Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 2, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #7,396 of 9,173
This time i wont get toys anymore (ZX100 and XBA-A3 plastic) i will be beffing up Z5,Z7, WM1A all metal

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #7,399 of 9,173
Sep 2, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #7,401 of 9,173
The new Z1R sure look to be some of the best cans out there (or they will when they're released) but they're out of my budget.

With that said, I finally caved in and ordered the Z7 as a late birthday present to myself. From what I've read on this thread I think I'll like them well enough to not have any regrets, plus it'll let me dip my ears into mid-end (or maybe bottom high-end) cans and determine for myself if they're worth the asking price.

I think I'll be pleasantly surprised when they arrive...

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #7,402 of 9,173
The new Z1R sure look to be some of the best cans out there (or they will when they're released) but they're out of my budget.

With that said, I finally caved in and ordered the Z7 as a late birthday present to myself. From what I've read on this thread I think I'll like them well enough to not have any regrets, plus it'll let me dip my ears into mid-end (or maybe bottom high-end) cans and determine for myself if they're worth the asking price.

I think I'll be pleasantly surprised when they arrive...
I ordered the XBA-Z5

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #7,403 of 9,173
  Is anyone else hoping for a 4th Kimber option for the Z7?  I would love to see a 4.4mm balanced cable to take advantage of the new Sony DAPs announced yesterday...

Here it is: http://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-b20sb1

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #7,404 of 9,173

It's like they're made specifically to pair with their gold plated walkman!

When you get them, let them play some pandora for a while and while that's going on listen to your other cans. Then switch to the Z7's.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #7,405 of 9,173
Some people say the Z7 sound awful, like beats by dr dre (bass) ...

IMO I have been testing them in a store in my city and for classical music these ain't beats, yes they have powerful deep rumbling bass, but I found to be overall "tonally balanced" (nothing stands out) and this is being driven from a 15mW + 15mW sony ZX100 walkman headphone jack, no amp, really like them.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #7,406 of 9,173

I haven't read than anywhere, inside or outside of HeadFi.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #7,407 of 9,173

I haven't read than anywhere, inside or outside of HeadFi.

I too have never heard or read of that, nor has something liek that ever entered my mind. That's rather left field material.

Your Amazon.com order of "Singles (2015 Remaster) (2CD)".

Any New Order, Joy Division fans? 4 days till this disc is out. I cannot wait for Frank Arkwright's spin on Ceremony's remaster.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #7,408 of 9,173

IMO I have been testing them in a store in my city and for classical music these ain't beats, yes they have powerful deep rumbling bass, but I found to be overall "tonally balanced" (nothing stands out) and this is being driven from a 15mW + 15mW sony ZX100 walkman headphone jack, no amp, really like them.

Some people think many things.  Few things are accurate to me though.  Granted, Z7 and the new Z1R aren't on the same level, but neither is the price.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #7,409 of 9,173
I was just reading on the Z1R thread how the Z7 couldn't hold up to the HD800, HD800S, LCD-3, and HE1000.  Well Duh!  All those are triple or quadruple the price of the Z7 (or more depending how you shop).  Seems a bit of an unfair expectation.  I was going to respond, but I feared the dreaded "They're Sony, if they wanted they could crush all those at the Z7 price"...

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #7,410 of 9,173
  I was just reading on the Z1R thread how the Z7 couldn't hold up to the HD800, HD800S, LCD-3, and HE1000.  Well Duh!  All those are triple or quadruple the price of the Z7 (or more depending how you shop).  Seems a bit of an unfair expectation.  I was going to respond, but I feared the dreaded "They're Sony, if they wanted they could crush all those at the Z7 price"...

Well there's always that association of big company vs boutique manufacturer.  At any rate, what others say shouldn't really stop you from posting a valid point.  Part of this probably also occurred because of the tendency to compare flagships to flagships w/o necessarily considering cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back