Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #7,382 of 9,173
same here. They'll even expect you to pay higher for the Kimbers separately.

Just received my Kimber Kables for the Z7 ... wow, serious build quality and just beautiful to look at.

I swear these 'phones open up with the Kimbers.

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #7,383 of 9,173

Just received my Kimber Kables for the Z7 ... wow, serious build quality and just beautiful to look at.

I swear these 'phones open up with the Kimbers.

I'm sure its not as big of a difference as everyone (including myself) reports.  But yeah, we all heard that too.  The wow factor really must play a part...

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #7,384 of 9,173
Yup, the psychological will alway outpace the actual in this hobby.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #7,385 of 9,173
Seems the cups of the new flagship are made of Japanese paper so I am wondering the durability of these.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #7,387 of 9,173

I'm sure its not as big of a difference as everyone (including myself) reports.  But yeah, we all heard that too.  The wow factor really must play a part...

Yup, the psychological will alway outpace the actual in this hobby.

I know... but what's the fun in that? 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #7,388 of 9,173

Seems the cups of the new flagship are made of Japanese paper so I am wondering the durability of these.

Paper inside, but the cups are plastic materials. If you wonder, wonder about long term effects...will the dust clog up the cups
biggrin.gif

Prefer metal of the Z7

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #7,389 of 9,173
  I'm sure its not as big of a difference as everyone (including myself) reports.

Crazy idea to maybe ask Tyll at Inner Fidelity or anyone with a binaural microphone and the proper measurement gear.
Send them stock MDR-Z7 with stock cables, and a modded MDR-Z7. Plus a set of both Kimber cables, and silver cables.
Use the binaural microphone to test every combination and get actual graphs showing what sonic differences are there.
Post mod, there may be a reduction of mid-range resonances, and probably a bit less low mids cleaning up their sound.
I think we may even see a slight extension of the highs with Kimbers or especially silver. This could be huge if it works.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #7,391 of 9,173
Is anyone else hoping for a 4th Kimber option for the Z7?  I would love to see a 4.4mm balanced cable to take advantage of the new Sony DAPs announced yesterday...

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #7,394 of 9,173
Crazy idea to maybe ask Tyll at Inner Fidelity or anyone with a binaural microphone and the proper measurement gear.

Send them stock MDR-Z7 with stock cables, and a modded MDR-Z7. Plus a set of both Kimber cables, and silver cables.
Use the binaural microphone to test every combination and get actual graphs showing what sonic differences are there.
Post mod, there may be a reduction of mid-range resonances, and probably a bit less low mids cleaning up their sound.

I think we may even see a slight extension of the highs with Kimbers or especially silver. This could be huge if it works.

I have a feeling many of you will not be pleased with the outcome. Careful what you wish for.:wink:

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #7,395 of 9,173
Cables quality do affect the sound quality in the Z7, period. It is regardless of the cables looking good or bad, unless you bought fake and counterfeit cable quality

Yeah we know your opinions, put some measurements forward to validate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back