussion...

Btw, did you use silver cable inside the earcups too? Thanks.

Yes, read the first post and see.

No, USB digital out music is not only 1 and 0 the ways your normal data work. It is more complicated than that, and you can read around some more. It is no fun for me to try and explain it as I am a horrible person to explain stuff.

Real quality USB cables bring about more improvements than your headphones cables, in my experiences of-course.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #8,103 of 9,173

No, USB digital out music is not only 1 and 0 the ways your normal data work. It is more complicated than that, and you can read around some more. It is no fun for me to try and explain it as I am a horrible person to explain stuff.

Real quality USB cables bring about more improvements than your headphones cables, in my experiences of-course.

I am not saying I don't believe you. Maybe I have to invest in a good cable and see. I now have an Audioquest Carbon, which is a mid market cable I guess. Any recommendations?

By the way, do you k ow what happened to the Z1R thread? It's locked since a few days. I need new Z1R ear pads and wanted to ask members if they have an idea where to buy, after some research on the net hasn't produced any results.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #8,104 of 9,173
I am not saying I don't believe you. Maybe I have to invest in a good cable and see. I now have an Audioquest Carbon, which is a mid market cable I guess. Any recommendations?

By the way, do you k ow what happened to the Z1R thread? It's locked since a few days. I need new Z1R ear pads and wanted to ask members, after some research on the net hasn't produced any results.

Audio quest is good for mid-tier and being affordable. Anything further will be many folds expensive

Z1R parts. You or someone need to sticker this or link into the first post somehow. The main thread was Locked because people kept on personal attacks since there are huge debates about the z1r performances

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...e-from-ifa-2016.818846/page-740#post-13570906

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #8,105 of 9,173
Audio quest is good for mid-tier and being affordable. Anything further will be many folds expensive

Z1R parts. You or someone need to sticker this or link into the first post somehow. The main thread was Locked because people kept on personal attacks since there are huge debates about the z1r performances

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...e-from-ifa-2016.818846/page-740#post-13570906

Yeah I figured it was something like that. Kind of sad, getting into fights about a hobby that is very subjective anyway.....

Thanks for pointing me towards you post about parts.

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #8,106 of 9,173
I have the @Whitigir custom handmade balanced silver cables on my Z7 that I am listening to through my pHA-3 right now...a great addition!

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #8,107 of 9,173

You might want to read in the Schiit happens thread about their new Eitr device that solves all USB related sound issues. Jason explains quite good what is going wrong woth sound via usb.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #8,108 of 9,173
You might want to read in the Schiit happens thread about their new Eitr device that solves all USB related sound issues. Jason explains quite good what is going wrong woth sound via usb.

Interesting :), in another word...USB digital signals are being sent as "analog signals" and SPDIF is pure digital 1 and 0. So much busted for USB cables is only digital eh ?

Also, this converter is more of an obstruction between the chain. If one DAC has properly implemented interface, then the converter would negatively affect the USB sound quality. I once tried IFI I-purifier...yeah....negatively affecting my sound quality. No more obstructions in my chains. I vote for Dedicated and audiophile quality USB cables all day long. But that is just me. You can also find more info regarding the other similar devices, the Singxer

The same as powercord and Power purifier....nope ! Once you have high-end system, it reveals a lot of things, while in lower-end tiers, these stuff will help as it take out the mess that your system is incapable of handling and appear to have cleaner sound performances....into higher-end system, it is a losses of details and fidelity.

My founding on these are :

Dedicated USB audiophiles cables, the real deal
Dedicated Powercord Audiophile grade, the real deal!
Regenerator, or just run a dedicated circuitry into your own Main panel!

Right now I have the first 2 done, which dramatically improve the quality I have. I am getting on with the last one :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #8,112 of 9,173
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
Got some z7's yesterday... The guy that sold them to me either didn't notice or didn't disclose that there is a spot on the left driver where a 3.5mm jack *presumably* pushed on the driver... How big of an issue is this? Any easy hacks to get it to pop back out? I can't hear anything weird, but I'm guessing a spot like this is terrible for audio quality.

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #8,113 of 9,173
Got some z7's yesterday... The guy that sold them to me either didn't notice or didn't disclose that there is a spot on the left driver where a 3.5mm jack *presumably* pushed on the driver... How big of an issue is this? Any easy hacks to get it to pop back out? I can't hear anything weird, but I'm guessing a spot like this is terrible for audio quality.

Thanks
Actually this isnot a big problem, I had a such a spot on the MDR-1A and it didnt change the sound. You can try going close with your lips and sucking it (no joke), there might be small little lines where the driver had this but they might go away when played enough also those lines do not change the sound either. Just try that and dont worry about sound most of the times this does not change anything.

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #8,114 of 9,173
So I have my pair of Z7 for about a 3 weeks now and I have to say they are a big step up from the MDR-1A but still with a close sound signature. I have one small problem with them, if I press the most top point of the outter left cup against my head I can sometimes hear a rattle when playing low frequencys. Does someone know how to fix that ? I never got it to happen without the left pad so Its probably something like a hear pushing against the driver but everything seems clean.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #8,115 of 9,173
Actually this isnot a big problem, I had a such a spot on the MDR-1A and it didnt change the sound. You can try going close with your lips and sucking it (no joke), there might be small little lines where the driver had this but they might go away when played enough also those lines do not change the sound either. Just try that and dont worry about sound most of the times this does not change anything.

Thanks for that... putting my mind at ease haha... I have about 100 hrs. on them now and they sound great. Sometimes certain lows (very rarely) cause the left one to make a rattle, but I can't be certain it's the indentation.. Overall I think you are right, it makes nearly none to no difference.

I have been using Z7's, a dragonfly, with my macbook and tidal for most of my music needs (while I decide on what piece of hardware I want next). My old iPhone 5s had trouble powering it, so I never used a DAC with my phone. But I recently upgraded to a Sony Xperia phone, and wow... It sounds SOO much better with the dragonfly than my macbook does... The macbook is really sharp with tidal and I'm always having spikes that hurt my ears. But with the Xperia, it is so much smoother.. Has anyone else had a good experience with their phones and the Z7? I hear people say that the "synergy" between sony products is what makes them shine, I wonder if this is that effect. Is it possible my Sony phone has better hardware than my 2012 macbook pro?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back