Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 9, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #7,426 of 9,173
Definitely Z5 I actually like the Z5 even a bit more than my Z7.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #7,427 of 9,173

Hey fella keep me updated! i wanna know if my store impressions are correct, tody i get my XBA-Z5

I will certainly try! I've been listening to my Z7 for the last 30 minutes or so to the Damnation album by Opeth (my favorite band) and I've enjoyed them very much. I'm not a believer of burn-in so I just got to listening right away after taking them out of the box.
After listening to them for a little while I can hear why some people refer to these cans as bass heavy. There bass is pronounced but not in a bad way like Beats or the like, but in a way that the music feels more "powerful" (I don't know if that's the correct term, and I don't really care haha...) but never overbearing. Everything else is just as wonderful.
One thing that surprised me was the soundstage. It is huge! The only other headphones or IEMs that rival it are my HD598SE and those are open-back.
Maaaaaaaaybe if you ask nicely I can listen to some of your "grandpa" (no offense intended... maybe a little... ok, no...) music and tell you how it sounds out of the Z7. Got any more questions?

I'm sure you'll find your new Z7's to be great on their own. Congratulations on getting them.
Don't worry about distinguishing between music and "audiophile" music, since so much "regular" music was very well recorded that it is really the "audiophile" music. Well, maybe not the old Van Halen stuff. -that was fast and furious production.
The hi-res music you can buy may be more in the realm of theory more than practice for most of us. David Bowie music is plenty good, as is most classic rock music.
Your Z7's will let you hear a lot of the background sounds in the recordings, which I think is pretty hi-res!
Enjoy those cans, man!

Thanks!
I often use the term "audiophile music" as derogatory to refer to the female vocalist soft pop or jazz that seem to be the preferred genres here on Head-fi (although I say it in a "funny" way and not trying to offend anyone) but you're right, classic rock seems to be well recorded for the most part and everybody should like David Bowie, or at least his song Space Oddity.
I often find myself not minding about the frequency response or some other specs of the cans/equipment I'm listening at a specific moment, but rather just enjoying the music I love, ranging from the relaxed sound from Opeth's "Harvest" to the brutal and almost violent sound from Crimson Moonlight's "Kingdom of the Wolf", passing along the way through the seemingly weird sound of David Bowie's "Space Oddity"

The most important aspect of your headphones is that you're able to enjoy them, and I believe I will enjoy my MDR-Z7 plenty!

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #7,430 of 9,173
  I was just reading on the Z1R thread how the Z7 couldn't hold up to the HD800, HD800S, LCD-3, and HE1000.  Well Duh!  All those are triple or quadruple the price of the Z7 (or more depending how you shop).  Seems a bit of an unfair expectation.  I was going to respond, but I feared the dreaded "They're Sony, if they wanted they could crush all those at the Z7 price"...

It's definitely not as good as those cans but those cans aren't so much better than the Z7 as the price would lead you to believe. Fundamentally all good cans just have different sound signatures from the same, high quality sources (dacs, amps, source file are all important). The Z7 (I modded mine with currawong's surgical tape mod) can hang with all my cans : HD700, HD598, TH-X00PH, Audeze LCD-2.2NF, AKG 7XX, Grado RS1, Grado HF1. Every single one of those cans does something the others don't that I enjoy... None of them I would consider the top end of headphones but none of them are bad either. most of them are in the 500 dollar range except the Audezes. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #7,431 of 9,173

It's definitely not as good as those cans but those cans aren't so much better than the Z7 as the price would lead you to believe. Fundamentally all good cans just have different sound signatures from the same, high quality sources (dacs, amps, source file are all important). The Z7 (I modded mine with currawong's surgical tape mod) can hang with all my cans : HD700, HD598, TH-X00PH, Audeze LCD-2.2NF, AKG 7XX, Grado RS1, Grado HF1. Every single one of those cans does something the others don't that I enjoy... None of them I would consider the top end of headphones but none of them are bad either. most of them are in the 500 dollar range except the Audezes. 

I think the Z7 is not a bad can.  It isn't as bad as some of the posts would lead you to believe.  However, against cans like the TH900, it is obvious where one stops and where the other begins.  The MDR-Z1R too.  Once again, price factor comes into play.

