Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 10, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #7,606 of 9,173

These things do rock with Jazz. Grab some Bowie's 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore with the Z7, amazing. I like both the album and single versions of this song.

I already listened to the whole Blackstar album and really enjoyed it. My Z7 have handled everything I've thrown at them marvelously!

Try some Acoustic Alchemy with these babies. Delicious!

Will do! I always like getting new musical recommendations

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #7,607 of 9,173
My take on the XBA-Z5

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-xba-z5-ultimate-hi-res-in-ear-headphone/reviews/17043

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #7,608 of 9,173
My son managed to strip the threads on the arm that holds the right cup to the headband.  The thread on the bolt/screw attached to the headband and allows the cup to swivel is OK, but the female end in the arm attached to the cup must be stripped enough that it won't accept the screw/bolt.

Any thoughts on how to get them repaired for him?  

Thanks in advance.

HS

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #7,609 of 9,173
  My son managed to strip the threads on the arm that holds the right cup to the headband.  The thread on the bolt/screw attached to the headband and allows the cup to swivel is OK, but the female end in the arm attached to the cup must be stripped enough that it won't accept the screw/bolt.

Any thoughts on how to get them repaired for him?  

Thanks in advance.

HS

You need a new right earcup hanger item # 4-541-013-01, try to order it from Sony.

Got this from the service manual:

https://docs.sony.com/release/MDSM/989605201_sm.pdf

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #7,611 of 9,173
I've got Z7 almost 5 months ago. They sounded veiled with uncontrolled bass. I even thought to get rid of them.
But now they sound awesome. Don't know: brain break in or Z7 really is changed after 100-200 hours.
Veil is gone, they are still dark and bassy but in good way now.
Using them with Teac UD-503 (+external clock) and balanced Kimber.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #7,612 of 9,173
I've got Z7 almost 5 months ago. They sounded veiled with uncontrolled bass. I even thought to get rid of them.
But now they sound awesome. Don't know: brain break in or Z7 really is changed after 100-200 hours.

A lot of this is brain burn in. And also depends on where you come from headphone wise. We are more flexible with our ears/brain than we know and can adjust quite a bit to a new sound. It only takes some time. Glad you like them.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #7,613 of 9,173

Could be brain burn-in. But to be honest, I never find the Z7 to be veiled or lacking in resolution, even compared to higher tier headphones like HD800. It has this separated imaging between lower-mid and mid-bass that is what I believe the "feel the air" tuning is. Different bands of frequency can sound disconnected with some recordings, which is what I consider the biggest downfall of MDR-Z7. But it's also this quality that makes it feel really "drum" like, that you can feel the "space" inside the housing (a little bit of reverb). It handles complex music very well, and the mellow and relaxing sound signature works very well with poorly recorded stuff, like old classical recordings with hissing masters and shrieking strings and brass sections (many great conductors' records are like this).

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #7,614 of 9,173
My friend from Hamburg says he likes the build quality of the Z7s a lot. wonder how that durable are the MDR-Z1R given they have paper cups and wire mesh construction

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #7,616 of 9,173
If XBA-Z5 sound like speakers, bet the Z7 too or better and well a question: do these need High gain (certain daps offer gain levels)?

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #7,618 of 9,173

If XBA-Z5 sound like speakers, bet the Z7 too or better and well a question: do these need High gain (certain daps offer gain levels)?

In my opinion, no. Although it depends on the volume level you like. What volume level do you use on a walkman while listening with your XBA-Z5?

arround 08-10 of 30 so thats about 26.6% to 33.33%

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #7,620 of 9,173

Z7 don't need high gain. On LG V10 on high gain mode the volume is 30-40% max and it's loud. On ifi iCan2 on mid-gain I can't pass 9 o'clock.

Thanks for the info, good to know these aren't so hungry for power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back