Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,622 of 9,173

Thanks for the info, good to know these aren't so hungry for power

Even Z1R is not power hungry
biggrin.gif

and how do they sound compared to Z7s? as for pricing i will go Z7/Z5 IEM + WM1A

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #7,623 of 9,173
I've got Z7 almost 5 months ago. They sounded veiled with uncontrolled bass. I even thought to get rid of them.
But now they sound awesome. Don't know: brain break in or Z7 really is changed after 100-200 hours.

Veil is gone, they are still dark and bassy but in good way now.
Using them with Teac UD-503 (+external clock) and balanced Kimber.

I got my Z7's back in March and it took a while for me to adjust to mine also. Just like you, out of disappointment and frustration I also considered selling them. But I just keep playing them. It was really strange, after about 6-7 weeks they just "bloomed" almost like over night it seemed, and now I absolutely love them. Like you, I'm so glad I didn't give up on the Z7. Back in July I got the unbalanced Kimber's for them which opened them up even more.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #7,625 of 9,173

I had the opportunity to hear the Z1R last weekend at our Southeastern Michigan meet and they are fabulous. They kill my Z7s and were the star or the meet.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #7,626 of 9,173

I had the opportunity to hear the Z1R last weekend at our Southeastern Michigan meet and they are fabulous. They kill my Z7s and were the star or the meet.

Could you elaborate a little bit on the kill?

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #7,627 of 9,173
@Whitigir you've modded your MDR-Z7s with silver cables and padded cups.. and now you've got the Z1Rs.. are you going to sell your modded Z7? or still want to keep them?

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7,629 of 9,173
@Whitigir
 you've modded your MDR-Z7s with silver cables and padded cups.. and now you've got the Z1Rs.. are you going to sell your modded Z7? or still want to keep them?

How about waiting till you get your Z7 and give it a proper listen?

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #7,630 of 9,173

@Whitigir
 you've modded your MDR-Z7s with silver cables and padded cups.. and now you've got the Z1Rs.. are you going to sell your modded Z7? or still want to keep them?

How about waiting till you get your Z7 and give it a proper listen?

​Yes i am doing so, i was just asking with a bit of sarcasm
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #7,631 of 9,173
Hey guys. Secured these today. They only have around 20 or so hours on them. Price is in kiwi pesos.

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #7,632 of 9,173
I'm beginning to question Sony's reliability here.  Last night, the left channel on my Z7 has stopped working.  I originally thought it was my cable (spent an hour resoldering my TRRS jack and all), but sadly it is the left driver that went dead.  I disassembled everything and indeed it was the left driver that no longer making any music.  My Z7 has less than 500 hours of play time and I'm the original owner...very disappointed.  I will have invest $130 on this piece of crap and order a replacement from Sony.  Sorry for my rant guys.  

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #7,633 of 9,173
  I'm beginning to question Sony's reliability here.  Last night, the left channel on my Z7 has stopped working.  I originally thought it was my cable (spent an hour resoldering my TRRS jack and all), but sadly it is the left driver that went dead.  I disassembled everything and indeed it was the left driver that no longer making any music.  My Z7 has less than 500 hours of play time and I'm the original owner...very disappointed.  I will have invest $130 on this piece of crap and order a replacement from Sony.  Sorry for my rant guys.  

In japan, sony's poor quality control is famous. its called "Sony timer!" in japan. because they explode like time bomb. lol
since global capitalism take over Sony, They are no longer traditional Japanese company...

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #7,634 of 9,173
and what are you going to do? repair them or get the z1r?

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #7,635 of 9,173

In japan, sony's poor quality control is famous. its called "Sony timer!" in japan. because they explode like time bomb. lol
since global capitalism take over Sony, They are no longer traditional Japanese company...

For the numbers they produce ofc you will get defects, but overall Sony has a positive reputation relative to other Japanese Companies.

I beat the crap out of my xb1k, and no issues for i dont know now... 3 /4 years

Never had any issues with Sony cans. They can take a beating and keep breathing.

Sorry to hear of the z7 to that feller, but if the headphone is really enjoyable its worth getting replacement drivers or well yea onto another ship

and if z1r im sure that will heal all wounds lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back