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #7,433 of 9,173
Z7 is not a bad headphones, it has the "potentials" to be a beast. The one thing is that it is LCP, so it has the tints of plastic and metallic in it tonality at places, that is because I compare it to both the SA5000 and 900.

However, the modified Z7 is excellent for modern music where a lot of synthesized instruments plays are taking places. 900 and SA5000 is too truthful, it sounds Wooly on synthetic plays, the Z7 with Plastic tint and Metallic tint just make it wonderfully explosive and sparkling.

After modifications, the Z7 is hard to beat in all of : build quality, sound performances, soundstage and sound field for a closed headphones as a whole package

According to what I experienced from my gears, I think the Z1R is out to be one of the best dynamic headphones for modern music, and the R 10 will still be the king of Classic and Instrumentals. It will depends a lot on your taste, but having both will be just a compliment :D. Be glad that Sony is taking it a step further. I wished Fostex would take another step to make the king of Bio-cell

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #7,434 of 9,173
  It's a preference. The TH900 is great, but the Z7 is less mid scooped and better for those who don't like as much treble.

As is everything.  But technicality wise, when we talk soundstage, imaging, separation, etc., that's where the differences start coming apart. Also bass control.  That said, I look forward the Z1R.  I think, to a certain extent, it was what the Z7 was supposed to be.  Of course, I can't speak for its new price...

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #7,435 of 9,173

You are not alone.  I'm on that boat too until Whitigr modded my Z7 and I upgraded the cable.

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #7,436 of 9,173

So has anyone compared the Z5 to the A3 that own the Z7's? I am looking to get one of the two at some point and absolutely loved the sound of th Z7's and would want something similar. Obviously I'm going to assume the the Z5's are better, but I've seen some A3's going for about $175 and feel like I'm not sure the Z5's are with nearly 2 1/2 times as much. Looking for some help! Thanks :)

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #7,437 of 9,173

So has anyone compared the Z5 to the A3 that own the Z7's? I am looking to get one of the two at some point and absolutely loved the sound of th Z7's and would want something similar. Obviously I'm going to assume the the Z5's are better, but I've seen some A3's going for about $175 and feel like I'm not sure the Z5's are with nearly 2 1/2 times as much. Looking for some help! Thanks :)
I owned the A3 and now I own the Z5, I have demoed the Z7 in a store.

The Z5 and Z7 are quite similar in character but the Z5 have slightly bigger soundstage and a bit more resolution, in contrast the A3 has a smaller soundstage, more upped treble that reveals everything, more forward mid range and rumbly bass (same can be said of z5 but they have far more controlled bass and coherent sound). Aside that z5 and Z7 are built or metal whereas a3 is plastic and prone to scratches easily

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #7,438 of 9,173
I owned the A3 and now I own the Z5, I have demoed the Z7 in a store.
Oh man, you're making it seem as if I would not be content with the A3's! Lol. I was really hoping you'd tell me that there wasn't that big of a difference and I could spend so much less and be happy. Thanks for your help! :)
The Z5 and Z7 are quite similar in character but the Z5 have slightly bigger soundstage and a bit more resolution, in contrast the A3 has a smaller soundstage, more upped treble that reveals everything, more forward mid range and rumbly bass (same can be said of z5 but they have far more controlled bass and coherent sound). Aside that z5 and Z7 are built or metal whereas a3 is plastic and prone to scratches easily

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #7,439 of 9,173
I must say Z7 and z5 to shine they bot require a source that can drive them to its max potential.

Tested the Z7 with a zx100 Walkman and the Z5 I have also heard one day with the Walkman (sold the Walkman the next day) and they shine

Now that I use my z5 with an Xperia M2 hey sound boomy and dull with not so much air present, like a pair of A3 (until I get a WM1A Walkman I will habe to use my phone as DAP)

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #7,440 of 9,173
I must say Z7 and z5 to shine they bot require a source that can drive them to its max potential.

Tested the Z7 with a zx100 Walkman and the Z5 I have also heard one day with the Walkman (sold the Walkman the next day) and they shine

Now that I use my z5 with an Xperia M2 hey sound boomy and dull with not so much air present, like a pair of A3 (until I get a WM1A Walkman I will habe to use my phone as DAP)

Yeah I know what you mean about the source. I would be driving them with a PHA-3 once I get one. Had one in the past and absolutely loved it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back