Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 20, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #7,683 of 9,173
For the extra 1800.00 :)

Yeah, if you look at it that way, A used Z7 and modifications will bring a lot more value to prices/performances ratio :D. However, everything has diminishing return, and once you turn over it, it cost a lot and lot more to do so. In the end, the Z1R is worth it :D

The only one in the market that is so musical with details , easy to drive, and isolation with high end performances

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #7,684 of 9,173
Yeah, if you look at it that way, A used Z7 and modifications will bring a lot more value to prices/performances ratio
biggrin.gif
. However, everything has diminishing return, and once you turn over it, it cost a lot and lot more to do so. In the end, the Z1R is worth it
biggrin.gif

The only one in the market that is so musical with details , easy to drive, and isolation with high end performances

I think I will stick with my Z7 for now.  Maybe some used/refurbs will be come available next year.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #7,687 of 9,173

I think I will stick with my Z7 for now.  Maybe some used/refurbs will be come available next year.

Interesting to see you own both the T1 and Z7. What do you think of the Z7 sound when compared to the T1? I'm interested in the T1 so it'd be nice to have some reference.

Here are my thoughts comparing the two.  The genres I used for the comparison included jazz, rock and classical.

The T1 is a more detailed, accurate and crisp headphone.  The highs really shine and the base is much tighter than the Z7.  Cymbals have a nice decay.  Due to the T1s being more open it has better stage presence.  This gives you the sensation that you are actually in the club listening to the jam session.  My only complaint with the T1s is that they sometimes come right to edge of being sibilant. They never cross over but they awfully close sometimes.  It takes energy to listen to the T1 which can make listening to them a bit tiring. 

I find the Z7 to be a more balanced between the highs/mids/bass. The T1s sometimes have a bit of a V quality to them.  Overall, I find the Z7 to be more musical and warm while the T1 is more accurate and detailed.  I also find that during the day when I have more energy I gravitate to the T1s and in the evening I almost always pull out the Z7s.

Hope this helps. 

Setup:
T1 - single ended
Z7 - balanced using Kimbel cables
PHA-3 DAC/Amp

A few of the albums used for the comparison:
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
My Favorite Things - Eric Alexander Quartet
Mozart Violin Concertos - Trondheim Solistene

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #7,688 of 9,173
Hello head-fiers! So, first of all, it has been a while (6 months) that I haven't visited nor read the forums. Second, I am also late to the party - the MDR Z7 party that is. And boy, I am loving this new Z7 headphone of mine, and I'm using this more frequently than my Hifiman HE 500. And I would never have imagined that I would be comfying up to a warm, closed, yet detailed headphone.

The irony of my story is that my initial impression of this headphone (when I auditioned it almost 2 years ago) was negative - I thought that this headphone was bloated, bassy, dark, distant. And boy, was I proven wrong! With a source like my ifi micro idsd and fiio x7 combo, the sound became more engaging, wider, and impactful. Which means that the Z7 really just needs a proper source.

The above only became possible because I just grabbed the opportunity to buy this at the Sony shop with 40%-off promotion (3 day sale here in Vietnam)! The purchase was accidental as I just told myself that I can just sell it later if I really don't like it. Now, being proven very wrong, I'll say that my new Z7 is a keeper.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #7,692 of 9,173

If your just a casual listener then keep the MDR-1A's and save your money. Buying the Z7's causes you to become obsessed with better sound. You'll be spending money you don't have on desktop and portable amps, cables and DAP's. You wife will start to get pissed from all the money your spending on your hobby and the time you spend listening to them. She will begin to feel neglected and your marriage will begin to suffer. Your bank account will also be constantly in the negative. So....just keep the 1A's and enjoy. :wink:
  I have the MDR-1As at the moment and love them, and am wondering if it might actually be worth it to climb the ladder within my return policy and get the Z7s. Anyone that's owned both have any impressions?

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #7,694 of 9,173
Better sound can come out from Z7, but for an even better sound then you have to step up to Z1R :D

Sorry to have to tell you, but finally you are starting to sound like a troll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back