Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 18, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #7,486 of 9,173
Ok, back to the Z7. This phone is the first that I find so comfortable and rugged that I can lay in bed, watching movie, fell asleep with and still has room to wiggles. I take it on airplane, fly with me....etc...traveling.

For build like this, and the quality of sound ? And then the price ? It is un-beatable in my book yet. Not to mention the mods to bring it further. I doubt there is anything out there ATM can do all this and does not cost an arm and leg

Reason i will get one

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #7,487 of 9,173
Relatively new MDR-Z7 owner here. I snagged a used one off of Ebay for about $300. Any other owners here experience some slight channel imbalance in the bass? On my unit, the bass seems ever so slightly stronger in the right earcup compared to the left. I'm using it with a Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp and Modi Multibit DAC. I've ruled out the other possibilities as I've tested with my other 'phones, and several tubes. I'm using the stock unbalanced cable, and I've been contemplating getting the Kimber Kable upgrade. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #7,488 of 9,173
Relatively new MDR-Z7 owner here. I snagged a used one off of Ebay for about $300. Any other owners here experience some slight channel imbalance in the bass? On my unit, the bass seems ever so slightly stronger in the right earcup compared to the left. I'm using it with a Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp and Modi Multibit DAC. I've ruled out the other possibilities as I've tested with my other 'phones, and several tubes. I'm using the stock unbalanced cable, and I've been contemplating getting the Kimber Kable upgrade. 

I did not have any kind of issue on bass being stronger on either channel. Try to listen to a different song. You could also try to reconnect the cable on the headphones.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #7,489 of 9,173
I did not have any kind of issue on bass being stronger on either channel. Try to listen to a different song. You could also try to reconnect the cable on the headphones.

I do have some imbalance but it is natural imbalance
biggrin.gif
​, i have unilateral hearing loss (not complete deaf right ear, i can hear if i cranck volyme tooo loud)

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #7,490 of 9,173

You might want to change the earcup side cables from left to right and vice versa. If the imbalance remains, it is the can, if it switches side it is either the cable or the Schiit stack. You could also try a different source like a DAP or your phone for comparison

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #7,492 of 9,173
Could also be the cable.  Try switching from left to right.  If the cable is about to go out it could lead to slight imbalanced issue.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #7,493 of 9,173
I don't know if this will help, but the other day I thought one of my cans was sounding louder in one ear vs the other.

One of my nostrils was slightly blocked affecting my ear's ability to hear at regular volume (it was like 95%)

so i just flipped cans. Left side on right ear.

It was my ear,

I'm not saying your headphones could be slightly with issue. Just this happens, and it messes with your mind.

Also i noticed when i turn my head it goes into balance, unbalance.

This really messes with me, but i see these types of things are not uncommon.

wink_face.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #7,494 of 9,173

I wonder if your Z7 were opened up?  Maybe modded? I know the bass ports in the cups play a very important role in the bass presence in these headphones.  If one of the 4 ports got slightly blocked, I sure it would be thought of as a bass imbalance...

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #7,496 of 9,173
  Would you guys say z7 is a step up from HD600? I just checked the price for z7 and it's quite tempting

IMO, the Z7 is a funner headphone. They sound quite a bit different to compare A vs A

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #7,498 of 9,173
  More V-shaped? How's its midrange representation?

Midrange on the Z7 is smoother but more pulled back compared to the 600/650. I would say overall the Z7 sounds more refined assuming you are pairing it with a suitable amplifier.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #7,500 of 9,173
  yeah I have a schiit stack (VALI2+MODI2U)

The Z7 should make a nice compliment to your HD600, and your Schiit stack would drive them just fine.  Expect a more bass heavy experience, and an impression that the mids are "sucked out".  But that's just the HD600 spoiling you in that regard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back