Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 24, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #7,533 of 9,173
How much is burnt in going to change the sound?

For me it goes back and force between great and soso a few times with each can. But I always found that my first impression was correct.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #7,534 of 9,173
If you don't like the sound, 1,000,000 hrs of burn in won't do anything.  Every headphone has compromises regardless of the price even when the compromise is the price - IMO.  Tube/hybrid amps are great to manipulate the coloring.  If you find the Z7 low end a little loose and want to keep them (comfort is out this world), simple dampening mods can help in that area is by far the cheapest approach; next are cable swaps.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #7,535 of 9,173
If you don't like the sound, 1,000,000 hrs of burn in won't do anything.  Every headphone has compromises regardless of the price even when the compromise is the price - IMO.  Tube/hybrid amps are great to manipulate the coloring.  If you find the Z7 low end a little loose and want to keep them (comfort is out this world), simple dampening mods can help in that area is by far the cheapest approach; next are cable swaps.
thanks for the reply! Yeah the only part where I'm not 100% satisfied is the bass. It seems a bit too much and not crispy enough. Just by a little bit though! I want to listen to as it is now for a few months then go for the damping mod. I hope that way it'll give me a better understanding of this headphone. I read somewhere else that burn in is not scientifically justified, it's still a myth, so Idk. I was just curious about how much of the sound is determined by my tube amp in a system. Oh and is the damping mod reversible?

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #7,537 of 9,173
How does Kimber Axios compare to the Sony/Kimber Balanced Cable for the PHA-3?

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #7,539 of 9,173
Anyone used Sorbothane on these yet.
I searched and nothing came up.
Perhaps there is though search functions are not always %100.
 I keep reading all the impressions and it pains me to think nobody has tried it for such an easy and reversible product that can give incredible results on the cheap.
Some results can be beyond subtle.
Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a cheapo Z7 to try it out on.

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #7,540 of 9,173
The guitar player for the band Stories (Brother Louis #1 in 1973) told me last night that the power tube of an amp gives it its characteristic sound. He said the pre-amp tunes don't affect the sound nearly as much. Therefore, the difference between Marshall, Fender, and Soldano guitar amps, as an example. So, if you use amp tubes that have a deeper tone you may have an overall thicker or loose bass sound. Likewise, a brighter amp tube may lighten up the tone considerably.
Maybe you can head over to the tube amp forum for some help with selection of the right setup for the sound you want.

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #7,541 of 9,173
thanks for the reply! Yeah the only part where I'm not 100% satisfied is the bass. It seems a bit too much and not crispy enough. Just by a little bit though! I want to listen to as it is now for a few months then go for the damping mod. I hope that way it'll give me a better understanding of this headphone. I read somewhere else that burn in is not scientifically justified, it's still a myth, so Idk. I was just curious about how much of the sound is determined by my tube amp in a system. Oh and is the damping mod reversible?

Go for it.  That's a great approach to listen to it for a few months to get really familiar to the sonic character.  Just make sure to give your brain enough time for readjustment if you headphone swap in-between or swap out parts of the chain (i.e. dacs and amps).  Yes, the mods I did are fully reversible. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #7,542 of 9,173
The guitar player for the band Stories (Brother Louis #1 in 1973) told me last night that the power tube of an amp gives it its characteristic sound. He said the pre-amp tunes don't affect the sound nearly as much. Therefore, the difference between Marshall, Fender, and Soldano guitar amps, as an example. So, if you use amp tubes that have a deeper tone you may have an overall thicker or loose bass sound. Likewise, a brighter amp tube may lighten up the tone considerably.
Maybe you can head over to the tube amp forum for some help with selection of the right setup for the sound you want.

There are no 100%'s when it comes to tube amps. It all depends on how the amp is designed. I would not use a cheap tube amp with the Z7, except maybe the vahalla 2. But that is just me and I am a tube guy. If I was to use one I would stay away from the fat warm sounding tubes and go for something more neutral and fast, such as siemens, telefunken or the inexpensive tesla from the tubemonger. I like fast powerful solid state amps with the Z7, but again this just my opinion.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #7,544 of 9,173
  How does Kimber Axios compare to the Sony/Kimber Balanced Cable for the PHA-3?

It should be better but I honestly would get a moon-audio silver cable instead.  The Z7 is already warm sounding headphones.  You don't need extra warmth from the Kimber Axios.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back