Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 17, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #7,456 of 9,173
I am more than happy witht the stock balanced cable and my Pono player. They combination has amazing synergy in my experience.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #7,457 of 9,173
What amp do you guys pair the z7? Right now I am using dragonfly red and it really opened up the mids and removed the feeling that I once had wherein the bass overlaps with the mids.

I spent a week traveling with the PHA-3 + MDR-Z7 and that pairing is magic.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #7,458 of 9,173
What amp do you guys pair the z7? Right now I am using dragonfly red and it really opened up the mids and removed the feeling that I once had wherein the bass overlaps with the mids.

I am running  Emotiva ERC-3 Balanced CD Player - Matrix HPA-3-B Balanced Amp - with Wywires Red Balanced Headphone Cable.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #7,461 of 9,173

Sony NWZ-ZX1 Walkman, the Z7 was made for and with this DAP, great synergy.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,463 of 9,173
I am more than happy witht the stock balanced cable and my Pono player. They combination has amazing synergy in my experience.

I also bought a Pono earlier this year. The Z7 was the reason. It sounded best with the balanced cable from the Pono. But guess what, it sounded even better unbalanced out of the ZX1. And the battery drain on the Pono was far to fast for me. Sold the Pono after only 6 weeks with no loss. So yes if the DAP/amp is balanced go balanced, but it is not mandatory to go balanced to get the best sound.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,467 of 9,173

I also bought a Pono earlier this year. The Z7 was the reason. It sounded best with the balanced cable from the Pono. But guess what, it sounded even better unbalanced out of the ZX1. And the battery drain on the Pono was far to fast for me. Sold the Pono after only 6 weeks with no loss. So yes if the DAP/amp is balanced go balanced, but it is not mandatory to go balanced to get the best sound.

Not mandatory, but it sure made a substantial difference with the PHA-3, using the stock cables that came with the Z7s.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #7,469 of 9,173
I had the Ayre Codex. That's a mild improvement over the PHA-3 with the Z7, but I disliked the vertical balanced ports positions. Glad that the PONO has the analog amplification DNA from the Codex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back