Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 4, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #7,592 of 9,173
  I think the highs are just fine but I do think the bass is a bit bloated. I want a tighter, punchier bass.

That's an easy fix. Get some computer damping insulation, 10-15 bucks and slap it on your ear cups. This and a nice copper cable should be enough to satisfy 99% of ears.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794373/sony-mdr-z7-upgrades-and-mods-thread/45#post_12353600

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #7,593 of 9,173
i'm actually surprised that psp is able to drive z7! i hav tried copper and silver on z7 from sony stores itself, but i still prefer their stock wires instead. is there any other wire that i should try out? (i feel z7 bass still too light)

Balanced will give you more body. Not necessarily more bass though although it can be perceived to be bassier.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #7,594 of 9,173
  Too light? Too ligth like bass-shy? 

i'm using w50 earpiece for 2 years already.. i prefer those dark and heavy bass like w50, mayb a bit brighter will do actually? since i'm starting to get annoyed, a  bit too dark for mi now =x

Balanced will give you more body. Not necessarily more bass though although it can be perceived to be bassier.

thanks! i'll try to audition some hybrid wires instead

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #7,595 of 9,173
  i'm using w50 earpiece for 2 years already.. i prefer those dark and heavy bass like w50, mayb a bit brighter will do actually? since i'm starting to get annoyed, a  bit too dark for mi now =x

thanks! i'll try to audition some hybrid wires instead

No worries. Good luck!

I've actually owned the W50 for a good while, and the Z7 is definitely brighter and more energetic. The W50 was just too lazy and dark for me. It did have very good detail and instrument layering though.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #7,596 of 9,173
So I'm currently rocking out to some David Bowie (and some metal thrown in for good measure...) with my Z7 and they're just so much fun!

I haven't enjoyed a pair of headphones/iems since first getting the XBA-H1, which I know some people don't think they're really good but they are to me.
At first I was a little hesitant because of some opinions calling them "overly bassy" to the point of being muddy/unclear but to me they're very detailed with good and slamming bass when the music demands it.
Sure, these won't win a "Reference Headphone of the Year" award anytime soon but when the fun is there, who cares?!

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #7,597 of 9,173
  So I'm currently rocking out to some David Bowie (and some metal thrown in for good measure...) with my Z7 and they're just so much fun!

I haven't enjoyed a pair of headphones/iems since first getting the XBA-H1, which I know some people don't think they're really good but they are to me.
At first I was a little hesitant because of some opinions calling them "overly bassy" to the point of being muddy/unclear but to me they're very detailed with good and slamming bass when the music demands it.
Sure, these won't win a "Reference Headphone of the Year" award anytime soon but when the fun is there, who cares?!

These things do rock with Jazz. Grab some Bowie's 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore with the Z7, amazing. I like both the album and single versions of this song.

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #7,599 of 9,173
I don't know if anyone here has had the opportunity, but the Z7 and the Schiit Jotinheim are a fantastic headphone/amp pairing.  I'm having a little audition, and I'm hard pressed to figure out I should own this amp.

The bass has come together nicely, to allow the subbass to shine more.  The mids have come forward more, especially with female vocals.  And the treble has a little more sparkle.

The only negative I hear so far, is an increased recognition of the resonance in the cups.  That's something wasn't very noticed to me before, but its come more forward...

I suggest an audition to everyone.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #7,600 of 9,173
I don't know if anyone here has had the opportunity, but the Z7 and the Schiit Jotinheim are a fantastic headphone/amp pairing.  I'm having a little audition, and I'm hard pressed to figure out I should own this amp.

The bass has come together nicely, to allow the subbass to shine more.  The mids have come forward more, especially with female vocals.  And the treble has a little more sparkle.

The only negative I hear so far, is an increased recognition of the resonance in the cups.  That's something wasn't very noticed to me before, but its come more forward...

I suggest an audition to everyone.

The Meier Audio Jazz FF does the same thing. An audition is recommended to all Z7 owners.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #7,602 of 9,173
Cetero censeo Cartaginem delendam esse!

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #7,603 of 9,173
My man got them for me for 400 euro, he will give me them for a 50% off 200 euro! He says i aleady spent too much money on the visit to Germany and i took a hard hit on wallet

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #7,605 of 9,173

My man got them for me for 400 euro, he will give me them for a 50% off 200 euro! He says i aleady spent too much money on the visit to Germany and i took a hard hit on wallet

Welcome to the club!

​Thanks
beerchug.gif
​ must wait all the rest of october, and november and then i fly to germany on dec. 1st

Users who are viewing this thread

Back